Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD (https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/)
-   -   Would appreciate help in finding / editing the voltage offset in the RX480 Bios (https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1621800-would-appreciate-help-finding-editing-voltage-offset-rx480-bios.html)

jeb101 01-26-2017 06:04 AM

I have a Sapphire Nitro 480 OC (1342mhz stock), and am familiar with WattTool / Polaris bios Editor, but I'm trying to find a permanent solution, and want to up the default voltage offset. Currently, the bios is set to +25mv stock, and am looking for help finding the offset so I can change it.

Reason is, I have a full cover block on it, and currently need to use Wattman to bring the voltage up to 1175mv, then increase the offset in afterburner, those stack. So I assume they use different methods to apply voltage.

I have attached the current bios I am using if one of you need it as a reference to find the offset, but would really like being able to do it myself, since I want to learn as I go. Voltage change in the bios I found to be unreliable and find it more unstable, but if I were able to overclock using a single tool, it would be ideal.

All your help / info / pointers are all greatly appreciated!

Cheers

01.24.2017mod.rom 109k .zip file

gupsterg 01-26-2017 10:34 AM

MSI AB, etc can store info on ROM, so best to delete/uninstall those apps without keeping any profiles,etc prior to flashing and reinstall after new flash done.

Once you flash a modified ROM where IR3567B is being reprogrammed do power down and up PC fully so it gets reintialised with new data.

Also you may have to either reset driver to factory defaults or uninstall and reinstall if anomaly occurs.

WattMan alters VID, technically software PowerPlay AFAIK.

MSI AB alters the VDDC offset in IR3567B via driver, through SMC messaging, which then does I2C command to IR3567B AFAIK.

As I use OC SW in OS very little, I can not say if using both in OS leads to issues. You can do both in ROM and have no issue AFAIK with cards like Hawaii/Fiji I have had.

jeb101 01-26-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

MSI AB, etc can store info on ROM, so best to delete/uninstall those apps without keeping any profiles,etc prior to flashing and reinstall after new flash done.

Once you flash a modified ROM where IR3567B is being reprogrammed do power down and up PC fully so it gets reintialised with new data.

Also you may have to either reset driver to factory defaults or uninstall and reinstall if anomaly occurs.

WattMan alters VID, technically software PowerPlay AFAIK.

MSI AB alters the VDDC offset in IR3567B via driver, through SMC messaging, which then does I2C command to IR3567B AFAIK.

As I use OC SW in OS very little, I can not say if using both in OS leads to issues. You can do both in ROM and have no issue AFAIK with cards like Hawaii/Fiji I have had.

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I thought I had at least a basic understanding, then I tried to understand Two's Complement, now I'm not quite sure the value to change. Please pardon my lack of knowledge (the stupid question). If I get this right, would updating the 04h be the area where I'd want to increase the multiplier, so for example, if I'd want 10 (example), I'd change the value to 0Ah? But I simply don't have a grasp of Two's Complement.. I am reading into the wiki, and some more info online. But I believe I may of jumped into something little above my head here, at least to have an understanding / have confidence in the work I'm doing. Last thing I want to do is burn out the card of course.

Thanks again for all your help, it's very informative and useful!

gupsterg 01-26-2017 12:57 PM

No problem on help smile.gif , happy to share what I can wink.gif .

Yep changing 04h to 0Ah will yield you 10x multiplier of VDDC step wink.gif .

0Ah = 10 (decimal) , 10 x 6.25mV = +62.5mV VDDC Offset.

This video I did for someone in Fiji bios mod will help you wink.gif .

You could always also set a VMAX in ROM / IR3567B. This will limit VDDC to preset value from a table of selectable values, so if you make a mistake in ROM or even in OC SW in OS GPU will never get more than that VDDC limit. I do this on cards I meddle with wink.gif .

jeb101 01-26-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

No problem on help smile.gif , happy to share what I can wink.gif .

Yep changing 04h to 0Ah will yield you 10x multiplier of VDDC step wink.gif .

0Ah = 10 (decimal) , 10 x 6.25mV = +62.5mV VDDC Offset.

This video I did for someone in Fiji bios mod will help you wink.gif .

You could always also set a VMAX in ROM / IR3567B. This will limit VDDC to preset value from a table of selectable values, so if you make a mistake in ROM or even in OC SW in OS GPU will never get more than that VDDC limit. I do this on cards I meddle with wink.gif .

Ah, very nice, glad I got that one figured out! Thanks!!

So, this VMAX, would you be able to give me the offset for this one? Sounds like a very good idea to set it at a decent voltage, like 1375mv or something..

Edit: I am looking over your Fiji stuff, many things still relevant to Polaris. This is great stuff, thanks!!

Cheers!

gupsterg 01-26-2017 02:12 PM

The VoltageObjectInfo in your ROM does not have the VMAX register, so it must be set in "memory feature" of voltage control chip.

I can mod your ROM to have VMAX, then what is in ROM takes precedent over "memory feature" of voltage control chip wink.gif .

What VMAX do you wish to have set?

Yep Fiji uses same revision of PowerPlay as Polaris wink.gif .

IR3567B was used on Fiji and Hawaii wink.gif , Hawaii bios mod thread has info as well which can be useful smile.gif . If you wish to do VoltageObjectInfo mod search Hawaii bios mod thread for fSW mod and use the info in the context of VMAX, VMAX register is 3Dh .

jeb101 01-26-2017 02:36 PM

Awesome,
Quote:

The VoltageObjectInfo in your ROM does not have the VMAX register, so it must be set in "memory feature" of voltage control chip.

I can mod your ROM to have VMAX, then what is in ROM takes precedent over "memory feature" of voltage control chip wink.gif .

What VMAX do you wish to have set?

Wow, so much reading to do! This is quite exciting!! If you don't mind, I'd love the VMAX set to 1.363, as it seems to be the highest one I'd be willing to play with, 1.475 seems a little hot, but I guess once it's there it should be a matter of simply updating the bios again.

Out of curiosity, once I applied the change to my bios, I opened and saved it in the polaris bios editor to have a valid sig, this is the right way to go right?

Cheers

gupsterg 01-28-2017 03:06 AM

When on stock ROM/settings can you :-

i) provide AIDA64 SMBus dump (Video link).
ii) MSI AB i2c dump (Video link).

Cheers smile.gif .

jeb101 01-28-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

When on stock ROM/settings can you :-

i) provide AIDA64 SMBus dump (Video link).
ii) MSI AB i2c dump (Video link).

Cheers smile.gif .

Here is the AIDA dump: http://pastebin.com/etBH5iNb
Afterburner dump: http://pastebin.com/mCJQ5EXz

AB went insanely quick, so not sure if it's good, but let me know if it's no good.

Cheers!

Edit: Also added the stock ROM just in case.

Nitro1342_Stock.zip 109k .zip file

gupsterg 02-07-2017 10:57 AM

This is your stock Nitro ROM with VMAX of 1.36875V for GPU smile.gif . It also has a custom UEFI/GOP module which Lordkag of Fernando's Win-RAID forum made me smile.gif . This custom ROM will work with CSM off on mobo UEFI, so you have pure UEFI mode running if required wink.gif , fast boot can also be on but secure boot can not be on.

StockModROM.zip 111k .zip file