Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   How much to fill reservoir? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1625993-how-much-fill-reservoir.html)

Tomahok2 03-19-2017 09:36 PM

I attached some photos of my recently filled and leak tested rig. I am concerned that my res may be filled too much, is this a concern? Is fluid expansion a real issue, or is it too small to be relevant in a pc?

Thanks

dejau 03-20-2017 01:30 AM

General consensus from around the "internet" when I was searching for that very answer – after bleeding, fill it to the brim, the expansion is not an issue.

pangallosr 03-20-2017 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahok2 View Post

I attached some photos of my recently filled and leak tested rig. I am concerned that my res may be filled too much, is this a concern? Is fluid expansion a real issue, or is it too small to be relevant in a pc?

Thanks

Not that you should be getting any where near hot enough. But air left in the reservoir will expand and put additional pressure in your system when it is heated. The less air the better. We are talking minimal amount of psi added though.

Tomahok2 03-20-2017 06:25 AM

Thanks guys. One last question, there is one bubble in my cpu block I just cannot seem to bleed out. Have any tips? Also, how big of a deal is it to get it out?

I attached a picture of the block with the pump on.

damstr 03-22-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys. One last question, there is one bubble in my cpu block I just cannot seem to bleed out. Have any tips? Also, how big of a deal is it to get it out?

I attached a picture of the block with the pump on.
What are you running your pump at? 100%? Also I would rotate the case around on its side the air would want to travel up.

cmpxchg8b 03-22-2017 11:04 AM

Small bubbles like that dissolve with time on their own. Give it few days.

EMUracing 03-24-2017 12:37 AM

With flexible tubing over time some of the water will permeate the tubing and evaporate. So you will have to top up from time to time. Different tubing has different rates of permeation. It is a slow process, so you may have to top it off after 6 months or so. This is why I like to fill my system to the top. Then after a week of running it, top it off after the bleeding process is done. Then I know that I am good for a long time.

straha20 03-24-2017 06:30 AM

Staying on topic, but with my own question...I quite like the idea of my side inlet being above or right at the water line in my reservoir...I find the water movement visually appealing. Aside from bubbles being introduced by splashing which can be mitigated by a baffle, is there any compelling reason not to have a splashy reservoir?

EMUracing 03-24-2017 10:24 AM

Just air bubbles really... don't see any other reasons why is not good.

threephi 03-24-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

You've actually got a decent-sized bubble in there as it is, so there's nothing to worry about. But as others have mentioned, the expansion of water at the range of temperatures and volumes used in PC watercooling is rather small--if you have say 1 quart of water that ranges 10 degrees celsius, the expansion/contraction will be less than 1/2 a teaspoon. I'm not an engineer or a physicist, but I'd guess that turning your pump on and off probably puts a lot more stress on the system, and it's well within the strength of the cooling components to handle.

Silly question, but that's the res inlet on the top, and outlet on the bottom, right?