Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Overclock.net BOINC Team (https://www.overclock.net/forum/365-overclock-net-boinc-team/)
-   -   8th BOINC Pentathlon - Swimming ([email protected]) Project Support (https://www.overclock.net/forum/365-overclock-net-boinc-team/1627903-8th-boinc-pentathlon-swimming-lhc-home-project-support.html)

tictoc 04-13-2017 09:10 AM

[email protected] Homepage

Swimming (CPU) Project

May 12th, 0:00 UTC - May 19th, 0:00 UTC

Countdown to Project Start   |   Countdown to Project End

Server status

Official Team Stats

Project Specific Information:

• [email protected] has three types of apps.
    • The Six Track tasks can be run on any x86 or x86-64 CPU without Virtual Box
    • Theory Simulation can be run on x86 or x86-64 CPU,  with VT-x or AMD-V enabled, and Virtual Box installed on the host system
    • The other tasks can only be run on a x86-64 CPU, with VT-x or AMD-V enabled, and Virtual Box installed on the host system

app_config.xml:

<app_config>
    <app> 
        <name></name>
    </app>    
</app_config>

*Note* app_config.xml is currently empty, and will be updated if there are any optimizations for the project.

tictoc 05-07-2017 05:42 AM

[email protected] has been selected for Swimming.  Like [email protected] there are tasks that require Virtual Box and tasks that can be run with Virtual Box. :thumb:

Diffident 05-07-2017 05:49 AM

Currently there are no non-virtualbox tasks available. mad.gif

bfromcolo 05-07-2017 05:50 AM

Some of the virtual box tasks have huge file downloads, in addition to large memory requirements.  The non Vbox tasks are pretty tame.  I don't know which are most beneficial from a points perspective.

Quote:

Here are the memory and disk requirements for running a single task of an application.

Sixtrack
Requires 512MB of RAM and 1GB of free hard disk space.

Theory
Requires 630MB of RAM and 3GB of free hard disk space ( 0.8GB uncompressed disk image size ) plus ~1GB of RAM overhead for the host operating system.

ATLAS
Requires 1.4GB of RAM and 4GB of free hard disk space ( 2.2GB uncompressed disk image size ) plus ~1GB of RAM overhead for the host operating system.

CMS
Requires 2GB of RAM and 4GB of free hard disk space ( 1.7GB uncompressed disk image size ) plus ~1GB of RAM overhead for the host operating system.

LHCb
Requires 2GB of RAM and 8GB of free hard disk space ( 3.9GB uncompressed disk image size ) plus ~1GB of RAM overhead for the host operating system

bfromcolo 05-07-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffident View Post

Currently there are no non-virtualbox tasks available. mad.gif

I got 3 in linux right after the project was announced just to see how it ran.  But I haven't tried to build up 5 days of anything yet.

Diffident 05-07-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfromcolo View Post

I got 3 in linux right after the project was announced just to see how it ran.  But I haven't tried to build up 5 days of anything yet.

I tired again and just got 14 tasks when I asked for 5 days worth, this is going to suck. mad.gif

tictoc 05-07-2017 05:58 AM

It is going to be interesting. In addition to LHC frequently running out of work, they just migrated all their sub-projects to a single site. Their new distribution system is going to get some rigorous testing.

bfromcolo 05-07-2017 06:08 AM

Poking around their Website Atlas requires at least Virtual Box 5.1.16 and it's associated Extension Pack.  I wish I had anticipated this possibility ahead of time, I think I need to upgrade on one system that has a VM full of Cosmology at the moment.

tictoc 05-07-2017 06:15 AM

This is what I'm seeing :mad:

mmonnin 05-07-2017 06:33 AM

URL to add the project: https://lhcathome.cern.ch/lhcathome/

The one listed in BM's project list is the old one and didn't work for me.

255mb, 1.6gb, 649mb, and 693mb initial downloads for the different apps! FYI. I think its the work files that are ~120mb for Theory simulation which is what I got. I'm downloading several of those.