Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Memory (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/)
-   -   Help OC Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400mhz (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1633974-help-oc-crucial-ballistix-sport-2400mhz.html)

DanteNahuel 07-08-2017 06:10 PM

Hi guys. I just bought a completely new rig:
Aorus x370 gaming 5
Ryzen 1600
MSI 1080
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400mhz 16 16 16 39.

The Vendor claims he can run the RAM to 2933mhz in almost every board
But:

When I set the multiplier to 29, the BIOS shows 2933mhz, but the CPU-Z Aorus shows the frequency as 1197mhz... so which one is right?

How much voltage should I add to make the RAM stable?

Which program should I use to stresstest the RAM and check for stability?

And how much should I tweak the timings?

Thank you in advance.

Blameless 07-09-2017 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteNahuel View Post

The Vendor claims he can run the RAM to 2933mhz in almost every board

I've never seen Ballistix Sport 2400 do more than 2800 or so and some of the newer 2400 stuff won't even do 2666, but if the person selling the sticks is speaking of the specific examples you bought, then it may well be possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteNahuel View Post

When I set the multiplier to 29, the BIOS shows 2933mhz, but the CPU-Z Aorus shows the frequency as 1197mhz... so which one is right?

What tab in CPU-Z are you looking at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteNahuel View Post

How much voltage should I add to make the RAM stable?

I probably would use more than 1.35v on Micron ICs, though some benefit from up to 1.4. What's the vendor say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteNahuel View Post

Which program should I use to stresstest the RAM and check for stability?

Stressapptest from a portable Linux environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteNahuel View Post

And how much should I tweak the timings?

Depends on the clocks you are going for.

I normally run my older set of Ballistix Sport 2400 at 2667MT/s, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v and my newer set at 2400MT/s, 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v. Very tight subtimings on the first set and modestly looser ones on the second.

nexxusty 07-09-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteNahuel View Post

Hi guys. I just bought a completely new rig:
Aorus x370 gaming 5
Ryzen 1600
MSI 1080
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400mhz 16 16 16 39.

The Vendor claims he can run the RAM to 2933mhz in almost every board
But:

When I set the multiplier to 29, the BIOS shows 2933mhz, but the CPU-Z Aorus shows the frequency as 1197mhz... so which one is right?

How much voltage should I add to make the RAM stable?

Which program should I use to stresstest the RAM and check for stability?

And how much should I tweak the timings?

Thank you in advance.

Ewww the "In ALMOST every board line".

Did he say that for the sale or did he basically guarantee it to get you to purchase?

Not trying to hate, however if you don't have Samsung B-Die RAM IC's with your Ryzen CPU you will not have a good time with overclocking the RAM which is what an XMP profile does.

If you can bro, take that RAM back and get a kit of either G.Skill 3200mhz C14 or 3600mhz C15 or C16. Personally I would buy the Trident-Z 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz C14 kit. I'm not a fanboy or anything but I only buy G.Skill RAM and for a reason. They truly do make the best RAM. I've only had positive experiences with G.skill memory. They are also one of if not the easiest sticks to take the heatspreaders off of, which BTW helps with temperatures. Heatspreaders, from what I have seen.... Act more as an insulator than a heatsink/spreader.

My RAM was running at around 38-41c before WITH active cooling.... Took off the heatspreaders, now I see a max of 35c under full load at 1.5v. Not kidding. 35c at 1.5v is really damn good. At that temp I don't ever have to worry about 1.5v being an issue (It's not an issue really... all DDR4 can handle it, it's whether or not the extra voltage is beneficial).

wickedway 05-30-2018 07:28 AM

i have done ok
 
on my 1700 ryzen with the ballistix 16gb 2400 I have achieved a stable overclock 3200mhz.
although timings are loose 17 18 18 18 40 and 1.3v i assume as most kits have higher voltage than this one that it shoudn't effect longevity to much but i would like some clarification on that.

wickedway 05-30-2018 07:32 AM

on my 1700 ryzen with the ballistix 16gb 2400 I have achieved a stable overclock 3200mhz.
although timings are loose 17 18 18 18 40 and 1.3v i assume as most kits have higher voltage than this one that it shoudn't effect longevity to much but i would like some clarification on that.

gyuuula 04-20-2019 12:17 PM

Crucial is mostly using micron memory chips. Micron chips usually don't clock too high, and don't like voltage, and if you try to do a brute force overclocking, you have to loosen the timings so much, it will hurt performance. But they can do some REALLY tight timings at lower speeds, and games usually LIKE tight timings.
Basically, you have to spend a few hour playing with your stix, and figure out, how does it scale with voltage, and get those timings TIGHT :/
Pun intended :D

EDIT
Samsung B-die is ***** expensive. GSkill Aegis and Kinston HyperX use hynix M-die chips, they usually do well enough to max out the memory controller on Ryzen 1000/2000 CPUs. They are not as good as a Samsung B-die, but at least they will not break the bank. I can't even get B-dies my region, and the import fees would raise the price even more.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.