Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [Worklog] Dell Optiplex 170L 2.0 MOD (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1637795-worklog-dell-optiplex-170l-2-0-mod.html)

luisxd 09-07-2017 11:54 AM

Just built a new PC for a friend so he handed me his old one, a stock Dell Optiplex 170L (Pentium 4, 2Gb DDR, 40GB Sata, 8600Gt). First i was going to make it an HTPC but since i currently don't have a case tough i could use this one, with a few modifications of course thumb.gif

The case seems really good and it's very sturdy, also it doesn't has a lot of holes and bays like other cases so it's like a plain sheet when it comes to modding redface.gif . Main problems on the case are cooling and cable management, so i'll be doing some holes for 120mm fans and also i'll try to remove the back panel to be able to route cables on the back of the motherboard tray. About paint i dont know yet, i think i'll figure it out on the way redface.gif

Dell Optiplex 170L on all of it's glory biggrin.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

luisxd 09-07-2017 03:01 PM

Update

Did 2x120mm holes on the bottom since the PSU goes above the motherboard. Also did the holes for the new feets screws.

Still don't know how/where to put this mesh, probably outside with with some epoxy glue redface.gif

Did this one too, i think the most logical mod in any case tongue.gif , it had already holes for a 92mm fan but it doesn't worked for me since i've only got 120mm fans. Also it was too close to the motherboard tray so it was kinda useless even for 92mm fans redface.gif

luisxd 09-07-2017 07:22 PM

Update

Back panel and top panel were together so i had to cut them before take out the rivets from back panel or i would had to take out top panel too.

...voilá!

Now i have to make the holes for cables, i think 2-3 are more than enough for 1x24pin, 3x8pin and 1xsata redface.gif

luisxd 09-08-2017 09:15 PM

Update

Did some cuts today, side window still needs more detailing redface.gif

Found this hdd cage from an old HP case, thought about using it but it get´s on the way of the motherboard (if matx installed) so i´ll have to cut it to make it smaller, not really a fan of having a lot of HDDs on my PC so with 1 slot is more than enough tongue.gif

luisxd 09-09-2017 05:45 PM

Quick update

Changed my mind on the window stile, originally i was going to use round corners but realized i´m more of a square corners guy tongue.gif , actually i ruined them while trying to make them "round" so i had to fix them by making them straight biggrin.gif Window still need some work on it but it´s almost done, been thinking on adding u-channel to give a more clean look but i don´t like how it looks tbh.

Also you can see the feets installed on the photo, stock were too low to give bottom fans a good airflow.

HZCH 09-10-2017 08:17 AM

Oooh "beige" mod case. Therefore I sub!

luisxd 09-10-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZCH View Post

Oooh "beige" mod case. Therefore I sub!

Thanks biggrin.gif

luisxd 09-10-2017 01:42 PM

Quick update

Started to do the motherboard tray holes for cable management but ran out of dremel cutting discs frown.gif , i already ordered more but will have to wait some days for them to arrive redface.gif

luisxd 09-20-2017 10:14 PM

Update

Added the mesh to the bottoms fan holes with epoxy resin. It has some wood waste cause I used two wood pieces as pressure plates to keep the mesh in place while is was still fresh.

Already sanded a little bit with 150 grit to just remove the epoxy excess and wood waste. I´ll sand later with a higher grit before painting the case redface.gif

luisxd 09-21-2017 03:52 PM

Update

Drive cage finished biggrin.gif, took one of the stock ones, they were installed on the front so i had to adjust them to the 5.25" drive bay redface.gif