Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Overclock.net BOINC Team (https://www.overclock.net/forum/365-overclock-net-boinc-team/)
-   -   Projects of the Month for November 2017 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/365-overclock-net-boinc-team/1641144-projects-month-november-2017-a.html)

tictoc 11-01-2017 12:07 AM

November Projects of the Month

World Community Grid

Start: 66 - Goal: 65 - End: 65 | With the 13th WCG Birthday Challenge taking place later in the month, we might as well see if we can run down 65th place while we're warming up for the competition. :D

[email protected]

Start: 36 - Goal: 35 - End: 36 | Rosetta hadn't been up for a POTM yet this year, and with a little extra crunching, we've got a shot to move up to 35th.:thumb:

Moo! Wrapper

Start: 7  - Goal: 7 - End: 6 | We dropped 1 spot from our previous high ranking in June.:mad: Our #7 spot is safe for now, but we can pick up some points in Formula BOINC with a little boost in production.

mmonnin 11-01-2017 03:23 AM

A few spots to gain in FB for these projects. 2-3 in WCG, 1 each in Rosetta/Moo.

Egilman 11-01-2017 04:05 AM

Well I'm getting set up for the month in Moo, looking at bunkering MIP in WCG....

WhiteWulfe 11-01-2017 05:18 AM

Rosetta... Haven't run that for a while since I've been pretty much just WCG and Pogs the past few months. It used to be my main project ^_^;;;;

BeerCan 11-01-2017 09:27 AM

To funny. I decided last night to stop crunching tn-grid because pomegranate is going to catch me before I reach 100mil. I decided to crunch rosetta, wcg and moo (to replace seti) and lo and behold they are POTM. I must be psychotic, erm I mean psychic. smile.gif

tictoc 11-01-2017 10:02 AM

That is perfect.  :D

I had also been thinking about crunching Rosetta some more on my own gear, since it is such a productive project in terms of the scientific research that is done.  It isn't the greatest points producer compared to some other projects, but the CPU time that we contribute actually sees a lab, and is frequently cited in journals and other medical research.

mmonnin 11-01-2017 10:10 AM

Interesting. I didn't know Rosetta had a lot of research results.

I've got my 1950x on WEP M2 to get us 2 more points in FB. Then I'll move it to Rosetta until WCG challenge bunkering can begin.

RX 580 is on Moo.

tictoc 11-01-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

Interesting. I didn't know Rosetta had a lot of research results.

I've got my 1950x on WEP M2 to get us 2 more points in FB. Then I'll move it to Rosetta until WCG challenge bunkering can begin.

RX 580 is on Moo.

For anyone else that is interested, there is a wealth of info about the project on their recently updated site: What is [email protected]?

*Edit* If your 580 is in Windows, can you post some task times, if you get a chance, to compare against my 480 in Linux?

mmonnin 11-01-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

For anyone else that is interested, there is a wealth of info about the project on their recently updated site: What is [email protected]?

*Edit* If your 580 is in Windows, can you post some task times, if you get a chance, to compare against my 480 in Linux?

Looks like 640 to 690 seconds. I think it's at 1430 or 1450mhz in Win7.

https://moowrap.net/results.php?userid=177687&offset=0&show_names=1&state=4&appid=

Are yours really running at 3k+ seconds per task? Or is that trying to run on both GPUs at once. These have high CPU usage like its an NV but the app says ati:
https://moowrap.net/results.php?hostid=754104&offset=0&show_names=1&state=4&appid=

tictoc 11-01-2017 11:05 AM

I actually just allowed new tasks, and then I had to leave for work. Something definitely is not right with my 480. When I was doing the Linux/Windows comparison my runtimes in Moo! were around 700 seconds, and now it looks like they are running about 5x slower. Thanks for the heads up and I'll have to see what's up when I get home tonight.

mmonnin 11-01-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

I actually just allowed new tasks, and then I had to leave for work. Something definitely is not right with my 480. When I was doing the Linux/Windows comparison my runtimes in Moo! were around 700 seconds, and now it looks like they are running about 5x slower. Thanks for the heads up and I'll have to see what's up when I get home tonight.

About what clocks did it take for 700 seconds? I've never really pushed the 580 to see how high it could go. I fired up [email protected] for a bit and got some invalids at 1450 but 1430 seemed ok.

tictoc 11-01-2017 11:44 AM

That was at stock clocks on my 480, which are 1306/1750.

Egilman 11-01-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

That was at stock clocks on my 480, which are 1306/1750.

Moo does not like overclocks, Period.

I seem to be able to get my 7990's stable at 1100/800 (doesn't need a lot of memory clock so turn it down to save heat) 1100 is a 10% overclock for a tahiti and the voltage is at 1.150

That's just off the top of my head at the moment I haven't consulted my config notebook yet.....

PS: Blackhawk 4 doesn't seem to like it at all.

mmonnin 11-01-2017 05:08 PM

If anyone was running NON-BETA FAAH2 there was a bad app version sent out.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,40418_offset,0#553614
Quote:
This was a mistake on my end. If you have version 7.14 or 7.15 running on your machine, please abort those workunits. They will not validate on the backend. 7.18 is the current version and should be on all new workunits being sent out.

I'm sorry about the invalids.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

I was excited that I actually got some FAAH2 tasks so I checked the forums and I see that 6 out of 9 were the bad version. frown.gif

tictoc 11-01-2017 06:18 PM

Those extermely long running Moo! tasks that I was crunching all day, were actually running on my 1050ti. :headscrat

That GPU runs [email protected] 24/7, and my ppd for today was way down.  I monitored usage with htop and nvidia-smi, and the Moo! opencl_ati_101 tasks were definitely running on my 1050ti.  I have Moo! excluded from my 1050ti in my cc_config, and even if it wasn't,  I wonder how it is even possible that the tasks were running on that GPU.  Needless to say, running two concurrent GPGPU tasks on a little 1050ti is not very efficient, but the tasks did finish and validate.

I am going to detach from Moo!, and then re-attach to see if that clears up whatever voodoo was going on.

*Edit*  In addition to having the exclude_gpu flag for NVIDIA in my cc_config, my preferences on Moo! are set to only use my AMD card.  I was only getting ati tasks, but somehow BOINC was assigning the tasks to my NVIDIA GPU.  This is the only project that I have seen this happen on.   My 480 was happily crunching Prime and Einstein for the last few weeks without a hitch.

*Edit 2* And the saga continues. 

• Reset project, same result, ati tasks crunching on my 1050ti. 
  • Noticed that Moo! was requesting CPU, NVIDIA, and AMD tasks, so I checked my Moo! preferences.  Only ATI GPU was selected. 
  • BOINC Manager continued to request CPU, AMD, and NVIDIA tasks, so I added separate preferences for "Home".  Updated Moo!, and now it was only requesting AMD tasks.  Getting closer to something that works.
  • Fire up BOINC -> Allow New Tasks, same result ati tasks crunching on 1050ti
  • Detach Moo! -> shut down BOINC, -> check client_state and coproc_info, everyhting looks good
  • Start BOINC -> add Moo! -> select "Home" for location -> update Moo! ->  and away we go....  Crunching ati tasks on my 1050ti

I don't even have the NVIDIA executable in my Moo! project folder, and I am out of ideas.  Anyone else have a suggestion?

Egilman 11-02-2017 01:20 AM

Have you actually tried switching it around and only allowing it NvideaOCL files?
then switch back if it runs ok.
see what that does
Turn off the ATI GPU and turn on the Nvidea GPU?
Also never never run CPU and GPU of any flavor together....
One or the other CPU OR GPU...... (GPU is better)

tictoc 11-02-2017 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

Have you actually tried switching it around and only allowing it NvideaOCL files?
then switch back if it runs ok.
see what that does
Turn off the ATI GPU and turn on the Nvidea GPU?
Also never never run CPU and GPU of any flavor together....
One or the other CPU OR GPU...... (GPU is better)

I did try switching it around to only get NVIDIA tasks, and that worked correcetly.  Requested only NVIDIA tasks -> downloaded NVIDIA task - task ran on 1050ti.

I haven't had a chance to physically remove the 1050ti from the machine.  Back crunching Einstein for now, but I am going to mess with it some more tonight.

tictoc 11-02-2017 06:32 PM

Mini update on my strange issue.

My primary machine has a very similar setup to the machine with the 480 and 1050ti.  The 480 rig is actually the setup I use to test foolish things before trying them on my main rig.  They are both running Arch with the same kernel and packages, and they are both using an NVIDIA GPU for the primary GPU, that drives my monitors, and an AMD GPU as a secondary GPU soley used for compute.

Now that Moo! is back online, I added it to my primary machine and it correctly downloaded and assigned work to my two 290s.

mmonnin 11-02-2017 07:25 PM

Moo can't run separate tasks on each GPU? I have a 1070 and 970 in one computer. BOINCTasks says there is one running on each, but they both take the same time to finish, about 29-30min. Per task. I would expect one to run faster than the other like every other project. I have an app_config set to ngpus = 1 to try and get 2 tasks running, one per card, but it seems like 2 are running on both cards at the same time. Pretty slowly too. The 580 does the tasks in about 10-11min while a 1070 and 970 does two in 30min.

I had Moo set as my backup project for these GPUs while SETI went does each Tuesday. The same cards were running at about 830s together on one task. Then I tried 1 per card and it went up to about 1300-1400s, so a gain. Now over 1800s today. I did update the driver this week. frown.gif

https://moowrap.net/results.php?hostid=935682&offset=0&show_names=1&state=4&appid=

tictoc 11-02-2017 09:46 PM

Moo! seems to have some odd behavior. I believe my 290s are running separate tasks, but I'll have to pause one of them to be sure.

*Edit2* Runtimes are identical with only one of the 290s crunching, so they are runnning separate tasks.

I just pulled my 1050ti to test the 480 on it's own, and it looks to be running fine. Crunching the first task now and I'll update with the runtime once it finishes up.

*Edit* Runtime was 800 seconds, which is about 18 seconds slower than when I tested them at the beginning of the year.

@BeerCan Is that a Vega 64 or 56 you're running? It is looks to be screaming through tasks faster than anything else I saw on the Moo! site.

BeerCan 11-03-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Moo! seems to have some odd behavior. I believe my 290s are running separate tasks, but I'll have to pause one of them to be sure.
*Edit2* Runtimes are identical with only one of the 290s crunching, so they are runnning separate tasks.

I just pulled my 1050ti to test the 480 on it's own, and it looks to be running fine. Crunching the first task now and I'll update with the runtime once it finishes up.
*Edit* Runtime was 800 seconds, which is about 18 seconds slower than when I tested them at the beginning of the year.

@BeerCan
Is that a Vega 64 or 56 you're running? It is looks to be screaming through tasks faster than anything else I saw on the Moo! site.
Yeah I got a vega 64 last week. I put it under water but it is running stock clocks. My current gaming card

makr 11-03-2017 05:01 PM

Which POTM is best for Nvidia GPU's? Is there a list somewhere that shows which projects are best suited for what hardware?

WhiteWulfe 11-03-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr View Post

Which POTM is best for Nvidia GPU's? Is there a list somewhere that shows which projects are best suited for what hardware?

Moo! is the only one with a GPU client in this month's selection of projects of the month smile.gif

mmonnin 11-06-2017 01:21 PM

We are now 1st in Moo for FB Marathon.
http://formula-boinc.org/projets.py?lang=&prj=145&year=2017

makr 11-07-2017 01:49 PM

We're also #1 in our league by a healthy margin.
http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?lang=&team=78248&year=2017
thumb.gif

Egilman 11-20-2017 05:46 AM

We took #6 on Moo a couple of days ago and passed 3.9 billion points yesterday.

The Moo server is currently down and WU's are backing up. don't know when it is going to come back up.....

mmonnin 11-21-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

We took #6 on Moo a couple of days ago and passed 3.9 billion points yesterday.

The Moo server is currently down and WU's are backing up. don't know when it is going to come back up.....

Project is back up and WUs being sent out.

tictoc 11-30-2017 05:11 PM

POTM Final Totals

World Community Grid

Start: 66 - Goal: 65 - End: 65 | Goal achieved!!

[email protected]

Start: 36 - Goal: 35 - End: 36 | We came up a little short of 35th, but we are now within striking distance of 35th, 34th, and 33rd. :thumb:

Moo! Wrapper

Start: 7  - Goal: 7 - End: 6 | We did more than hold on to 7th, we moved up to 6th. :D

Thanks to everyone that crunched the projects of the month. :applaud: :cheers:

December POTM will be up later tonight.