Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Benchmarking Software and Discussion (https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-benchmarking-software-discussion/)
-   -   Excel Benchmark (https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-benchmarking-software-discussion/1642077-excel-benchmark.html)

spinFX 11-15-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post

Nice man!! This is interesting for sure biggrin.gif

Its difficult to tell and I am guessing there is some error in the way you are timing it, but it appears that core count is effecting the bench result. It would be interesting to see if the 7700K produced the same result with 2/2 vs 4/8. Do you have the ability to turn off HT and reduce the core count on your 7700K computer? I might join in the fun when I get some free time, I can run i9 7940x (14c) and see how core scaling holds up.

Ok, its a bit of a pipe dream here, but it would be cool to see this worked into an actual benchmark program haha. With a start button and auto timer function, but requiring MS Office installed is a huge drawback for benchers.

I cant want to see more thumb.gif

I think if you have an excel spreadsheet that has performance issues you are using the wrong program though. Most people would move to a proper database if they ran into issues with excel, rather than upgrading all their systems

I wonder if using the Apache POI libraries to interact with the excel files would be a similar comparison to using excel itself. Could probably set up a benchmark without ms excel and try to emulate the way excel would do things.

ir88ed 11-15-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

I think if you have an excel spreadsheet that has performance issues you are using the wrong program though. Most people would move to a proper database if they ran into issues with excel, rather than upgrading all their systems

I wonder if using the Apache POI libraries to interact with the excel files would be a similar comparison to using excel itself. Could probably set up a benchmark without ms excel and try to emulate the way excel would do things.

Part of me agrees that there could be a better solution than excel, and I am pretty ignorant of the capabilities of an actual database. I get new datasets frequently; would I set up a database for each of them? I guess that seems like a lot of infrastructure for one-off analyses. Excel allows me to visually see the data structure, which is really helpful with making the formulas for calculations on complex data. Also I do a lot of sorting/formatting/mining of the results, and need flexibility for analysis. For instance, with a data base could I easily do new calculations to pull out all the genes that pass a pairwise ttest between two conditions and are negatively correlated with a given pheontype? That is a two minute job in excel.

huzzug 11-16-2017 02:20 AM

Alrighty, I bit and made a little update for the workbook. I basically automated the entire process to not require anyone to manually sort nor to record time on a stopwatch. Just click the "Benchmark". I'll want to make a few more updates for the sheet because I do not know whether it tests all areas of the CPU or only cache (doesn't look like, but the data is still on the file.

Linky

moustang 11-16-2017 03:02 PM

CPU: 8700K
#CPU cores: 6
CPU clock speed: 5.1GHz
Total system memory: 16GB
Excel ver: 2010
Time to sort (in seconds): 91.19 seconds

ir88ed 11-16-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustang View Post

CPU: 8700K
#CPU cores: 6
CPU clock speed: 5.1GHz
Total system memory: 16GB
Excel ver: 2010
Time to sort (in seconds): 91.19 seconds

Added. A bit surprised that your system scored lower than my 5930K @ 4.8GHz. Nice OC, btw.
I reran the updated benchmark (with huzzug's timer), and got the same result as before, but with more significant figures this time smile.gif
I wonder if the difference is excel 2010 vs 2016? If we end up with a bunch of data, it will be interesting to see if this is a factor.

ir88ed 11-16-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Alrighty, I bit and made a little update for the workbook. I basically automated the entire process to not require anyone to manually sort nor to record time on a stopwatch. Just click the "Benchmark". I'll want to make a few more updates for the sheet because I do not know whether it tests all areas of the CPU or only cache (doesn't look like, but the data is still on the file.

Linky

Huge shout out to huzzug for putting in a timer into the spreadsheet! This is a huge improvement. Thanks huzzug!

huzzug 11-16-2017 10:17 PM

Can you change the OP file to the newer link in my post as I made a minor change to how the range is picked for sorting the data.
Edit: Disabled ability to save the worksheet as saving the sheet in the same order that the code sorts gives incorrect results

moustang 11-17-2017 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir88ed View Post

Added. A bit surprised that your system scored lower than my 5930K @ 4.8GHz. Nice OC, btw.
I reran the updated benchmark (with huzzug's timer), and got the same result as before, but with more significant figures this time smile.gif
I wonder if the difference is excel 2010 vs 2016? If we end up with a bunch of data, it will be interesting to see if this is a factor.

It's a very memory intensive process. I suspect that the difference is down to memory architecture more than CPU speed. Your 4 channel mesh being faster than the 2 channel I have.

But Excel versions could have something to do with it as well. I guess it's time for me to break down and upgrade my Office software.

killerhz 11-17-2017 06:16 AM

CPU: 4790
#CPU cores: 4
CPU clock speed: 4.7GHz
Total system memory: 32GB
Excel ver: 2016
Time to sort (in seconds): 94.91 seconds (had to edit )

The Pook 11-17-2017 08:51 AM

Probably should include RAM speed in the results?

And no idea if I was supposed to submit my actual clocks or my turbo clocks so I just submitted my base clocks. Just kind of confused why my i5 6400 is out performing an i5 6500 unless it's down to RAM speed.