Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Benchmarking Software and Discussion (https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-benchmarking-software-discussion/)
-   -   Excel Benchmark (https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-benchmarking-software-discussion/1642077-excel-benchmark.html)

Panther Al 11-17-2017 10:26 AM

Gonna try this when I get home from the office. Kinda curious now myself, and wonder how much high core counts help (Running 6950X),

ir88ed 11-17-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

Gonna try this when I get home from the office. Kinda curious now myself, and wonder how much high core counts help (Running 6950X),

Please do! Enterprise had mentioned he was going to give his 16-core 1950x threadripper a go, so the two of these will be a fascinating comparison (non-geeks will roll their eyes at this point).

ir88ed 11-17-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

Probably should include RAM speed in the results?

And no idea if I was supposed to submit my actual clocks or my turbo clocks so I just submitted my base clocks. Just kind of confused why my i5 6400 is out performing an i5 6500 unless it's down to RAM speed.

huzzug has done a few upgrades to the sheet, including a built-in timer. The numbers may bounce around a bit while the benchmark is finalized, but it is easy to run so just download the newest version and see where you fall. Also, there may be many reasons why an individual PC runs faster or slower than a similar machine, so I don't see any reason not to include mem speed in the chart.

The Pook 11-17-2017 12:18 PM

RAM is only running at DDR4-3066 since I was having problems with crashing in PUBG at XMP DDR4-3600. Why am I beating 7700Ks at much higher clocks? confused.gif

Quote:
CPU: i5 6400 Skylake
#CPU cores: 4
CPU clock speed: 2.7GHz
Total system memory: 8GB
RAM Speed: DDR4-3066
Excel ver: 2016
Time to sort (in seconds): 98.45 seconds

Panther Al 11-17-2017 03:11 PM

Huh.

6950X, 10c/20t, at 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM at 2666, Excel 2007, 167s. Will have to see what might not be working right, else it might be the ancient Excel I am running.

*emit*

Did another run - this time with the original file, no real difference in time. However, after a few false starts, loaded up HWMonitor, and noticed that it appears that Excel 2007 only seems to feed two cores. Interesting to know.

huzzug 11-17-2017 10:04 PM

I think MS added ability to use more than 2 cores to it's Office products with Office 2010. Also @ OP, if you're looking to do work with data, you should try to get PowerPivot addon onto your excel '10 or later. It's attuned to some of the tasks data scientists do with other software's.

With the current excel results, can some of you try to adjust your overclocks on your systems to see how the results variate.

Update: Excel (2010 & later) use multiple cores with formulas but when running macros, it's limited to one core. On my system, it pegs my Core 3 @ ~90% whereas others hover ~25-30%.

This bench could give ipc differences between cpu (don't know why pook is getting the result what he's getting), but I'd like to know the how the scores variate when changing cpu speed and ram speeds.

moustang 11-19-2017 07:38 AM

OK, I've done some memory timings tweaking on my system. Now running 3600 speed memory with 15-15-15-35 timings. Some minor tweaks to the advance timings.

Downloaded the latest file and this is what I got....

CPU: 8700K
#CPU cores: 6
CPU clock speed: 5.1GHz
Total system memory: 16GB
RAM Speed: 3600 @ 15-15-15-35 timings)
Excel ver: 2010
Time to sort (in seconds): 86.84 seconds

**** EDIT***

I just noticed that on the first page I'm listed as having an 8600K. That's incorrect. I have an 8700K.CPU.

moustang 11-19-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

Huh.

6950X, 10c/20t, at 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM at 2666, Excel 2007, 167s. Will have to see what might not be working right, else it might be the ancient Excel I am running.

*emit*

Did another run - this time with the original file, no real difference in time. However, after a few false starts, loaded up HWMonitor, and noticed that it appears that Excel 2007 only seems to feed two cores. Interesting to know.

I've now run the test 3 times with HWMonitor running. A few things I've noted from it.

#1. This Excel benchmark never uses more than 2 cores.
#2. Even on the two cores it's using the CPU load is very small. My individual core temperatures never exceeded 45C while running this benchmark but they routinely hit 55C when running something like 3DMark or gaming, and have hit 63C under Prime95 stress testing. This benchmark is making very little use of the CPU
#3. Based off my first result compared with my latest result I'm convinced that this Excel test is primarily influenced by RAM speeds. I got a 5 second drop in processing time without changing a single thing other than RAM timings in my system.

huzzug 11-19-2017 09:38 AM

I made a little bigger change to the way the file benchmarks. I've changed how the final data is being sorted since that column is dependent on the data at the rear columns. The changes that I've made:

1. Truncated the data from the original 60,000 odd rows to just 1,000 rows where every cell is being calculated.
2. You need not close the file and restart to get correct score. The file now should be consistent whether you're benchmarking for the first time or 10th.

With just the above changes, the file takes ~3 times the time it took to bench the first time, while also pegging the main thread ~70-90%. Currently, the cells are only doing additions, divisions and getting averages across a small range of cells. I'd like to know any more suggestions that you guys like to see implemented.

P.S. I'm not an advanced user with VBA's, so I may not be able to accomplish everything that you may have in mind, but do let me know and I'll try to incorporate them.

Data1000.zip 1282k .zip file

I let the original file run on my work system the entire night with the changes that I made. My core 3 seems to be pegged at more than 70% and rest of the cores are pegged ~ 30.

ir88ed 11-19-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustang View Post

I just noticed that on the first page I'm listed as having an 8600K. That's incorrect. I have an 8700K.CPU.

Updated