Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Prebuilt PCs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18077-prebuilt-pcs/)
-   -   Aftermarket cooler for XPS 210 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18077-prebuilt-pcs/1643447-aftermarket-cooler-xps-210-a.html)

TwilightRavens 12-05-2017 02:34 PM

Is anyone aware of any aftermarket air coolers that could fit a Slimline Dell XPS 210? I know its a shot in the dark but there must be something that would work. I’m not against cable modding if i have to.

-edit: Sorry forgot to add its socket LGA 775 with a core 2 quad Q6700

alex-fitton 12-07-2017 01:50 AM

You probably wont be able to find an aftermarket cooler thatll fit into a Dell XPS as the processor orientation and mounting pins are different to a standard ATX motherboard.

TwilightRavens 12-07-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-fitton View Post

You probably wont be able to find an aftermarket cooler thatll fit into a Dell XPS as the processor orientation and mounting pins are different to a standard ATX motherboard.

Yeah, i think its a variation on a mini itx and its mainly the size of it that is the issue. I think I might have found one that’ll work but idk until i get it.

frostbite 12-08-2017 04:06 PM

The best thing you can do is re apply a decent thermal paste

I did this on my usff OptiPlex, when I swapped the Pentium D 820 for a 915

TwilightRavens 12-09-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite View Post

The best thing you can do is re apply a decent thermal paste

I did this on my usff OptiPlex, when I swapped the Pentium D 820 for a 915

I actually found a heatpipe cooler that is for sure compatible with my rig that a gentleman In the LGA 775 club was kind enough to link me, and yeah I will reapply thermal paste because I purchased a Xeon X3230 (quad core) to replace my Core 2 Duo E6700 (dual core)

Bigceeloc 12-14-2017 10:15 AM

Ah, an interesting upgrade. Does the BIOS and chipset support this chip? Perhaps with limited capabilities? Sometimes these Dells use a 5-pin fan connector that I have seen, but perhaps something that old used a 4 or 3-pin connector that would be compatible.

I agree with the re-apply thermal paste suggestion after a good cleaning.

TwilightRavens 02-05-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigceeloc (Post 26500548)
Ah, an interesting upgrade. Does the BIOS and chipset support this chip? Perhaps with limited capabilities? Sometimes these Dells use a 5-pin fan connector that I have seen, but perhaps something that old used a 4 or 3-pin connector that would be compatible.

I agree with the re-apply thermal paste suggestion after a good cleaning.

Sorry for the late reply but yes, it does support any of the 1066FSB chips though the only ones that are unconfirmed are the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and QX6800. So basically any Kentsfield quad or Conroe Duo barring the last 2 I mentioned. Sadly Yorkfields aren't supported by that Bios. The heatsink on it actually isn't bad, its just a matter of case airflow because the only fan that is there to cool that quad is the front intake and it is literally I want to guess like an 80mm fan (maybe 92mm at most) Its pretty small and does a horrible job of removing the heat but that computer is known to have issues keeping the quads cool.

MMS 03-31-2019 05:32 AM

Heavy modding of XPS210

I am also on the same route. I gave my older PC to my kids to play with, but the original Dual core was kind of weak for that. (not to mention the original 667MHz RAMs, LOL)
I just recently upgraded from the original 2.4GHz Dual core to X3220 (I could not buy x3230). And loaded 4GB of 800MHz RAM (I know it can manage 8GB, despite Dell statement, but has a 32bit Win7 yet). It has a HD6570 low wattage GPU.
Already has a 240GB SSD and a 2.5" 320GB HDD inside to have a quicker system.

What I also found, that the stock cooling is not able to manage the 100W thermal power of this server CPU.
It is OK till 65-70W, but not further. Some ppl also highlighed some design issues with the cooler (airflow vs metal grill locations), I also followed up with some thicker rubbers on the plastic housing (it improved the situation a little).
The heat sensor applied directly on the metal grills, so when the grill temp goes up, the fan follows it at once.
Very hard to swap the fan, as it has Dell special connecttor, and hard to get an adaptor too (and you loose the fan control with the available one)

Still After 1 hours of gameplay (Terraria, Heartstone, etc), the CPU went up from 60-70°C to 85-90°C, then it started to stutter, and logically shut down I added new thermal paste (certainly), but it just extended the switch off time to 1.5 - 2 hours. Opening the side panel helps a little, but not too much.

What I found that the HDD plastic mount at the middle works as a blocker for the airflow, despite it has an extra fan.
Also, worth to mention, that the two 2.5" HDDs are in a small plastic bracket, fits into the size of a 3.5" HDD (the HDD bracket designed for)
So here came the idea: the front memory card reader is the size of a floppy drive (3.5"), and has those special positioning screws. Does it fit to the 3.5" plastic bracket for the 2.5" HDDs? YES. It has exactly at the same position holes you can use.

Still, because of the PSU, motherboard connector and the second RAM, has issues.
If you check the DELL memory card reader it has a strange because of the very same reason.
I picked up my Dremel device, and cut down the end of the plastic bracket.

And here we go: the SSD and the HDD took the place of the original memory card reader.
I took out the HDD bracket completely. It has TWO benefits:
a) much better airflow. The CPU temp decreased by ~10°C. Not reached 90°C yet (80-82°C only)
Still not perfect, but much better
b) Now I have space to add a stronger DUAL slot Low profile card, if it does NOT utilize double wide metal rear bracker.
Gigabyte, Zotac have double wide metal rear panel, but
-MSI Radeon RX 550 LP 4GB GDDR5 128bit PCIe (RX 550 4GT LP OC) seems OK
It is approx. 5x faster than my HD6570, and 50% faster than my Geforce 1030 in the other SFF Lenovo machine (I think the 1030 GDDR5 is currently fastest low profile and single slot VGA available, except one Chinese 1050 one, not available and very very noisy)
-Some 1050 or 1050 Ti seems have similar layout, or can remove the rear panel

I still install the DVD writer, but not connected (yet) because there is only 2 SATA ports on the Mobo.
Now I have enough space for a SATA card and the cables.

So back to the original post:
After removing the hdd bracket, maybe there will be enough space to install a new cooler to.

It requires still some investigation, as XPS210 has a BTX mobo, not an ATX one and need to check out the fixation points.
I found this cooler may fit into the housing, and may keep the original fan too.
ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP
It has a 92mm diameter fan, planned for max 100W, but the original fan's horizontal flow may add to the cooling factor.

Based on my quick "virtual" measurement, the 92mm fan may JUST not collide with the double slot wide

Or maybe this?
https://picclick.co.uk/Dell-95W-Alie...699561059.html