Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [PG] Eve Online Players Are So Fed Up With Cheaters They’re Offering Bounties for Bots (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1645805-pg-eve-online-players-so-fed-up-cheaters-theya-re-offering-bounties-bots.html)

frickfrock999 01-15-2018 12:47 PM

https://www.pcgamesn.com/eve-online/eve-online-botting-ccp
Quote:
Many members of the Eve Online community are upset over what they see as failure by CCP Games to deal with a growing problem in botters. These players feel that their accomplishments in the game are being undermined by the ease with which cheaters are able to outsmart the system, especially without an adequate response from the developers.

H0N0ur is taking matters into his own hands by offering bounties for bots. “Effective immediately, and going through to the end of February, I will personally pay for the destruction of botters,” says H0n0ur on Reddit. “I will pay per bot killed, and I will give out rewards at the end of the contest to those who performed gloriously in the effort to murder botters.” The burden of proving kills were bots, of course, is on the bounty hunters.

This is unprecedented.

Unregulated vigilante justice like this.... it brings up so many questions.

Is this considered cyberbullying since they're specifically targeting individuals at a massive scale?

And who decides what's morally "cheating"? thinking.gif

shredded 01-15-2018 12:58 PM

Thats like saying the horde are bullies when they for raid an alliance city and /dance over the corpses of their enemies.

Cyber bulling ?

Osirus23 01-15-2018 12:58 PM

Yeah killing people in an MMO is totally "Cyberbullying." Let's make a big deal out of it.

moldyviolinist 01-15-2018 01:01 PM

Yea I don't see this as morally ambiguous. These people with bots are attempting to game the system, making real players achievements worthless, probably against the TOS of the software. Take them down by any means necessary I say.

Cyberbullying?? Maybe the "victims" shouldn't be trying to take advantage of everyone

Offler 01-15-2018 01:02 PM

Been doing that in Archeage too biggrin.gif

Hendrix2112 01-15-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

https://www.pcgamesn.com/eve-online/eve-online-botting-ccp
This is unprecedented.

Is this considered cyberbullying since they're specifically targeting individuals at a massive scale?

You don't play EVE do you? This sort of thing really isn't uncommon in EVE. CCP (the creator of EVE) has a pretty hands off policy toward policing the game as long as you are staying within the defined rules of the game engine. Scamming, cheating other players, stealing loot, it's all part of the game.

Some of the most fun I had was ganking high sec miners, and listening to them cry about it in local chat. Fun stuff.

frickfrock999 01-15-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix2112 View Post

Scamming, cheating other players, stealing loot, it's all part of the game.

Wait a minute.

Are you saying that not only is this known behavior, but if the "cheaters" were to retaliate and do exactly what these people are doing right back to them, it'd be expected and deemed morally acceptable by the player base?

And the dev would allow it to happen?

CynicalUnicorn 01-15-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldyviolinist View Post

Cyberbullying?? Maybe the "victims" shouldn't be trying to take advantage of everyone

Sounds like victim blaming to me.

Quantium40 01-15-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

This is unprecedented.

LOL.

EVE Online is the capitalism simulator. Morality is what you decide it to be.

That is what makes it fun for players.

You can't play the game for more than 5 minutes without getting "bullied" guaranteed.

Delphi 01-15-2018 01:22 PM

Lol cyberbullying? REALLY? They're cheaters and if they can't deal with consequences then don't cheat. Botters ruin MMO games.