Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Coding and Programming (https://www.overclock.net/forum/142-coding-programming/)
-   -   Jaded with work not sure what to do. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/142-coding-programming/1647713-jaded-work-not-sure-what-do.html)

Mrzev 01-24-2018 07:51 AM

Jaded with work not sure what to do.

I've been a developer for almost 10 years now, projects in 15 or so different languages... but nothing feels like a challenge anymore. I'm not an expert by any means, I am a very quick learner, and can always get things done quick. The only way i really feel challenged is when I have a 24 hour deadline and challenge myself on how much i can get done before the presentation or whatever. Everything is just time consuming and tedious. It's all just the same thing over and over. Even with new things like, I've never programatically sent an email using azure Active Directory for the credentials... 20 minutes of googling and tada there is the answer. There are rare exceptions like creating some prototypes for the HoloLens or building a tracking system from the ground up... but those dont happen often.

I am at a loss for what to do. I am very successful, but I am bored... not at the point of unhappy, but... i just dont know. Every year I debate on quitting my job and developing a videogame, but i fear i would get bored of that too...

Sorry for the rant, any advice or insight would be cool.

Quantum Reality 01-24-2018 07:58 AM

Honestly, I wish I had your repertoire of skills. Talking to people who work miracles with their webdev skills makes me feel like such a chump for majoring in Chemistry instead. :p (especially as I'm now confronted with the need to try and transfer my soft skills outside of just my field.)

All that said, I wish you the best of luck in your future! :specool:

specialedge 01-24-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrzev (Post 26575209)
I've been a developer for almost 10 years now, projects in 15 or so different languages... but nothing feels like a challenge anymore. I'm not an expert by any means, I am a very quick learner, and can always get things done quick. The only way i really feel challenged is when I have a 24 hour deadline and challenge myself on how much i can get done before the presentation or whatever. Everything is just time consuming and tedious. It's all just the same thing over and over. Even with new things like, I've never programatically sent an email using azure Active Directory for the credentials... 20 minutes of googling and tada there is the answer. There are rare exceptions like creating some prototypes for the HoloLens or building a tracking system from the ground up... but those dont happen often.

I am at a loss for what to do. I am very successful, but I am bored... not at the point of unhappy, but... i just dont know. Every year I debate on quitting my job and developing a videogame, but i fear i would get bored of that too...

Sounds like the new Overclock.net management could use your expertise!

Saisaku 01-25-2018 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrzev (Post 26575209)

I'm in the same situation as you are for quit some years now, just in another job. And it won't get any better...
In my case I decided to re-educate myself to become a programmer, started last year in evening school. I'm keeping myself happy for now by transferring my knowledge and techniques to less experienced colleagues, knowing I'm leaving this wonderful job in a few years. Trying to leave my stamp...

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would think to start working part-time as developer, and try my chances at game development. Or maybe start to work (probably for less) at a startup of charity group?

mmonnin 01-25-2018 05:25 AM

I would think the challenge would evolve into making a program more efficient. RAM usage is out of control these days its ridiculous. Using more and different commands and features of a language. A comparison would be that you've ran a mile, a 5k, 10k, Half and Full Marathons. You've done them all. Now run them with better times which requires the body to be more efficient.

Or to ease the boredom it may require a project on your own of some sort if its more than just a job but carries over as a hobby as well.

gonX 01-26-2018 03:06 PM

Learn vim, if you haven't. Even if you're a savant that'll take you a few months to perfect.

Mrzev 01-26-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmonnin (Post 26587673)
I would think the challenge would evolve into making a program more efficient. RAM usage is out of control these days its ridiculous. Using more and different commands and features of a language. A comparison would be that you've ran a mile, a 5k, 10k, Half and Full Marathons. You've done them all. Now run them with better times which requires the body to be more efficient.

Or to ease the boredom it may require a project on your own of some sort if its more than just a job but carries over as a hobby as well.

Adding efficency to code takes time. Basically meaning, i do what i normally do, then do more work for no real value. Efficency made sense when i was doing my tracking system, because i needed my tiny active RFID tags batteries to last a long time. When I have an application that needs to read in files, upload them to a server, and process those files... if it takes 20gigs of ram, thats fine with me, because the PC's running it I will add that ram. Most of my stuff is either webpages , or tools, not so much consumer applications. Most of the time, optimization isnt really needed. It just adds more work and complexity.
As for a project of my own.. that would be a game... but that doesnt solve my project with me at my current job.

Quote:

Learn vim, if you haven't. Even if you're a savant that'll take you a few months to perfect.
....no... and NO. If anything i would go from Notepad++ to sublime, but either way 99% of my dev is done trough Visual Studio. If i really wanted to learn a new tool, I would probably spend some more time with Unity.

Switching to part time work... not as easy as it sounds. That mainly means do contract work. I am a cautious person, so I dont trust revenue from that. So, I would need to rely on my savings to get me trough the majority of the Dev time for the game, and any additional revenue just delays and extends the game dev time.

In the end, I just need to deal with it. Changing anything just adds risks which could work out great, or not.

gonX 01-26-2018 06:31 PM

For what it's worth, I "grew up" with Visual Studio but moved on to Vim while I was perfecting my BASH skills (SSH requires a CLI editor). When I went back to doing .NET stuff I simply installed VsVim and got the best of both worlds.

mmonnin 01-26-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrzev (Post 26607953)
Adding efficency to code takes time. Basically meaning, i do what i normally do, then do more work for no real value. Efficency made sense when i was doing my tracking system, because i needed my tiny active RFID tags batteries to last a long time. When I have an application that needs to read in files, upload them to a server, and process those files... if it takes 20gigs of ram, thats fine with me, because the PC's running it I will add that ram. Most of my stuff is either webpages , or tools, not so much consumer applications. Most of the time, optimization isnt really needed. It just adds more work and complexity.
As for a project of my own.. that would be a game... but that doesnt solve my project with me at my current job.

....no... and NO. If anything i would go from Notepad++ to sublime, but either way 99% of my dev is done trough Visual Studio. If i really wanted to learn a new tool, I would probably spend some more time with Unity.

Switching to part time work... not as easy as it sounds. That mainly means do contract work. I am a cautious person, so I dont trust revenue from that. So, I would need to rely on my savings to get me trough the majority of the Dev time for the game, and any additional revenue just delays and extends the game dev time.

In the end, I just need to deal with it. Changing anything just adds risks which could work out great, or not.

You asked for a challenge, not what makes cash. Saying you don't give a crap about memory usage does make you a crappy programmer.

Mrzev 02-02-2018 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmonnin (Post 26608481)
You asked for a challenge, not what makes cash. Saying you don't give a crap about memory usage does make you a crappy programmer.

I disagree. There is efficiency is performance and development speed. If i have to write a tool that runs nightly to send out a status email for all of the changed items, I could spend a day making it work and go onto the next task. I could also spend 2 days making run slightly faster. Right now value is on getting these features in, and less so speed of these background tools.

I could also make it run faster by using more memory by caching the db instead of doing multiple queries. I could optimize that by creating better SQL queries to filter data better. But when it takes 1 minute to run, making it take 30 seconds isnt a problem. I have had to go back and optimize some things because that 1 minute would slowly turn into 15 minutes, and then i need to redesign how lately by caching the database so i dont need to constantly query the data. Aaaaaand since we are constantly adding features and having to adjust the architecture, it tends to need to be redone at some point anyways.

Don't call me a crappy programmer because my priorities for efficiency are different. I do what makes sense. Issue with trying to code something to be more efficient in processing, memory, or whatever is that you can always make it better. People I see worrying of that when it doesn't matter take 2-3x longer than me and over complicates things for the other developers slowing them down in the process too.