Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/73-nvidia-cooling/)
-   -   MSI Gaming X 1080ti in SLI. Upper GPU at 90c (https://www.overclock.net/forum/73-nvidia-cooling/1676001-msi-gaming-x-1080ti-sli-upper-gpu-90c.html)

razorseal 03-26-2018 01:23 PM

MSI Gaming X 1080ti in SLI. Upper GPU at 90c

Recently got a new computer... First time for SLI... I realized how close the cards are. The upper GPU gets to around 90-92 c and I can't cool the sucker down. The bottom one stays little cooler, but is limited by the computer at around 80c (msi afterburner) it's in a nzxt s340 case... The upper is limited on afterburner too (they're in sync) but even with limitation, it creeps up...

I have a kraken x52 for the cpu so the front fan area is taken. There is one 120 exhaust and I have one 140 fan coming in that will go on top and pull in air which will aim at top of gpu 1. They're both going to be corsair ml.

This must be a common problem amongst sli setup I would think. Only thing I can think of is water cooled GPUs.

Thoughts on helping w cooling? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e632e5c3ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8051 03-28-2018 12:51 PM

I wonder if a sidecover fan either blowing right on the GPU's or exhausting air from that area would make any difference?

razorseal 03-28-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 27049137)
I wonder if a sidecover fan either blowing right on the GPU's or exhausting air from that area would make any difference?

I can't. I have a LCD screen case

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nycgtr 03-28-2018 01:13 PM

Lol only water can fix that. Or loud blower reference. That look like a prebuilt system to me. Tbh incase dumping gpus in sli have no business in such a case. You would need another case to even put those cards on water or have very limited rad space for each component.

go4life 03-28-2018 02:39 PM

Just know that 90c will not harm the card, so you should be fine. While I understand that you want lower temperature, with such a cramped case you do not have many options. You could set the fan speed up on the intake and outtake at the cost of noise.

Personally facing similar, however my case is a bit larger so decided to go with new motherboard that has 2 slots in between instead of current 1slot where temperature on top card goes to about 85-88c max with the overclock applied.
Mind you the motherboard I chose is the X299 Rampage VI Extreme, which is an E-ATX board. Amongst the few I could find with 2 slots in between the GPU's. As it looks like you are using socket 1151, I am unsure if there are any motherboards with 2slot spacing, as it is a platform that I personally have not looked much at because of only 16pcie lanes. Top Asus motherboard for that socket might offer 2slot spacing. However as your case is cramped, you might have to see if you can fit it all properly first.

Good luck :)

Jbravo33 03-28-2018 02:46 PM

nice build but looks like there is no airflow and seeing as how a rad is in the front were normally would be cool air coming in (with just fans) its probably hot as hell in that case. bottom cards heat is just adding to the top cards intake. try leaving that door open and adding a fan to exhaust up top.

octiny 03-28-2018 02:48 PM

Open air SLI cards never work well in an enclosed case.

white owl 03-28-2018 05:08 PM

I'd do massive positive pressure in the front top and bottom with no exhaust fan and the PCIE covers removed. That'll force air through the GPUs.

microchidism 03-28-2018 05:36 PM

those poor 1080 ti's can't breathe

nycgtr 03-28-2018 05:45 PM

that build screams cyberpower or ibuypower in which case letting a config go out like that in that case is really not surprising.