Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Computer Cases (https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/)
-   -   Looking for water cooling case recommendations (https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/1702366-looking-water-cooling-case-recommendations.html)

BucketInABucket 06-29-2018 10:22 AM

Looking for water cooling case recommendations
 
I'm looking for an atx mid-tower that can fit a hx850 platinum, two 360mm slim radiators or rough equivalent, e.g. 240 and 360, 280 and 360, 2x240 and 280, 2x280, etc and a watercool heatkiller tube 150 d5 comfortably. I currently have a ryzen 2600 with a strix x470-f and a 1080ti fe.

I like elegant-looking cases and I want it to have a tempered glass side window and a psu shroud. Ideally it won't cost as much as a caselabs case and won't be too big either. No super towers please. I'm ok with waiting for cases that will come out by the end of the year.

Currently I own a fractal design r6 but the ram compatibility is just a little off and I don't want to have to mutilate a fan to fit the top 360mm rad.

Here's what I've looked at so far.

Lian Li PC-011: considering
Lian Li Lancool One: considering
Phanteks Evolv X: considering
Caselabs anything: no (either too big or no tempered glass)
Thermaltake anything: iffy

atomicus 06-29-2018 03:33 PM

I think the PC-O11 and Evolv X are good shouts. The Air variant of the PC-O11 also looks interesting. I assume it's the Dynamic version you've seen... that's definitely preferable over the original PC-O11. I think that would be my own personal choice, although I'm intrigued to see how the Air performs when it's released... I prefer the look of the Dynamic though, and it's very competitively priced. It is made of steel though, not aluminium, which is what has always made Lian-Li cases so expensive in the past.

The Corsair Obsidian 500D might be worth a look also, quite smart looking, although Corsair have (yet again) made some odd design decisions with the PSU shroud which I am not a fan of.

If you were OK with something a bit more plain, the Define R6 is a very good performer, or if you wanted something more compact there is the Fractal Define Meshify C. Space is a bit limited up top, but you can fit a 280mm rad up there providing you don't have RAM/heatsinks over 40mm in height.

BucketInABucket 06-30-2018 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicus (Post 27517530)
I think the PC-O11 and Evolv X are good shouts. The Air variant of the PC-O11 also looks interesting. I assume it's the Dynamic version you've seen... that's definitely preferable over the original PC-O11. I think that would be my own personal choice, although I'm intrigued to see how the Air performs when it's released... I prefer the look of the Dynamic though, and it's very competitively priced. It is made of steel though, not aluminium, which is what has always made Lian-Li cases so expensive in the past.

I'm looking at both, though everyone and their mother has a dynamic since it's so good hehe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicus (Post 27517530)
I think the PC-O11 and Evolv X are good shouts. The Air variant of the PC-O11 also looks interesting. I assume it's the Dynamic version you've seen... that's definitely preferable over the original PC-O11. I think that would be my own personal choice, although I'm intrigued to see how the Air performs when it's released... I prefer the look of the Dynamic though, and it's very competitively priced. It is made of steel though, not aluminium, which is what has always made Lian-Li cases so expensive in the past.

The Corsair Obsidian 500D might be worth a look also, quite smart looking, although Corsair have (yet again) made some odd design decisions with the PSU shroud which I am not a fan of.

What annoys me about that case is how they restricted top rad compatability to 280/240 even though you can get a 360 up there logically speaking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicus (Post 27517530)
If you were OK with something a bit more plain, the Define R6 is a very good performer, or if you wanted something more compact there is the Fractal Define Meshify C. Space is a bit limited up top, but you can fit a 280mm rad up there providing you don't have RAM/heatsinks over 40mm in height.

I have an r6 currently, my ram's too tall which is why I'm looking for another case.

Gilles3000 06-30-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucketInABucket (Post 27518092)
I have an r6 currently, my ram's too tall which is why I'm looking for another case.

You can fit 2 360mm radiators in the R6 without tall ram being an issue tho. There are a bunch of examples of it without modding.

BucketInABucket 06-30-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles3000 (Post 27518094)
You can fit 2 360mm radiators in the R6 without tall ram being an issue tho. There are a bunch of examples of it without modding.

Yes I'm aware and with my specific parts it doesn't fit. I've tried with the 360mm radiator on the top in both configurations available. Maybe the strix x470-f has the ram slots slightly higher than on my old z270 gaming pro carbon because it used to just barely fit.

Kiros 06-30-2018 01:00 PM

What about NZXT cases? they make some pretty nice mid tower ones

BucketInABucket 06-30-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiros (Post 27518480)
What about NZXT cases? they make some pretty nice mid tower ones

If they come out with a H700 I'll be interested

BucketInABucket 07-04-2018 10:53 PM

Bump.

atomicus 07-05-2018 07:09 AM

Bit more info on the Air... great price!

https://www.techpowerup.com/245764/l...11-air-chassis

For cooling and looks, not sure this can be beat. Dynamic arguably looks a bit more expensive and high end, but I can't see the Air not offering better cooling.

BucketInABucket 07-05-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicus (Post 27524698)
Bit more info on the Air... great price!

https://www.techpowerup.com/245764/l...11-air-chassis

For cooling and looks, not sure this can be beat. Dynamic arguably looks a bit more expensive and high end, but I can't see the Air not offering better cooling.

Ooo yes the air, looks a bit more subdued than the dynamic does. Can't help but wonder how a distribution plate would look attached to the front...

BucketInABucket 07-16-2018 07:34 AM

Bump!

michaelrw 07-27-2018 10:16 AM

I didn’t want to start an entirely new thread, but I’m looking for a case that can support vertical mount GPUs, top 360 rad, sufficient space for tridentZ DIMMs, place to mount a D5/Res, and an added bonus would be a spot to mount a 360 rad on its side going front to back (down where the psu shroud is so you can see the rad and it’s fans through the glass panel).

atomicus 07-27-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelrw (Post 27552302)
I didn’t want to start an entirely new thread, but I’m looking for a case that can support vertical mount GPUs, top 360 rad, sufficient space for tridentZ DIMMs, place to mount a D5/Res, and an added bonus would be a spot to mount a 360 rad on its side going front to back (down where the psu shroud is so you can see the rad and it’s fans through the glass panel).


I believe the Thermaltake View 71 would let you do all of these things... http://www.thermaltake.com/products-...?id=C_00003129 although not quite the rad front to back as you say, but you could have it vertical up the front right side.

The PC-O11 Dynamic would let you have the rad+fans oriented front to back, although it doesn't feature vertical GPU mounting. That said, you might be able to mod that, I've seen that done in this case. Doing so might not allow room for the rad+fans at the bottom though.

:)

NexusRed 07-27-2018 10:31 AM

Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic is my vote 100% 3x360mm rads, dual chamber design, main chamber is completely open.

michaelrw 07-29-2018 02:17 AM

yeah im leaning towards the dynamic. im also looking at the lian li alpha 550x, or define r6.. i wish full towers were big, but not super big

michaelrw 07-29-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicus (Post 27552316)
I believe the Thermaltake View 71 would let you do all of these things... http://www.thermaltake.com/products-...?id=C_00003129 although not quite the rad front to back as you say, but you could have it vertical up the front right side.

The PC-O11 Dynamic would let you have the rad+fans oriented front to back, although it doesn't feature vertical GPU mounting. That said, you might be able to mod that, I've seen that done in this case. Doing so might not allow room for the rad+fans at the bottom though.

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusRed (Post 27552326)
Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic is my vote 100% 3x360mm rads, dual chamber design, main chamber is completely open.

Do you think mounting a 65mm thick rad in push pull would be doable on the Dynamic? Looking at the EK XE360 rad

atomicus 07-30-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelrw (Post 27554786)
Do you think mounting a 65mm thick rad in push pull would be doable on the Dynamic? Looking at the EK XE360 rad


That's at least 115mm total for a 65mm rad + 50mm+ of fans... you then have fittings to consider. Looking at photos, I don't see you'd be able put that anywhere without impeding something else... at the side it would certainly impede both the top and bottom space for rads/fans, and at the bottom it would cover a big chunk of your motherboard. Your best chance might at the top where there is the most clearance, but hard to say. You'd have to do more precise measurements. Either way, it will certainly make routing your tubing more tricky, and would be very visually dominant in the build.

It's not like you NEED to go for such a thick cooling solution though, obviously.

Gandlaf 07-30-2018 06:16 AM

It might be a tight squeeze, but if you like the Fractal look I'd take a gander at the Define S.
Should be fine with your parts, 240+360 should be ez but 360+360 needs some elbow greeze and maybe some fancy fittings to work nicely.

Take a look and see what you think!
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...eries/define-s

michaelrw 07-30-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicus (Post 27555406)
That's at least 115mm total for a 65mm rad + 50mm+ of fans... you then have fittings to consider. Looking at photos, I don't see you'd be able put that anywhere without impeding something else... at the side it would certainly impede both the top and bottom space for rads/fans, and at the bottom it would cover a big chunk of your motherboard. Your best chance might at the top where there is the most clearance, but hard to say. You'd have to do more precise measurements. Either way, it will certainly make routing your tubing more tricky, and would be very visually dominant in the build.

It's not like you NEED to go for such a thick cooling solution though, obviously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandlaf (Post 27555442)
It might be a tight squeeze, but if you like the Fractal look I'd take a gander at the Define S.
Should be fine with your parts, 240+360 should be ez but 360+360 needs some elbow greeze and maybe some fancy fittings to work nicely.

Take a look and see what you think!
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...eries/define-s

thanks for the recommendations. after doing some more research, I'm definitely not going to go for the 65mm rad. Instead I'll go with the more tame 40mm PE rad. I still cant decide though. Ive now learned that vertical gpu mount on the dynamic requires an additional cost in the bracket.. furthermore, I cant even find where the bracket is being sold. Without that, there's no way I go for the Dynamic (which would be a shame bc i rly like so many thing about it)

Gandlaf 07-31-2018 12:57 AM

If you go for a larger case and want a vertical bracket, CableMod has a PCI mounting bracket for it
https://store.cablemod.com/product/c...layport-black/
One thing worth noting is that vertical mounts are almost always more restricting in terms of airflow. If you want the most performance out of your gpu you should watercool it if vertical.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...vs-stock-h500m

Hopefully that helps!

white owl 07-31-2018 12:58 AM

Here ya go!
https://www.overclock.net/forum/1478...erlin-sm8.html

michaelrw 07-31-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandlaf (Post 27556518)
If you go for a larger case and want a vertical bracket, CableMod has a PCI mounting bracket for it
https://store.cablemod.com/product/c...layport-black/
One thing worth noting is that vertical mounts are almost always more restricting in terms of airflow. If you want the most performance out of your gpu you should watercool it if vertical.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...vs-stock-h500m

Hopefully that helps!

yeah i always watercool everything, so i can just focus on aesthetics now ;)

Elrick 09-06-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucketInABucket (Post 27518896)
If they come out with a H700 I'll be interested

How come there is no NZXT H700 section on this forum site?

In fact no mention on anything to do with NZXT in general, that seems to be very strange....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.