Ex-Box One S
So it's been a few years since I started my Ex-Box 360 build, and I think I'm done with it. I updated that thread last week with it completed at PDXLAN last month. The build was even featured by AMD and they interviewed me. Got me itching to step my game up.
A few friends of mine had been pushing me to do something in an Xbox One; which I took a look at, and once again realized it would be too easy. I could fit normal components in it and just boot it. Enter in my new project: a One S, fully watercooled with a custom loop.
I didn't want to post things too early, since I already did that on my personal FB and had a few other people jump on the train and build their own.
As parts are purchased I will come back and add them here.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2400G
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
Motherboard Tray: CaseLabs Mercury S3 or Lian-Li PC-Q25 (unsure of yet)
CPU Waterblock: Swiftech Apogee SKF
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
SSD: Samsung PM961 250GB NVMe
Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 50mm Triple
Radiator fans: 3x GELID Silent5 FN-SX05-40
Rigid fittings: Nanoxia CF Hard Tube G1/4" to 12mm
PSU: HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX Power Supply
Sleeving: Teleios (Acid Green & Polar White), done by 'Tek by Design'
The cables and screws will be custom done for the build by a local modder, Tek by Design.
But here is the start of the project!
The day the shell arrived:
The system was already stripped out, I had just bought the shell off of ebay - so I got straight down to removing the plastic I didn't need that would just take up system space.
I planned out how I wanted to do the build more this time, and came up with the idea for a custom scratch built frame to hold all of the components. One I could just slip in the shell and drop in place, once I knew it was the right size.
I went to Lowes and picked up some short pieces of metal (couldn't get any longer than 3', wouldn't fit in my Lexus or my fiance's Miata otherwise)
Below is what it looks like when I test fit first inside of the console.
Took the metal out, gave it some marks...
Cut each piece down to slot into the other one.
Just this morning finished the other side.
And finally test fit back into the console.
When I got home from the office I had a package awaiting me! Radiator and waterblock. :)
Done with progress for the day.
First thing when I got in the office this morning was test fit the radiator. It will be SNUGGGGGG. I may have to file and sand down a few pieces to get it to fit in the final version.
Next was to measure the distance from the bottom of the frame I'm building, to the top of the radiator - to figure out how tall to make the corner pieces. Got that measured and cut 5, so I had an extra one in case I messed up somewhere.
Next I marked the holes where the radiator would be mounted, and got those drilled, and tapped.
Last bit of progress for the day was to use some metal epoxy to get the frame to hold together on the bottom. The excess will be sanded off after the weekend, and more applied to the back side - but it's stuck like this for the 24 hour cure period.
After the second layer of epoxy is added, it will be time to finish mounting the radiator, and to start building the side corners and then thinking about the top 4 pieces (which will be flat).
Interested in seeing where this is going.
Subbed to the original thread, will sub once again :)
Thanks for your continued support and subscription!
No problem! I love case modding, especially consoles. Glad that you're coming back with this new thread :)
More parts arrive! 3 intake fans for the radiator, LED strip for the lighting, and my motherboard tray - directly from Lian-Li themselves. :)
Monday when I got into the office I worked on setting the frame up on some spacers and got the exterior of the frame epoxy'd.
Last night got some more pieces in for the build also, except the CPU I had to drive down to Fry's to get it quickly.
Got the system test booted, and then proceeded to get the block assembled, lighting installed, and fittings attached.
Next was looking at the motherboard tray (only have the Lian-Li one currently, caselabs one won't be in for a bit) - cut the lian li down to size that it needed to be, and figured out how I was going to attach it (if I go that route)
The next issue is that the fans that will be used for the radiator are only 15mm long, rather than the standard 25mm. Had to cut the 12 screws down to the appropriate sizing.
Just to get an idea of what it will look like:
Next thing that got done was I test fit the radiator with the side posts installed, and then got them positioned, they are now curing for the next 24 hours.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.