Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software (https://www.overclock.net/forum/71-nvidia-drivers-overclocking-software/)
-   -   Why and why? Is nvidia drivers half a gig? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/71-nvidia-drivers-overclocking-software/1705560-why-why-nvidia-drivers-half-gig.html)

HITTI 08-10-2018 12:12 PM

Why and why? Is nvidia drivers half a gig?

Why and why? Is nvidia drivers half a gig?

https://i.imgur.com/pxNrsTp.png

100cotton 08-10-2018 12:15 PM

Support and tweaks for tons of applications on top of support for an extremely wide range of their GPU models.

The Pook 08-10-2018 12:21 PM

Because they contain 20+ years of support and fixes for a large number of games with varying programming qualities/APIs on top of needing to support dozens of different generations of hardware.

HITTI 08-10-2018 12:24 PM

Jeeze. They really need dumb that down alot. Imho.

F7LTHY 09-05-2018 12:46 AM

They should introduce driver integrity checks and just provide a few megabyte updates if we alredy have certain version of a driver.. Downloading everything again when new driver is introduced is silly IMHO

Rayleyne 09-05-2018 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F7LTHY (Post 27610006)
They should introduce driver integrity checks and just provide a few megabyte updates if we alredy have certain version of a driver.. Downloading everything again when new driver is introduced is silly IMHO

It's really only an issue for people on sub 4Mbit services, For anyone on 4mbit or greater it takes maybe 5 minutes to get a hold of them, The world does not revolve around minorities, The majority has no issue with this at all.

termathor 09-05-2018 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayleyne (Post 27610090)
It's really only an issue for people on sub 4Mbit services, For anyone on 4mbit or greater it takes maybe 5 minutes to get a hold of them, The world does not revolve around minorities, The majority has no issue with this at all.

Even not that. I'm 2.5 Mbps and downloading it once in a while is only 1.5 hours. You don't need to stare at the screen all the time !
I think it is an issue for some US folks with data caps. This really sucks.

PS: some videogames are 50+ GBps at launch. Took me a week, day and night to download Doom, lol.

chessmyantidrug 09-05-2018 02:48 AM

There's no need to update your driver every time a new driver comes out. I do agree with the integrity check, though. Otherwise drivers will only get bigger and bigger and downloads will become ridiculous. I hope data caps don't become a trend. I've only seen them used in bigger cities where faster speeds are offered and the caps are easier to hit because of the faster speeds.

Diffident 09-05-2018 03:04 AM

Does that include GeForce Experience? For comparison, the Linux driver is only 83mb.

Quote:

Version: 396.54

Release Date: 2018.8.21

Operating System: Linux 64-bit

Language:English (US)

File Size: 82.92 MB

Rayleyne 09-05-2018 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termathor (Post 27610102)
Even not that. I'm 2.5 Mbps and downloading it once in a while is only 1.5 hours. You don't need to stare at the screen all the time !
I think it is an issue for some US folks with data caps. This really sucks.

PS: some videogames are 50+ GBps at launch. Took me a week, day and night to download Doom, lol.

Datacaps aren't just a US thing, They are a very big thing in australia still, "Unlimited" has only recently started to take off.