Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Help picking new monitor (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1709254-help-picking-new-monitor.html)

Gothmog 09-26-2018 08:28 AM

Help picking new monitor

Hi guys. I am struggling the past weeks trying to find a new monitor. It will upgrade my LG 23MA53 1080p 60Hz monitor/tv that i am using for the past years. Im leaning towards 1440p 144/165hz , and more specifically to XB271HU . The problem is im still not sure if it would be better to go for an ultrawide 1440p @100Hz rather than normal 1440 144. Im not focusing on competitive online gaming, but i spend a fair time playing cs go and other fast paced shoot games, as well as single player games like the withcher 3. I cant decide if the extra immersion of the UW is worth the 44Hz toll ( since there are no UW 1440p @144/165 which is what i originally had in mind ~sad~ ) . I know that coming from a 1080p 60hz monitor/tv both purchases ( UW or not ) will amaze me. I would like to hear some opinions. I value the extra screen space and immersion of UW but also want the 144.

JackCY 09-26-2018 09:27 AM

If you can even find either of those defect free, probably get both, keep the one you like more or is less defective.

Fishinfan 09-26-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmog (Post 27639618)
Hi guys. I am struggling the past weeks trying to find a new monitor. It will upgrade my LG 23MA53 1080p 60Hz monitor/tv that i am using for the past years. Im leaning towards 1440p 144/165hz , and more specifically to XB271HU . The problem is im still not sure if it would be better to go for an ultrawide 1440p @100Hz rather than normal 1440 144. Im not focusing on competitive online gaming, but i spend a fair time playing cs go and other fast paced shoot games, as well as single player games like the withcher 3. I cant decide if the extra immersion of the UW is worth the 44Hz toll ( since there are no UW 1440p @144/165 which is what i originally had in mind ~sad~ ) . I know that coming from a 1080p 60hz monitor/tv both purchases ( UW or not ) will amaze me. I would like to hear some opinions. I value the extra screen space and immersion of UW but also want the 144.

If you play shotter games then I would suggest the xb271hu.

Gothmog 09-26-2018 11:10 AM

I play both types of games, definitely not competitively so dont need the 144hz for having any kind of advantage while gaming on cs go or overwatch, but mainly for extra smoothness. I think the ultra wide will be much better , both in everyday use and immersion. But , my question is : is the 100 to 144 Hz difference big enough to justify NOT to go for Ultra Wide @100Hz?

shilka 09-26-2018 12:36 PM

Not all games work with ultrawide which is something some ultrawide owners complain a lot about

It depends on the games you want to play so the answer is simple if the games you want to play works with ultrawide go with that
If they dont work with ultrawide go with a normal 16:9 monitor

Gothmog 09-26-2018 01:19 PM

Wont most AAA titles support UW without problems ? I mean, I cant really tell what games i play and will want to play in the future and check if each one of them supports UW. As a UW im considering PG348Q .

The Pook 09-26-2018 01:28 PM

Depends on the exact game if it supports ultrawide or not. I know CS:GO was a deal breaker for me when I was in the market for a monitor, but I think with the Panorama UI update it got (complete) 21:9 support. Before the game itself scaled properly to 21:9, but the HUD was stretched and the buy menu was broken.

Gothmog 09-26-2018 01:42 PM

Well i can assume that new games will all support UW from now on. The problem will most likely be with older games. Plus i think that there are many work arounds to fix the scaling even on older games that dont natively support UW. So yea the UW i guess will have some chances to not be compatible with a few , mainly older titles but on the majority should be ok.

farmdve 09-26-2018 01:47 PM

Dude, picking a monitor is like the most difficult task you will ever come to know. You are already experiencing the symptoms. Resolution and inches and IPS vs TN, then comes which monitor. Then you hear about IPS Bleed, TN Banding and Pixel Inversion. Then you will google the monitor and see reddit reviews of people claiming how bad they are and how it depends on luck to get a good IPS Panel.

shilka 09-26-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmog (Post 27640036)
Well i can assume that new games will all support UW from now on. The problem will most likely be with older games. Plus i think that there are many work arounds to fix the scaling even on older games that dont natively support UW. So yea the UW i guess will have some chances to not be compatible with a few , mainly older titles but on the majority should be ok.

You should not assume that as not all game developers can or want to make support for everything outside of just 16:9
Smaller indie games developers probably wont have all that great support

Ultrawide is a trade off really yes it looks great IF the game support it and everything works as it should
Its a bit like SLI and Crossfire great when everything works and horrible when its not working

You need to consider if you think it will be worth the hassle or not
In my case i would never buy an ultrawide monitor because i watch a lot of 16:9 and even some 4:3 videos on my monitor