Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Computer Cases (https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/)
-   -   [MonsterLabo] The First now on sale! Passive SFF case. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/1710276-monsterlabo-first-now-sale-passive-sff-case.html)

Duality92 10-09-2018 11:10 AM

[MonsterLabo] The First now on sale! Passive SFF case.

Revised dimensions bring it to from the original 400*200*200 (16L) up to 430*215*205, which equates to about 19L just flush with SFF specifications.

Source : https://www.monsterlabo.com/

Facebook source : https://www.facebook.com/14987144869...8824619905715/

Magariz 10-09-2018 12:41 PM

I'm trying to wrap my head around what this is lol

ILoveHighDPI 10-09-2018 09:44 PM

This is the kind of thing that makes me wish AMD had a high performance APU.

I still think it would be awesome to use the Threadripper socket for an APU.

Offler 10-10-2018 12:41 AM

I like the design, but whast worth on that case of 400 dollars?

ToTheSun! 10-10-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magariz (Post 27659674)

Pretty sure it's a case.

spinFX 10-10-2018 12:50 AM

Pfft you call that SFF? Seems only marginally smaller than the average mid tower.

Duality92 10-10-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offler (Post 27660414)

Well considering you get a huge heatsink for both GPU and CPU with partly aluminum, I think it's quite fair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinFX (Post 27660422)
Pfft you call that SFF? Seems only marginally smaller than the average mid tower.

Yep. 19L is SFF. Small. I'd towers like the In Win 805 for example is 44L, so over twice the size. I consider less than half the size of a mid tower much more than marginally smaller.

Offler 10-10-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27660730)
Well considering you get a huge heatsink for both GPU and CPU with partly aluminum, I think it's quite fair.

Well, i would expect a high-quality fanless PSU in the package. Something like 600W Seasonic Prime Ultra Fanless... When i counted price of the coolers and the case and fan, my expectations were up to 250 dollars/euro.

Duality92 10-10-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offler (Post 27660754)
Well, i would expect a high-quality fanless PSU in the package. Something like 600W Seasonic Prime Ultra Fanless... When i counted price of the coolers and the case and fan, my expectations were up to 250 dollars/euro.

I don't think you realize most of the similarly built SFF niche cases cost 200+. S4M, Louqe, even the InWin 805 is 200$. Try to design one yourself and have it quoted and let us know how much you'd sell it if it's that easy, you'll quickly realize it's justifiable.

JackCY 10-10-2018 08:17 AM

That's because these smaller cases are often done in low volume due to low demand, as such the costs are high and you're better off making your own instead. There are not many pictures of the passive cooling either and what capacity it has, where the intakes and vents are. There have been passive cases before and with more sensible mounting of their "heatpipes" because the pipes were not rigid. Plus you can really just buy a small case and attach a large $50 heatsink for passive cooling.

bigjdubb 10-10-2018 08:39 AM

Once you add hardware to something like this case those Intel NUC's don't seem to be priced all that bad.

Duality92 10-10-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 27660946)
That's because these smaller cases are often done in low volume due to low demand, as such the costs are high and you're better off making your own instead. There are not many pictures of the passive cooling either and what capacity it has, where the intakes and vents are. There have been passive cases before and with more sensible mounting of their "heatpipes" because the pipes were not rigid. Plus you can really just buy a small case and attach a large $50 heatsink for passive cooling.

could you give me an example of small case with a large $50 heatsink that can be used passively?

Duality92 10-10-2018 09:13 AM

What kind of tests would you guys like to see during my BETA testing?

Offler 10-10-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27661032)
What kind of tests would you guys like to see during my BETA testing?

Combined stress test of CPU/GPU and check if they actually throttle. I would not mind if it will be AMD or Intel or Nvidia. They dared to put some R9-290x on their compatibility list so I am quite curious...

Namwons 10-10-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI (Post 27660298)
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish AMD had a high performance APU.

I still think it would be awesome to use the Threadripper socket for an APU.

I believe AMD does have designs for TR4(i think) apu's with HBM mem code named Fenghaung Not sure if they will release it for TR4 (most likely if so) or AM4...or not at all.

Duality92 10-10-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namwons (Post 27661524)
I believe AMD does have designs for TR4(i think) apu's with HBM mem code named Fenghaung Not sure if they will release it for TR4 (most likely if so) or AM4...or not at all.

Would be great for a WS with massive storage, four+ LSI raid cards in there with 20+ drives and useable GPU/CPU.

JackCY 10-12-2018 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27661808)
Would be great for a WS with massive storage, four+ LSI raid cards in there with 20+ drives and useable GPU/CPU.

All stuck into a tiny SFF case with passive cooling.

epic1337 10-12-2018 03:14 AM

20+ drives and a passive case doesn't sound so great, there are better cases with near silent designs.

Chargeit 10-12-2018 08:52 AM

Thing is priced way outside what I'd be willing to pay for a small case but I like the idea and look of the thing. Should be interesting to see some cooling benchmarks. Personally the deeper I get into system building the more appealing the idea of a compact case becomes.

Duality92 10-12-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargeit (Post 27664612)
Thing is priced way outside what I'd be willing to pay for a small case but I like the idea and look of the thing. Should be interesting to see some cooling benchmarks. Personally the deeper I get into system building the more appealing the idea of a compact case becomes.

There's a guy on SFF forums that has a 5L case (without any power brick) with a 8700K and 1080.

mothergoose729 10-12-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27664788)
There's a guy on SFF forums that has a 5L case (without any power brick) with a 8700K and 1080.

I have seen people take those 30$ mini itx cooler master cases before, add a corsair AIO 120mm, and then use a water block on the gpu and put it all on the same loop. If you don't overclock the CPU or GPU and have a fan with good static pressure you can get away with very little.

Something like this:
https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductI...119-299-02.jpg

Duality92 10-12-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargeit (Post 27664612)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729 (Post 27665078)
I have seen people take those 30$ mini itx cooler master cases before, add a corsair AIO 120mm, and then use a water block on the gpu and put it all on the same loop. If you don't overclock the CPU or GPU and have a fan with good static pressure you can get away with very little.

Something like this:
https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductI...119-299-02.jpg

That's still like 20L cases ;)

There are people who take Fractal Design Node 202's, which are 10L, put a full custom loop with GPU/CPU.

drewafx 10-12-2018 06:12 PM

Custom watercooling CPU & GPU definitely costs upwards of $400, so I think price is ok-ish for those looking to get into quiet cooling solutions.
That being said, lack of water as thermal "tank" will result in higher CPU & GPU temps even with fans running.
I'd be interested in test results showing hardware temperature during load, since manufacturer's claim of 8700k and GTX1080 working fanless seems to be lacking details.

What I really would consider as upgrade is a energy saving tech that can charge a supercapacitor and later be used to charge phone, tablet, etc.

Reduced waste heat => cooler air => less AC usage :)

Duality92 04-10-2019 04:05 PM

You ready?

http://imgur.com/gallery/zRnUIKr

Mr. Mojo 04-10-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27928930)

I'm gonna be watching this. I've done the silent/almost silent thing, and I've built a few media centers, but I've never tried my hand at a compact, fanless build. Interested to see how it works out.

skupples 04-10-2019 04:52 PM

tfw people who've been in the community for ages still can't comprehend the process and cost behind small batch manufacturing by basement sized operations.

epic case, would buy if was my type of thing. I'd use it for HTPC epicness.

Master Chicken 04-10-2019 08:48 PM

I like the vertical nature. Will make for some interesting builds. My first run-in with fanless SFF was Streacom and the heat pipes with ITX socket placement was a challenge on the ASUS board I used. I think the link in the OP needs to be corrected. I get a 404 error on it now.

speed_demon 04-10-2019 10:49 PM

The monsterlabo link is not working and I do not engage with Facebook content.

Super interesting concept though. I've seen the high end Fractal Node case builds and am blown away at the creativity of SFF cases these days. Passive is great until you begin to hear the whine coming from your electronics. I prefer a few fans running as they mask some of the high frequencies of other components.

epic1337 04-11-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 27929340)
The monsterlabo link is not working and I do not engage with Facebook content.

Super interesting concept though. I've seen the high end Fractal Node case builds and am blown away at the creativity of SFF cases these days. Passive is great until you begin to hear the whine coming from your electronics. I prefer a few fans running as they mask some of the high frequencies of other components.

the old link doesn't work anymore, go to their main page instead.
https://www.monsterlabo.com/

agatong55 04-11-2019 04:42 AM

Linus just did a review on this case, seems pretty interesting, I would not buy it but I'm sure there is a target audience for this thing.

Mr. Mojo 04-11-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 27929340)
Passive is great until you begin to hear the whine coming from your electronics. I prefer a few fans running as they mask some of the high frequencies of other components.

That's why I don't get too crazy about silent builds these days. I have tinnitus, so I almost always have a stand fan, AC, or ceiling fan running to block out the ringing. I still prefer my rig to not sound like a hair dryer, but under 30db or quieter than the background fan is usually good enough for me.

luisxd 04-11-2019 09:01 PM

299 euro for a micro atx case and a heatsink attached to it...

...i wonder if they get any profit lol

/s

Duality92 04-11-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisxd (Post 27930738)
299 euro for a micro atx case and a heatsink attached to it...

...i wonder if they get any profit lol

/s

A high end passive heatsink for a GPU, a high end passive heatsink for a CPU and a limited run case, do the math, you'll see they're not too far off. Add the niche, new company and low quantity run factor to it and voila, you have a reasonable price for what the product is. Anyone thinking otherwise is not target audience, just that simple really.

luisxd 04-11-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 27928978)
tfw people who've been in the community for ages still can't comprehend the process and cost behind small batch manufacturing by basement sized operations.

epic case, would buy if was my type of thing. I'd use it for HTPC epicness.

You can't justify an overpriced product with high production costs, it's not problem of the potential client, it's a problem of the producer, if you can't reduce your production costs and make it accessible and appealing for potential clients it's your fault.

There's clearly a way to make things cheaper (which means lower selling price) but it involves taking a risk and investing in your business, which clearly he's not.

Duality92 04-11-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisxd (Post 27930744)
You can't justify an overpriced product with high production costs, it's not problem of the potential client, it's a problem of the producer, if you can't reduce your production costs and make it accessible and appealing for potential clients it's your fault.

There's clearly a way to make things cheaper (which means lower selling price) but it involves taking a risk and investing in your business, which clearly he's not.

She*

It's not overpriced, that's your opinion, meaning a product would be, for you personally, over what you would like to spend. You can always make things cheaper, but if you go to China and say, I want X to be Y quality, you let them set the price because if you say, well that's a bit too pricey, they'll cut corners to make it cheaper for you, but you won't have the product you initially wanted, the product you decided you want to sell to your customers. Having audited many suppliers in China for various processes and products, I can say with certainty, this is how it's MOSTLY done.

A Noctua D15 is 80 euros, a high end GPU is 60, a limited run, high quality, small case is 150 euros (Dan cases, Ncase M1, etc), that's 290 euros. Put all those three elements into a case for 9 more and you've got the price of a "The First".

The producer knows where it can and cannot cut corners to reach the target price they want. If they've reached that price it's because the product is at the quality they're looking for. Now, if you don't have substance about actual factual data on how they could've reduced their costs with keeping the same quality product as they have, appart from higher quantity runs (they're not rich, they're not even letting us keep the cases, we're doing the review of these because we're enthusiasts and we love stuff like this, but I digress).

epic1337 04-11-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27930762)
A Noctua D15 is 80 euros, a high end GPU is 60, a limited run, high quality, small case is 150 euros (Dan cases, Ncase M1, etc), that's 290 euros. Put all those three elements into a case for 9 more and you've got the price of a "The First".

yes, this case is clearly a 3-in-1 product.
consisting of a Chassis, CPU Heatsink, and GPU heatsink.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b...ichier%201.png

white owl 04-11-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with niche products, if you aren't going to mass produce something in China and want a quality product it's going to have to be a little expensive (which it really isn't). You can't mass produce something for a market that isn't there, PC building is niche, custom cooling even more so, custom air cooling even more so, custom passive air cooling even more so, custom passive cooling for a GPU and CPU even more so, custom passive cooling for a CPU and GPU integrated into a nice case even more still.
Hell, Case Labs stuff cost way more than this and had no cooling included.

There's no blame or fault, no one's doing anything wrong. If you don't like this sort of thing why even bother posting?
You might as well say any high end auto maker is wrong for not making enough cars to be cheap.

Please tell us, how would you make a product of equal quality and capability without mass producing for less money?

ToTheSun! 04-12-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

You do not understand the point of this product nor its target audience, sorry to say.

Smanci 04-13-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Considering a great amount of people are willing to splurge the same amount of money on crap like NZXT H200i + Corsair H100i + fans, there's definitely a market for this.
Selling all the key parts separately at the same total price would trick people into thinking it is somehow more affordable than it actually is.

Hwgeek 04-13-2019 08:41 AM

1 issue- Coil Whine :-(.
Is there a Review list of GPU/MB models without Coil Whine?

Duality92 04-13-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwgeek (Post 27932252)
1 issue- Coil Whine :-(.

I think it can even vary per board, same model same revision :(

Hwgeek 04-13-2019 12:05 PM

This is why passive PC should be pre built by the store/company, so they can bin the parts w/o coil whine for silent passive cooling builds.
IMO, if GPU/MB vendors are releasing stupid amounts of different SKU's - there is a market space for special GPU's/MB SKU's for Passive silent PC builds with special attention for coils Whine- do you agree?

Duality92 04-13-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwgeek (Post 27932458)
This is why passive PC should be pre built by the store/company, so they can bin the parts w/o coil whine for silent passive cooling builds.
IMO, if GPU/MB vendors are releasing stupid amounts of different SKU's - there is a market space for special GPU's/MB SKU's for Passive silent PC builds with special attention for coils Whine- do you agree?

I agree, but I don't think it's feasible. Simply because one product can start doing coil whine after like a few months of use and get worst with time.

Blameless 04-13-2019 09:26 PM

Price is high, but not out of line for what it is. There really isn't anything like it in anywhere near this form factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwgeek (Post 27932252)

Wouldn't do much good as coil whine can be highly variable from sample to sample.

If I was making a dead silent system, I'd either be binning all the components for power and noise, or I'd encapsulate everything with any significant power conversion hardware so it was physically incapable of making noise.

Ceadderman 04-13-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offler (Post 27660414)

For the sake of the argument...

Price of a mid to high end Air Cooled CPU cooler? between $50-100? And there are very few that are sincerely distinguishable from the pack without a fan like Noctua?

Price of a High end GPU cooler? What about 50?

This case has so much metal invested in it (just for cooling purposes) that I am pretty sure they're taking a bath on msrp. Metal isn't cheap these days. About the only way you can get it so is if your purchasing in such bulk that it would be a loss anyway should the market go low on cost.

R&D ain't free neither. Two components using the same Heatsink for cooling? Yeah that costs $$$ to see if it's a feasible idea in the first place. :)

~Ceadder :drink:

epic1337 04-14-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman (Post 27932806)

Price of a mid to high end Air Cooled CPU cooler? between $50-100? And there are very few that are sincerely distinguishable from the pack without a fan like Noctua?

This case has so much metal invested in it (just for cooling purposes) that I am pretty sure they're taking a bath on msrp. Metal isn't cheap these days. About the only way you can get it so is if your purchasing in such bulk that it would be a loss anyway should the market go low on cost.

R&D ain't free neither. Two components using the same Heatsink for cooling? Yeah that costs $$$ to see if it's a feasible idea in the first place. :)

you speak as if those high-end CPU and GPU coolers doesn't use metal nor requires R&D. :p
i mean sure if we compare it to a DIY build the total cost comes close, but my point is you shouldn't use material/R&D cost as a basis for differentiating between the two.

if i were to point out one thing that makes this warrant the extra premium then it'd be the part "passive SFF", with an emphasis on the word "passive".
you can't really find many items that does that within reasonable performance, to point out this case is designed to handle a total combined CPU 95W + GPU 190W TDP.

Duality92 04-14-2019 04:48 AM

I'll be plugging a 9900K and 2080 in this rig for testing, we'll see how it does.

Offler 04-14-2019 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman (Post 27932806)

Quote:

Originally Posted by epic1337 (Post 27932896)
you speak as if those high-end CPU and GPU coolers doesn't use metal nor requires R&D. :p
i mean sure if we compare it to a DIY build the total cost comes close, but my point is you shouldn't use material/R&D cost as a basis for differentiating between the two.

if i were to point out one thing that makes this warrant the extra premium then it'd be the part "passive SFF", with an emphasis on the word "passive".
you can't really find many items that does that within reasonable performance, to point out this case is designed to handle a total combined CPU 95W + GPU 190W TDP.

In some cases you dont have an option to NOT buy a cooler with either GPU or CPU, and those price will be attached to the resulting system regardless of used case, regardless if you opt for a custom cooling solution.

High-end CPU cooler, with comparable size as here goes up to 50-70 dollars and in this regard the cooling capability/price seems to me reasonable, except coolers of this size can go in fact as high as 250w TDP if fan is added...

High-end GPU cooler with comparable size and TDP can sink up to 300 watts - even the passive ones, the price is up to 100...

Case for 250 Dollars... Still pricy considering all the circumstances, including R&D and effect of "moving jobs back to US" on prices of metals in US...

Duality92 04-14-2019 05:38 AM

Wait til you see the bundle lol, I unboxed it just to prep it for pictures (don't want to have additional steps to do during the photoshoot) and for example, the case is in a home machine sown thick fabric bag on top of the plastic bag. This is easily a high tiered premium product. And the heatsink fins are thicker than some steel used on cases.

epic1337 04-14-2019 07:58 AM

thicker fins are necessary for better thermal conductivity, considering how massive the fin stack is as opposed to how heatpipes are spread.
are the CPU and GPU heatsinks connected or are they separate?

Nukemaster 04-14-2019 08:14 AM

Subbed to see the updates on this case.

Duality92 04-14-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epic1337 (Post 27933040)
thicker fins are necessary for better thermal conductivity, considering how massive the fin stack is as opposed to how heatpipes are spread.
are the CPU and GPU heatsinks connected or are they separate?

Seperate. The heatsink is composed of 12 heat pipes, 6 for CPU, 6 for GPU along with 4 metal rods for rigidity and mounting inside the case.

Duality92 04-14-2019 11:23 AM

Here's what's included in my package.

Worth the asking price? Definitely.

http://imgur.com/gallery/AElPkDH

BinaryBummer 04-15-2019 02:37 AM

What this is?

It is the start of the company saying the consumer is to dumb to build there own so we made this design in hope you would buy it. Then we can prove to the world that the consumer will yearn for systems like this.

Really it is a concept but how many would really throw a bone for it? Reason.. If the company goes under you could have one of the few ever built and sold.

Cheers!

ToTheSun! 04-15-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryBummer (Post 27933764)
What this is?

It is the start of the company saying the consumer is to dumb to build there own so we made this design in hope you would buy it. Then we can prove to the world that the consumer will yearn for systems like this.

Really it is a concept but how many would really throw a bone for it? Reason.. If the company goes under you could have one of the few ever built and sold.

Cheers!

wat.jpg

Drake87 04-15-2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

What this is?

Cheers!

There appears to be a language barrier here. Also, I assume you meant "Losing" Vision instead of "Loosing". Carry on.

Duality92 04-15-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

What this is?

Cheers!

Well, I guess you really don't understand the product you're looking at if that's how you feel. Your opinion is welcomed, but saying it like a statement, which in itself is not the goal of the company at all.

Ceadderman 04-15-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epic1337 (Post 27932896)

Not at all. Of course AIB and Aftermarket companies spend money on R&D. If they didn't they likely wouldn't be around long. My point was simply that no other company incorporates CPU and GPU into the same massive heatsink. R&D money spent makes this happen.

Also the side note that tariffs drive the cost of steel and aluminum. Companies will charge enough to absorb their costs when using metals to manufacture product. On top of the cost for the metal to be pressed to tolerance. Press fabrication is cheaper as the volume increases, but for a case like this, I doubt they will be making over 10k units. If they do it wouldn't be an exponential increase. Maybe a shift up to 25k max until the manufacturer sees how popular this case is. We're not talking a Lian-Li TJ series case here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duality92 (Post 27932950)
I'll be plugging a 9900K and 2080 in this rig for testing, we'll see how it does.

Yes please, would like to see your results.

emeianoite 04-16-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magariz (Post 27659674)

Well, i'm not an expert, but it's definitely not a horse.

Duality92 04-16-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeianoite (Post 27935484)
Well, i'm not an expert, but it's definitely not a horse.

Keep going, you'll get there someday! ..., maybe.

ENTERPRISE 04-17-2019 02:03 AM

Moved to computer cases as no longer news.