Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Ars Technica] After $5 billion EU antitrust fine, Google will start charging for Android apps (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1711040-ars-technica-after-5-billion-eu-antitrust-fine-google-will-start-charging-android-apps.html)

LancerVI 10-17-2018 03:57 PM

[Ars Technica] After $5 billion EU antitrust fine, Google will start charging for Android apps

Quote:

Breaking up Google's licensing agreement is going to have a financial impact on OEMs. As Google puts it, "Since the pre-installation of Google Search and Chrome together with our other apps helped us fund the development and free distribution of Android, we will introduce a new paid licensing agreement for smartphones and tablets shipped into the EEA." That's right, OEMs now have to pay to access the Google apps, but Google doesn't say how much. The core Android OS, Google says "will remain free and open source."
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...pps-in-the-eu/

epic1337 10-17-2018 06:50 PM

wait, so now its illegal to distribute software for free to the point that you get anti-trust lawsuits?

Kana Chan 10-17-2018 07:28 PM

Charge 0.0000001 cent per installation?

LancerVI 10-17-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kana Chan (Post 27672862)
Charge 0.0000001 cent per installation?

If I were google, I'd go in exactly the opposite direction. Charge more, but only in EU countries.

I admit my response would be purely out of spite.

Namwons 10-17-2018 09:42 PM

Can they not pay to have Google preloaded? Let consumers decide on apps imo.

Omega X 10-17-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namwons (Post 27672964)
Can they not pay to have Google preloaded? Let consumers decide on apps imo.

They can, but they lose out on the Play Store and Play Services. At minimum they could choose not to preload Search and Chrome but they still have to pay a fee for entry into Google's world. This is a potential opening for Amazon and the Chinese which already has separate ecosystems. But the European Market will have to be willing to give up everything Google has offered up to this point.

This is a very spiteful change. The EU will essentially reimburse Google for the trouble of extra regulaton.

Defoler 10-17-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epic1337 (Post 27672828)
wait, so now its illegal to distribute software for free to the point that you get anti-trust lawsuits?

Well, yes. If you put it for free and control most of the market, and by doing so you prevent competition.
That is what MS did with IE when they had to pay. Not that it made any difference whatsoever. The fines are just EU's way to to get funding for other things.
They need X billions to fund some project? They go fine a big company and there you go, funding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancerVI (Post 27672900)
Charge more, but only in EU countries.

That is exactly what they are doing.
In the article they state that they will charge to smartphones that are going into the european market.
So phones in the EU are going to cost even more than they already are compared to china or US.

Though this is going to be interesting what OEMs are going to do. Will we see a bloom of crappy bloated adware browsers replacing chrome, or will OEMs just transfer that fee into EU going phones?

Imglidinhere 10-17-2018 11:07 PM

What was the original issue that sparked this ordeal? I vaguely remember it, I think...

epic1337 10-17-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere (Post 27673026)
What was the original issue that sparked this ordeal? I vaguely remember it, I think...

Google blocking App usage on non-approved platforms.
e.g. you can't run PlayStore on a non-approved android fork.

JackCY 10-18-2018 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epic1337 (Post 27672828)

It's bad if they force them to and preinstall them along with core functionality. One would have to read the crazy licenses device makers have to deal with. Aka it may be free now but you have to do this and this and that... yeah not cool.

They could also stop hoarding that crazy $$$ and use a better faster OS on mobile devices than Android finally. That thing is bloated.

Quote:

Google blocking App usage on non-approved platforms.
e.g. you can't run PlayStore on a non-approved android fork.
So they have their own stores when Google is being evil as always.