Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [POLYGON] No Man’s Sky adds more underwater gameplay with The Abyss (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1712018-polygon-no-mana-s-sky-adds-more-underwater-gameplay-abyss.html)

keikei 10-30-2018 08:45 AM

[POLYGON] No Man’s Sky adds more underwater gameplay with The Abyss

Quote:

A trailer for The Abyss, also referred to as update 1.7, shows vastly expanded underwater environments. Hello Games said that it’s added five underwater biomes for players to discover and filled them with greater quantities of “more interesting” creatures. The video shows octopus-like aliens jetting around in the distance, but also a breed of monocular megafauna that appears is best avoided at all costs.
source
Steampage

farmdve 10-30-2018 08:45 AM

What for? A game that nobody plays.

Tom Brohanks 10-30-2018 08:47 AM

Looks like a ripoff of Subnautica

keikei 10-30-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Brohanks (Post 27692236)
Looks like a ripoff of Subnautica

I'm sure there is some heavy influence. Its often compared to it, but not quite at that level. The game is being tweaked 6 ways from sunday. I expect it to play very differently next year.

crust_cheese 10-30-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdve (Post 27692226)

At least they're releasing free content updates instead of just doing nothing, I don't know.

The Pook 10-30-2018 10:27 AM

Friend of mine gifted me the game about a week ago because he's really into it.

It's so booooooooriiiiiiiiiinggggg. What's the end game? Just mining stuff until you get bored? How is that fun for anyone?

Really can't get into it.

Insan1tyOne 10-30-2018 10:53 AM

I'm honestly confused about how (and why) Hello Games is still adding major content updates to this game? Are they hoping to make it the game that they "promised" way back before its release and then try and re-release it as "No Man's Sky 2" or what? With all of the people who cancelled their pre-orders, refunded the game, or just plain didn't buy it, how do they even have the funds to keep releasing free content for it? I just don't get it, but more power to them. Maybe in another year or two this game will actually be worth playing.

keikei 10-30-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne (Post 27692466)
I'm honestly confused about how (and why) Hello Games is still adding major content updates to this game? Are they hoping to make it the game that they "promised" way back before its release and then try and re-release it as "No Man's Sky 2" or what? With all of the people who cancelled their pre-orders, refunded the game, or just plain didn't buy it, how do they even have the funds to keep releasing free content for it? I just don't get it, but more power to them. Maybe in another year or two this game will actually be worth playing.

Supposedly, 43 mill net profit in steam sales alone? I'd say they got some wiggle room to do what that want. I'm guessing like you in terms of motivation for Murray. Build up / recover some rep and release a sequel or new IP later on. Subnautica fans might bite on this new content. It does have survival game aspects and there really isnt much in terms of comp in the genre with such a big name, so it'll draw a lot of attention.

Sir Beregond 10-30-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Could be worse. They could have just not done anything. Won't fault them for trying to make it what they promised.

I got the game on the Next update. I enjoy for nothing more than being a relaxing low-key game to kill a bit of time with. I also like games I can basebuild with.

tpi2007 10-30-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdve (Post 27692226)

Quote:

You probably missed the news from the end of July, but it actually went up to the top of the Steam charts with the previous update (called "Next"), so they have been making money.

Here: https://www.techspot.com/news/75716-...top-steam.html

Quote:

With so many new features and graphical overhauls, Next has turned No Man’s Sky into the game people were expecting in 2016. Additionally, what is arguably the most critical aspect has now been fully implemented: multiplayer. The update has seen NMS climb to the top of the Steam charts and is currently the seventh most popular game on the platform, with 90,651 concurrent players today (at the time of writing). Moreover, Steam reviews have moved from Mixed to Very Positive, with 82 percent of user reviews in the last 30 days being positive.

Edit: As of right now, it's in the top 100 most played games in the 85th position with over 5k concurrent players and above Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ouch, no wonder the game is on sale again. And even more ouch, because the preceding game, Rise of The Tomb Raider, has more people playing it.)

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/