Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Various] [Updated] Microsoft Broke Windows 10’s File Associations With a Botched Update (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1712756-various-updated-microsoft-broke-windows-10a-s-file-associations-botched-update.html)

tpi2007 11-07-2018 11:12 AM

[Various] [Updated] Microsoft Broke Windows 10’s File Associations With a Botched Update

Quote:

File associations no longer work properly on Windows 10 after a buggy update. Windows won’t let you select certain applications as your defaults. We tested multiple PCs running the stable version of Windows 10, and they all had this problem.

This is a strange bug. It affects some applications, but not others. For example, Windows 10 won’t let you make Adobe Photoshop or Notepad++ a default application for images or text files. But you can make other applications, like IrfanView, VLC, or Google Chrome, your defaults.
Source.

Update: They have acknowledged the bug, but are in no hurry to fix it:

https://betanews.com/2018/11/09/fix-...ation-problem/

Quote:

If your problem is the latter, the good news is Microsoft is working on a fix. The bad news is it doesn’t seem to be in a huge hurry to solve the problem.
Quote:

Quote:

This bug is a known issue caused by KB4464330 (OS Build 17763.55). Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available in late November 2018.

Late November. Wonderful.

kzone75 11-07-2018 11:20 AM

I was wondering why I couldn't associate MPC-HC to video files.. This is the only issue I've had with Windows 10 in a very very long time.

Bal3Wolf 11-07-2018 12:36 PM

last updates they put out been buggy as heck i had a client pc i work on wont boot anymore after a update had to uninstall the update and hide it from installing or it would get stuck in a forever boot logo.

TFL Replica 11-07-2018 12:40 PM

Are we absolutely sure this is a bug and not a deliberate "feature"?

Gunderman456 11-07-2018 12:43 PM

Glad haven't gone Win 10 yet as it seems every second update comes with issues.

JackCY 11-07-2018 12:50 PM

Which update is that? All my file associations work fine. I have the KB4462919 installed, almost a month now, haven't noticed any issues.

valvehead 11-07-2018 12:50 PM

I just checked on two of my machines running Windows 10 Pro 1803.

One machine had no problems with associations. The .txt extension was properly associated with Notepad++ (as it had been for a long time). I could even set the default for .txt to Notepad and back to Notepad++ with no problems.

On the other machine I had never set associations for Notepad++, so .txt was still set to Notepad. Here I did encounter the problem described in the article. In Windows Settings, Notepad++ was not even available as an assignable option. If I right-clicked a .txt file, I could chose to open it with Notepad++, but the association would not stick.

Here's what I did to fix the problem. I ran Notepad++ as admin, went to Settings -> Preferences -> File Association and moved .txt (and some others) over to the Registered Extensions column. After closing Notepad++ I could set the association properly and have it stick.

This appears to be a registration issue. Note that this is different from association as the former is what tells Windows that the program is capable of handling the filetype (I could be wrong about this). It's possible that KB4462919 caused some registrations to be reset (as the article speculates), but this is not a new phenomenon. I've had this issue occasionally going all the way back to the XP days. However, I've generally had no problems with associations if the program had correctly registered its filetypes during installation.

ToTheSun! 11-07-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27705846)
Glad haven't gone Win 10 yet as it seems every second update comes with issues.

My gpedited Win10 Education never updates unless I ask it to, which is very nice because I get to watch the chaos from afar.

Elrick 11-07-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27705876)
My gpedited Win10 Education never updates unless I ask it to, which is very nice because I get to watch the chaos from afar.

With what Redmond is producing now and forcing out to the 'gullible' - YES, far better to watch this train wreck from a good distance away :thumb: .

xJumper 11-07-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica (Post 27705844)
Are we absolutely sure this is a bug and not a deliberate "feature"?

Lol what I was thinking.