Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   4k HDR in Windows? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1714202-4k-hdr-windows.html)

kaivorth 11-24-2018 12:53 PM

4k HDR in Windows?

Got a new fancy Vizio P65-F1, and a RTX 2080 just to play Final Fantasy 15 in all it's glory (more on that later)

I set the resolution, set the refresh rate to 60hz, and when I go to toggle HDR on, the entire screen just goes green, then reverts to HDR off.

I'm on the latest drivers
30ft HDMI cord (Pushing it's limit I know, but it's working great, unless this is why I can't turn on HDR?)

Anything else I need to do to get this working?

PS: FF15 still plays like a slideshow even on this beast maxed out. Can't wait for the DLSS update.

Inelastic 11-24-2018 01:08 PM

Is there a setting on your tv to turn on "enhanced hdmi" or something like "HDR on" for the HDMI ports? Also check to see if you're on the right HDMI port as well. I know my Sony only allows it on 2 of the 4 HDMI ports. It's also possible that it's your cable. The cable has to be able to support the higher bandwidth.

I have an I7-7700K, 16gb ram, and a GTX 1070 and I can play FFXV at 4K with HDR with most settings maxed (no NVIDIA stuff and AA at FXAA) and I get like 33fps.

kaivorth 11-24-2018 01:50 PM

Using this cable, seems to support everything. Using HDMI port 4, think that's a good port. I believe 1 is for ARC, 2-4 4k 60hz, and port 5 low latency I think.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For whatever reason even 40-50fps feels SUPER choppy and slow. Once I hit that cap it's butter smooth. Will playing at 30hz 30fps feel smoother than 30fps at 60hz?

I'll try and see if 30hz works with HDR then. If it does, that would be a clue that the cable is indeed too long and can't properly get the signal.

ozlay 11-24-2018 04:21 PM

I'd use the ARC port.

Inelastic 11-25-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth (Post 27729956)
Using this cable, seems to support everything. Using HDMI port 4, think that's a good port. I believe 1 is for ARC, 2-4 4k 60hz, and port 5 low latency I think.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For whatever reason even 40-50fps feels SUPER choppy and slow. Once I hit that cap it's butter smooth. Will playing at 30hz 30fps feel smoother than 30fps at 60hz?

I'll try and see if 30hz works with HDR then. If it does, that would be a clue that the cable is indeed too long and can't properly get the signal.

I run FFXV capped at 30fps because that's all I can really do. I know when I set my tv to 30Hz, it looks like a slide show, but when I play FFXV with the fps locked at 30 and the tv at 60 Hz, it looks fine to me. That's how it runs on consoles. Doesn't hurt to see if it looks smoother with other settings though.

Did you enable the full color setting for the hdmi ports? If you did, then it could be the cable.

kaivorth 01-19-2019 03:00 PM

Wanted to update this with the solution I found.

I'm running a non-hdr monitor with a HDR TV in extended mode. It won't let me just set the TV to HDR.

Soon as I unplug the monitor, the TV can do HDR 4K @ 60hz.

Game looks BEAUTIFUL, however, my RTX2080 can only produce about 45-50fps even with DLSS which is kinda sad.

It's playable though, and doesn't distract me too much. Was worth the wait

Anzial 01-20-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth (Post 27814934)
I'm running a non-hdr monitor with a HDR TV in extended mode. It won't let me just set the TV to HDR.

Interesting, I'm not having issues running a non-HDR monitor alongside HDR TV, extended mode, the TV works in HDR just fine.

nugget toes 01-20-2019 08:07 AM

I have the same TV, and have only tried HDR on my PS4 Pro (God of War [OK HDR] and Red Dead 2 [did not like this HDR so disabled it]). How good is the HDR in FF15?

kaivorth 01-20-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anzial (Post 27815898)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth (Post 27814934)

Interesting, I'm not having issues running a non-HDR monitor alongside HDR TV, extended mode, the TV works in HDR just fine.

Had a 25ft + wall coupler + 3ft cable. Directly plugged it into the 25ft and it works. Cable is kinda tight which was why I got the 3ft cable. Going to do more testing. Wouldn't load HDR next time I turned it on. Ended up shortening my HDMI cable so I think it's a length related issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nugget toes (Post 27815912)
I have the same TV, and have only tried HDR on my PS4 Pro (God of War [OK HDR] and Red Dead 2 [did not like this HDR so disabled it]). How good is the HDR in FF15?

HDR is so beautiful. I'm also playing on ultra with 4K textures.

Anzial 01-20-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth (Post 27816776)
Ended up shortening my HDMI cable so I think it's a length related issue?

Yeah, i've read that long HDMI cables limit the bandwidth of the signal.