Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Windows Central] Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1715060-windows-central-microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-will-replace-edge-windows-10-a.html)

Omega X 12-03-2018 07:37 PM

[Windows Central] Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10

Quote:

Microsoft's Edge web browser has seen little success since its debut on Windows 10 back in 2015. Built from the ground up with a new rendering engine known as EdgeHTML, Microsoft Edge was designed to be fast, lightweight, and secure, but launched with a plethora of issues which resulted in users rejecting it early on. Edge has since struggled to gain any traction, thanks to its continued instability and lack of mindshare, from users and web developers.

Because of this, I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, a rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser. Codenamed Anaheim, this new web browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML in Windows 10's default browser is dead.

Google Chrome: IE 2.0.

TK421 12-03-2018 07:40 PM

Not surprised?

But Chrome's energy efficiency sucks compared to Edge ;|

randomizer 12-03-2018 09:15 PM

Works best in Google Chrome.

Unfortunately that has become more of a reality than I'd like to think.

xJumper 12-03-2018 10:16 PM

If they would get a clue they wouldn't even need Chrome as a base. Edge didn't fail because it wasn't fast, it's a decent browser spec wise. It failed because people don't want a piece of spyware as their main portal to the world and hate how it's baked into the OS and tries to hijack itself as the main browser every chance it gets. Now if they would do the same with Windows 10 everybody would be back on board with MS like it's 1999, we all know that's not gonna happen though.

Hopefully that steers more people onto Firefox, would like to see it back to 2010 levels of popularity where basically everyone in the know was running it.

It's a bit scary though, because when this goes through it will be a two browser game only, Chrome vs Firefox and that's. I know there's actually tons more of high quality browsers but in all reality for 99% of people there will only be two. Should Firefox ever fall or turn evil after that then it's game over.

white owl 12-03-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper (Post 27743846)
If they would get a clue they wouldn't even need Chrome as a base. Edge didn't fail because it wasn't fast, it's a decent browser spec wise. It failed because people don't want a piece of spyware as their main portal to the world and hate how it's baked into the OS and tries to hijack itself as the main browser every chance it gets. Now if they would do the same with Windows 10 everybody would be back on board with MS like it's 1999, we all know that's not gonna happen though.

Pretty much. There's nothing wrong with Edge, it's a good, light browser that has useful extensions and it's easy to use...pretty fast too. The issue is that M$ needs to mine insane amounts of data for god knows what and I really don't trust it.

ToTheSun! 12-04-2018 02:56 AM

Quote:

If they would get a clue they wouldn't even need Chrome as a base. Edge didn't fail because it wasn't fast, it's a decent browser spec wise. It failed because people don't want a piece of spyware as their main portal to the world and hate how it's baked into the OS and tries to hijack itself as the main browser every chance it gets.

That's not true. Edge only asked me once if I wanted to give it a try (right after I had installed Windows 10 and Chrome). Say no and it will leave you alone.

I tried Edge and what I disliked about it was the absence of my usual extensions (and anything that could be considered an actual alternative) and meaningful layout customization. But that's not "malevolence"; that's just their inability to create a browser people would like more or, at least, as much as Chrome.

randomizer 12-04-2018 03:27 AM

Quote:

I know there's actually tons more of high quality browsers...

They're mostly just Chrome clones with different buttons and less Google.

ryan92084 12-04-2018 04:45 AM

Edge's issue imo was that it took to long to get extensions enabled. Most people had already written it off by the time what should have been a launch feature was patched in.

LancerVI 12-04-2018 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan92084 (Post 27744116)
Edge's issue imo was that it took to long to get extensions enabled. Most people had already written it off by the time what should have been a launch feature was patched in.

Completely agree.

No extension support at launch, effectively killed any chance it had.

Cloudforever 12-04-2018 06:38 AM

that's really strange. I've ran Edge with AdBlock Pro since I moved over to 10 and i've never had any issues at all with it?

literally zero.

I find it weird that they're killing it :( lol oh well