Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Technology and Science News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/349-technology-science-news/)
-   -   [Recode] U.S. internet speeds rose nearly 40 percent this year (https://www.overclock.net/forum/349-technology-science-news/1716044-recode-u-s-internet-speeds-rose-nearly-40-percent-year.html)

bucdan 12-16-2018 08:40 AM

[Recode] U.S. internet speeds rose nearly 40 percent this year

https://www.recode.net/2018/12/12/18...d-faster-ookla

Quote:

Finally some good news: The internet is getting faster, especially fixed broadband internet. Broadband download speeds in the U.S. rose 35.8 percent and upload speeds are up 22 percent from last year, according to internet speed-test company Ookla in its latest U.S. broadband report.
Since my last post got deleted for an unfavored source, although it was first. I think this is great news.

iamjanco 12-16-2018 09:10 AM

I live in what's considered a rural area and just had Charter Spectrum out to fix an outage that started late last night. I've been paying $66/mo for 100/10 and I asked the tech about gigabit, which he told me is now available in my area. He also told me the cost to upgrade was $240 installation fee for what amounts to swapping out the modem, above and beyond the higher monthly fees. That's using the existing copper lines, btw.

He also mentioned that FIOS will be running fiber through my area which will allow for 5-10 gigabit in the near future.

While I don't need faster speeds at this point in time, it's nice to know they are available.

Imouto 12-16-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucdan (Post 27762470)
Since my last post got deleted for a unfavored source, although it was first. I think this is great news.

I'm going to repost the same.

Correlation does not imply causation

ToTheSun! 12-16-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imouto (Post 27762502)
I'm going to repost the same.

Correlation does not imply causation

Then I'm going to ask the same: what's the correlation?

clonxy 12-16-2018 10:50 AM

This news is... obvious....why would internet speeds get slower and slower?

What I'm interested in is the ratio of the rate of file size growing compared to internet speeds. For an example, anime was around 170mb for a 21 min video 10 years ago. Now it's at least 1gb. Did our internet speeds catch up so that we finish downloading an episode of an anime at the same size we did 10 years ago?

Darkpriest667 12-16-2018 11:27 AM

Must be nice. I live in Fort Worth, a city of a million people, and I can only get 50/5 EVER. They said they can never upgrade our speed and that I cannot get any other service. it's ATT Uverse ADSL OR DirectTV satellite (Owned by ATT.)

deafboy 12-16-2018 11:28 AM

Now if they could just bump those upload rates...

I have a Gig down and 35Mb up, lol, come on...

bfromcolo 12-16-2018 11:35 AM

Mine got faster too! I got the opportunity to upgrade my 5M DSL to "up to 7M" for an extra charge. So now I have 6.144 down and 0.896 up.

ToTheSun! 12-16-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfromcolo (Post 27762652)
So now I have 6.144 down and 0.896 up.

That's some next level stuff. What kind of speeds do you think 2003 will bring us?

xJumper 12-16-2018 02:03 PM

I haven't really felt the need for faster internet. I mean more is always better but for the price, why bother?

I have 25 down/10 up ADSL line, every page loads fast/instantly, never have any issues streaming anything from any of the typical websites, everything auto plays and goes without effort even at max res like 4k.

There's downloads but half the time you're limited by the server and even if you did have some crazy gigabit internet you still wouldn't be able to utilize it's full potential so it would be mostly a waste. 25/10 is also around the max most VPN's support so if I had anything faster I would have to run naked if I wanted to take advantage of it.

My usenet downloads are automated anyway so all the "Linux Distros" are downloading when I'm away or sleeping so everything is already there on the computer when I get back, never been an issue. I run an FTP server and a mail server on my residential line, there's never any issues; people can complete a 10gb download off me in 20 minutes or so. EDIT: The math on that last one makes no sense but I checked my server logs and yea client/server completed the download in 19 minutes, so maybe my ISP is messed up and somehow gave me more upload.

So yea why do I need better internet exactly? I mean if it's free yea sure why not but I don't seem to have any incentive right now. Thing to note is that this is an internet connection for me and me only, if I had 3 kids streaming stuff off tablets, Playstations, 4 phones on the wifi and other stuff it might be different.