Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Acer Predator X34P - washed out graphics?! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1716554-acer-predator-x34p-washed-out-graphics.html)

marshall123 12-23-2018 03:04 AM

Acer Predator X34P - washed out graphics?!

Hello, I have just recently moved from the AOC U3477PQU to the Acer Predator x34p. So i fired it up for the first time, display settings are set to 3440 x 1440 at 110Hz, and jumped straight into a game (assassins creed odyssey). The game is essentially set to ultra across most graphic settings, but I immediately notice that the in-game graphics in general look very washed out, lacking any kind of texture detail. Everything just looks flat almost like a painting. It almost feels like im running at a low res except im not. Game settings are all where they need to be. I tried another game (black ops 4) and again the same thing, graphics just look bland and seem to lack much of the detail that i noticed on my previous monitor.

so.....as a test i moved back to my AOC monitor which runs at 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz and both games were back to looking pretty again!

I have messed around with the OSD settings modifying the gamma/contrast/brightness etc but this stuff has zero impact on the lack of texture detail that im seeing.

whats going on? is this just a thing with high refresh rate monitors vs standard 60hz monitors?

My other specs are as follows:

i5 8400
gigabyte 1080 gtx
16 gb crucial ballistix
windows 10

Mirjalovic 12-23-2018 03:24 AM

screenshoot please ?

Anzial 12-23-2018 03:45 AM

Turn off HDR in Windows Display settings and in game. Sounds like Windows thinks your monitor is HDR capable when it is not, so the game output HDR signal to the ACER but the monitor can't understand it, leading to washed out colors.

ENTERPRISE 12-23-2018 04:47 AM

What calibration do you have it set to so far within the OSD ?

I used the calibration as detailed by Toms Hardware : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...or,4473-3.html

Works well for me, but it is still personal preference.

GoGoris 12-23-2018 05:23 AM

These are the settings on my monitor:
Gamma 1.9
Color temp: User
Red: 36
Green: 39
Blue: 53

Of course the color calibration is different for each monitor. This is how I calibrated my monitor:

1. Gamma: go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php, your gamma should be around the 2.2 mark for each color. In my case gamma 1.9 in the osd was the most correct.
2. Colors: Color temperature "Normal" was almost perfect on my monitor. So I set the color temp to "normal" and checked what the values for Red, Green and Blue were in this mode. Then I switched to "User", entered these values and tweaked them a little bit from here (in my case I added 3 blue).
3. Ergonomics: make sure that the top of the screen is around the height of your eyes and tilt the monitor slightly upwards to reduce background bleed and reflections. This helps a lot for the blacks of the monitor.
4. Software: In game or Nvidia control panel > "Adjust desktop color settings": make sure that these are the default values ("other applications control color settings", "Digital vibrance" + 50% and "Hue" +0%)
5. Windows: You can still fine tune your calibration settings using Windows "Color management" or the Nvidia control panel

marshall123 12-23-2018 02:13 PM

Is there anyone with this monitor that happens to be playing either blackout or assassins creed odyssey? I would really appreciate some in game screenshots of the environments especially ones with hills :) I really need another one of these monitors to compare against so thats why im asking. HDR is disabled in both display settings and in game, i don't believe this monitor is capable of HDR. I am continuing to look into calibration of colours but i don't believe this issue can be fixed with these basic settings. My issue seems more to be more in-game with loss of texture detail especially noticeable in distant hill etc, even though the game has draw distance set to max, its as if i have this setting turned to lowest :(

I really appreciate all this help, its good to have someone to talk to :)

12345us3r 12-24-2018 04:42 AM

The panel has a pretty low contrast ratio (almost TN level), so this doesn't surprise me.

white owl 12-24-2018 06:05 AM

DDU and re-install the GPU driver. Try a different cable.

KGPrime 12-25-2018 01:45 AM

screenshots aren't going to show you what you see on your monitor. as long as you don't have hdmi color limiting enabled you probably just have to get the gamma set correctly, or how you like it. what you are describing "washed out" is typical of low gamma, looks like Toms said the panel looks best at around 2.4 gamma, perhaps your other monitor is actually in that range and what you are used to looking at.