Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD CPUs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/)
-   -   First time AMD owner Ryzen 2600 - Ram Question (https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1716992-first-time-amd-owner-ryzen-2600-ram-question.html)

DaRookie 12-29-2018 11:47 PM

First time AMD owner Ryzen 2600 - Ram Question

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Ladies and Gent,

Let me just say the Ryzen chip is mind blowing! What's even better I got mobo, rams, and Ryzen 5 2600 for $195 brand new. I just wanna share this excitement with everyone here.

Okay onto the big question... I got the G-Skill Ripjaw V to run at 3200mhz FAST PRESET. Should I push it to 3400mhz Fast Preset and how much performance improvement will be gain?

MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 2600
G Skill Ripjaw F4 3200C16D-16GVKB

white owl 12-30-2018 12:04 AM

$200 PC? Wow, that's a great deal.
Overclocking is totally up to you.

Jspinks020 12-30-2018 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like Godddd from them...not lieing….but you can't convince anyone....You need to upgrade and well beyond Bulldozer.

DaRookie 12-30-2018 12:37 AM

So here's the thing... Last week I went to MicroCenter and purchased the ASUS Prime B450 Plus, Ryzen 5 2600, and 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX. For the love of god I cannot change the sub timing on that ram. Every time it failed, I had to swap ram from A2/B2 to A1/B1 to load into bios. The worst part about this experience is when ram is in A1/B1 DOHC will not recognized the frequency and timing until I switch it back to A2/B2. So I actually spent several hours tinkering with the ram timing. I don't know if it's the Asus mobo or the Corsair (Micron D-die) that's causing this problem.

Yesterday, I checked MicroCenter website and they had the MSI B450 Tomahawk in stock. I called to reserve it and ask them to exchange the Corsair for a G- Skill. Got home and installed the mobo, rams, and CPU. Checked ram info on Thaiphoon and ran DRam Cal for Ryzen. Changed the sub timing and it instantly load into Windows without any problem.

Tested AC Odyssey and notice min/avg FPS increase on AC Odyssey benchmark. This was on stock CPU speed. I was able to achieved that same performance with Asus mobo and Corsair when ram was at 3400mhz (DOHC profile) and CPU @ 4.2 Ghz. I wanna keep tinkering with it but if something goes wrong i just don't want to spend several more hours troubleshooting it unless 3400mhz fast preset is worth the time and performance.

Jspinks020 12-30-2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaRookie (Post 27780988)
So here's the thing... Last week I went to MicroCenter and purchased the ASUS Prime B450 Plus, Ryzen 5 2600, and 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX. For the love of god I cannot change the sub timing on that ram. Every time it failed, I had to swap ram from A2/B2 to A1/B1 to load into bios. The worst part about this experience is when ram is in A1/B1 DOHC will not recognized the frequency and timing until I switch it back to A2/B2. So I actually spent several hours tinkering with the ram timing. I don't know if it's the Asus mobo or the Corsair (Micron D-die) that's causing this problem.

Yesterday, I checked MicroCenter website and they had the MSI B450 Tomahawk in stock. I called to reserve it and ask them to exchange the Corsair for a G- Skill. Got home and installed the mobo, rams, and CPU. Checked ram info on Thaiphoon and ran DRam Cal for Ryzen. Changed the sub timing and it instantly load into Windows without any problem.

Tested AC Odyssey and notice min/avg FPS increase on AC Odyssey benchmark. This was on stock CPU speed. I was able to achieved that same performance with Asus mobo and Corsair when ram was at 3400mhz (DOHC profile) and CPU @ 4.2 Ghz. I wanna keep tinkering with it but if something goes wrong i just don't want to spend several more hours troubleshooting it unless 3400mhz fast preset is worth the time and performance.

It's the same thing with Hynix conundrum....I can boot in 3466 sometimes run for awhile and everything but it will eventually BSOD. Why I want another kit...some B-die Ripjaws kits on ebay for a good price...I know it could run 3466 at least. But I mean not a real big concern..3200 is still ok.

ComansoRowlett 12-30-2018 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaRookie (Post 27780988)

Can almost guarantee it's the board, had the same issue on the Asus X370 pro. Crosshair X470 Hero doesn't have this, I even had an issue where CMOS doesn't reset properly until you reflash a new bios when this happens.

DaRookie 12-30-2018 01:52 AM

ComansoRowlett I think you're absolutely right. I'm glad I exchanged board.

Update on the overclocking. Using AC Odyssey benchmark.

3200 mhz DOHC/XMP profile with stock setting = 52 fps

3200 mhz fast preset |CPU stock setting = 55

3200 mhz fast preset | CPU 3.9ghz = 57

3400 mhz fast preset | CPU stock settings = 57

I think I'll hit 60 FPS if I overclocked to 3.9/4.0 with 3400 fast preset. Anyways tested some other games and I gain about 10-15 fps. So definitely worth overclocking.

ComansoRowlett 12-30-2018 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaRookie (Post 27781024)
ComansoRowlett I think you're absolutely right. I'm glad I exchanged board.

Update on the overclocking. Using AC Odyssey benchmark.

3200 mhz DOHC/XMP profile with stock setting = 52 fps

3200 mhz fast preset |CPU stock setting = 55

3200 mhz fast preset | CPU 3.9ghz = 57

3400 mhz fast preset | CPU stock settings = 57

I think I'll hit 60 FPS if I overclocked to 3.9/4.0 with 3400 fast preset. Anyways tested some other games and I gain about 10-15 fps. So definitely worth overclocking.

Nice results, just be wary when you bump up your CPU clock. Weirdly enough now your RAM is clocked higher you may find your CPU needs more voltage to be stable at the same 3.9GHz, etc because it's working harder. You probably knew this but figured I should mention just incase :)

DaRookie 12-30-2018 02:00 AM

I actually didn't know. I'm new to AMD and this is my second time overclocking CPU's and first time overclocking memory/sub timing. Thank you for the notice.

ComansoRowlett 12-30-2018 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaRookie (Post 27781030)
I actually didn't know. I'm new to AMD and this is my second time overclocking CPU's and first time overclocking memory/sub timing. Thank you for the notice.

It happens with all platforms really, if you are ever feeling brave and want to clock higher than 3400MHz this piece of software is great for helping get every ounce of performance https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/ . You're likely to be limited by the memory controller more than anything, and will likely top out around 3400-3700MHz. If you've got Samsung B-die I can guarantee you can bump 1.5v into the DIMMs 24/7 and should be just fine, and will give a decent improvement for clockspeed/timings, any lower than CL14 isn't really do-able unless you're below 3200MHz due to IMC limitations I've found. SOC can go all the way to 1.2v, but usually there is a sweet spot voltage rather just increasing it. Most will have that sweet spot between 0.95-1.15v you'll have to experiment, but keep to 1.1v which most boards set automatically with XMP enabled if you can't be bothered.