Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   How many stuck pixels is acceptable? Asus pg279q (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1717250-how-many-stuck-pixels-acceptable-asus-pg279q.html)

guitarmageddon88 01-02-2019 04:43 PM

How many stuck pixels is acceptable? Asus pg279q

So, I have been through FOUR of these monitors from the local microcenter so far, praying Id get a good one. Ive tried to look at all of them in the store before I walk out of there and notice something at home. Its an awesome monitor, 1440p, IPS, 144hz.... but from what Im now seeing, asus really screwed the pooch on QC on these didnt they? I think Im just trying too hard to like it.

Ive had dozens of stuck pixels in each monitor. Very frustrating. In my mind, for what these cost, it should be ZERO pixel defects. What are your thoughts? Is this just my OCD? theyre absolutely barely detectable, but its the fact that I know theyre there it just drives me a up a wall. I had initially bought an HP omen off amazon which is TN, but for the price was a great monitor. Having noticed dead pixels on that one, I arranged for a return. I decided to go the local route from microcenter, just in case that one had dead pixels I could return/test replacements easier.

What are my other g-sync/1440p/144hz options? ASUS has the pg278 I believe, which is TN, but I have little confidence now. Thoughts?

deepor 01-02-2019 05:12 PM

Even a single pixel not working right is too annoying for me. When I notice it because it's in the area where I'm currently reading text or whatever, I will stop for a moment and look at that pixel and get irritated. That's my experience with modest problems like a slightly darker pixel somewhere on a screen. If I had to pay for the monitor myself and it's not a monitor at work or something, then I wouldn't keep it. It would drive me crazy.

guitarmageddon88 01-02-2019 05:14 PM

Yes I'm a perfectionist ....blessing and a curse. I NEVER had an issue with my old Alienware IPS from 2012. And I abused the crap out of that thing. I'm just debating going for their ultra wide now, which means more money.

But then that's going from 100-144fps at 1440p to whatever I'll go down to, with my rtx2080.

bmgjet 01-02-2019 05:18 PM

I wouldnt be happy with any stuck pixels unless it was a cheap chinese or korean screen.
I dont really upgrade screens often tho.

AOC D2757PH had no stuck pixels.
Then went to a Korean QX2710LED (overclocked to 120hz) had 3 stuck pixels on the outer edges of screen as well as back light bleeding along bottom. But for $280 you cant complain.
Then got my current PG27UQ which I spend hours looking for stuck pixels on and giving it a good run down and cant find a single fault which is what you expect for $1999

white owl 01-02-2019 05:20 PM

0 is the only answer I can think of.
I wouldn't expect to have any dead pixels at any price range.
My 144hz 1440p panel was around $330 and has none of the typical issues. Nixeus ftw.

The Pook 01-02-2019 05:22 PM

Depends on the resolution and location of the dead pixels. My TV (LG C8P) has a few but they're near the corners and being a 4K panel that you sit far away from it's hardly noticeable (and I got more than a 50% discount on it).

My current monitor has 0, and if it had 1 I would have RMA'd since it was new.

ToTheSun! 01-03-2019 01:08 AM

You probably picked the worst of the bunch, though it's not guaranteed that the other 1440p144 AHVA monitors will have 0 dead or stuck pixels. My Viewsonic, which is better technically, came with 0 dead/stuck pixels, but YMMV.

ENTERPRISE 01-03-2019 02:12 AM

I do not accept any, I cannot live with Dead or Stuck pixels. A, because I know they are there and my OCD is drawn to them and B, When you are paying for a new product I do not accept faults. I had to return my Ultrawide Acer 1440P 120Hz monitor when I first got it as it had a dead pixel and when you are paying around £800 it should be perfect. Luckily my second one was fine.

Leopardi 01-03-2019 02:39 AM

With monitors it's easy, zero is acceptable. You sit so close to it that you will notice them.

With a TV on the other hand, having that one stuck pixel in a corner for a 4K panel few meters away isn't noticeable in practice at all.

scaramonga 01-03-2019 03:21 AM

I have 1 dead pixel (very small) about 1 inch from top, and 5 inches from right, it was the wife that noticed it, else I would never have known, but now I do.

On the plus side, I have no bleed whatsoever, which is rare for this monitor, so, my way of thinking is:

If I return, then I'll most likely end up worse, lots of bleeding, possibly other problems, regardless of any pixel errors?

Irritating, but it is what it is. It's not that noticeable really, whereas, I could get something really noticeable.

One thing that is annoying me though, and I really don't know if it's monitor related?, and it just happened as I was typing this just now. Screen will very briefly flicker, at random intervals?, doesn't seem to be any timing to it, there it just done it again.

Driver/GSync/Cable problem? Can be just sitting there doing nothing, and a very brief flicker happens. Can't figure out if it is monitor or what?