Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [HardOCP] Valve's Artifact Ended 2018 outside Steam's Top 100 Most-Played Games (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1717564-hardocp-valves-artifact-ended-2018-outside-steams-top-100-most-played-games.html)

tpi2007 01-06-2019 11:11 AM

[HardOCP] Valve's Artifact Ended 2018 outside Steam's Top 100 Most-Played Games

Quote:

Judging by the digital collectible card game’s performance over the last month, Artifact may never recover unless Valve makes drastic changes to the title. Strong debut in November aside, Artifact has lost so many players that it can’t even break the top 100 rank, which is unusual for a product from a highly regarded developer. "Valve’s decision to try and monetize a $19.99 card game and ignore the demand to create sequels to their best-selling franchises Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, and Portal isn’t paying off for the popular publisher." The title is currently ranked at 104 with 3,395 players.

Quote:

Dota 2 and CS:GO have stayed at the top of Steam for years, but in just the past month, Artifact‘s player base has declined by so much that at times it ranks just outside of Steam’s top 100 most played games with only a few thousand concurrent players. Now, with the rise of Fortnite on the Epic Games Store and more triple-A developers pulling their games from Steam, Valve is in need of new games that can help Steam stay on top as the premier platform for PC gaming... unfortunately, based on the numbers, Artifact doesn’t look like it’s going to be it.

Source.

Not surprised. The tides have turned. What will Valve do? Now they also have two flops, Ricochet and this. They can't do more flops, it's the law. It would be quite something if they just said "We're staying true to our mantra, we'll keep doing what we want, and right now we want to go on an extended vacation and shut down Valve and Steam, so as promised here are the DRM deactivation codes everybody, enjoy and have a good one."

white owl 01-06-2019 11:41 AM

Not sure what they were expecting. If you're into card games, Magic is already out there.
I just have a hard time picturing how the game even came to be. "Hey you know what would be cool? What if we made a card game, people get so hyped over card games!" They had the power to make an entirely new franchise but made it a card game? Plus they have the ability to poll their audience and see if the game is even a good concept, I'm surprised it was ever on the top 100 because I could probably name 100 games I'd rather play.
We play video games because they are immersive and you can explore worlds and such, if you use that to play a card game I have a hard time seeing it as immersive or even more desirable than an actual card game like Magic.

Crouch 01-06-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white owl (Post 27791348)
Not sure what they were expecting. If you're into card games, Magic is already out there.
I just have a hard time picturing how the game even came to be. "Hey you know what would be cool? What if we made a card game, people get so hyped over card games!" They had the power to make an entirely new franchise but made it a card game? Plus they have the ability to poll their audience and see if the game is even a good concept, I'm surprised it was ever on the top 100 because I could probably name 100 games I'd rather play.
We play video games because they are immersive and you can explore worlds and such, if you use that to play a card game I have a hard time seeing it as immersive or even more desirable than an actual card game like Magic.

Couldn't agree more!

frong 01-06-2019 01:57 PM

As people expected when they first showed it.

ZealotKi11er 01-06-2019 02:30 PM

Wait a second. You have to pay for it? What was Valve expecting lol.

Mand12 01-08-2019 07:40 AM

Called it as a Gwent-like flash in the pan. Complicated for the sake of being complicated, to differentiate from the "children's card game" Hearthstone. Only forgetting that people have to learn to play the game if they're going to spend a lot of money on it. P2P entry fee was just extra clueless.

corky dorkelson 01-08-2019 08:20 AM

Valve makes games?

Styrlitz 01-08-2019 07:24 PM

I am glad i didn't buy it. That's what you get, when you create a game, where you:
1) pay for the game
2) pay for the packs
3) pay for the cards
4) pay for ability to play some gamemodes
5) have no point of playing, because there are no rank systems and you recieve nothing for winning. Play2Play (pay2pay)

P.S. And yes, i know about rank system they added after month of release date when there was like 7k peak of people playing the game.
P.P.S. Sorry for bad english

XenoRad 01-09-2019 08:08 AM

Maybe Valve will add insult to injury and announce Artifact 2 as their next game.

Anyway, it seems they are completely incapable of doing anything worthwhile with Half-Life anymore.

No worries, life goes on, we don't need Half-Life this day and age.

But if you ask me - having one of the most beloved game franchises, having loyal customers for years on end, being constantly requested to do some more - only to turn around and no thing? Saying it's a great pity would be a huge understatement.

Mand12 01-09-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenoRad (Post 27796394)
Maybe Valve will add insult to injury and announce Artifact 2 as their next game.

Nah, it'll be Artifact 3.