Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Nvidia Will Support Adaptive Sync (Freesync)! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1717610-nvidia-will-support-adaptive-sync-freesync.html)

gypsygib 01-06-2019 09:23 PM

Nvidia Will Support Adaptive Sync (Freesync)!

1 Attachment(s)
Just watching the CES 2019 stream, seems like official free-sync support is coming for some existing monitors, and likely more future monitors.

Today was a good day.

Leopardi 01-06-2019 09:52 PM

This should also give manufacturers some motivation to properly implement that freesync as well. Win-win.

ChiTownButcher 01-06-2019 10:25 PM

I will believe it when I see it but if it's real it's about time. This stupid VHS/BETA with monitors is stupid.

MistaSparkul 01-06-2019 11:19 PM

Over 400 monitors tested but only 12 passed dang. Well regardless it's a step in the right direction for sure, we've all been asking for this for years.

elgreco14 01-06-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistaSparkul (Post 27792190)
Over 400 monitors tested but only 12 passed dang. Well regardless it's a step in the right direction for sure, we've all been asking for this for years.

There will be an option to turn it on every monitor.

CallsignVega 01-07-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgreco14 (Post 27792216)
There will be an option to turn it on every monitor.

Ya that is the key sentence from Jensen. You will be able to flip the switch in the drivers for any VRR monitor. HUGE news. I'd imagine NVIDIA support for HDMI 2.1 VRR on their next GPU is virtually guaranteed.

ToTheSun! 01-07-2019 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistaSparkul (Post 27792190)

Probably only those 12 were good enough for nVidia to support without further individual tuning. I suppose it dovetails with the notion that most Freesync monitors were never properly designed for VRR in the first place.

In any case, it's more than a step in the right direction; it's a step toward LG and JOLED VRR with nVidia cards. I can't see BFGD's getting a lot of traction if they're competing directly with superior panels found in TV's.

FastEddieNYC 01-07-2019 12:46 AM

This is very welcome news and also a smart business move. The price difference for G-Sync for the average gamer was steep so buying an AMD card and cheaper freesync monitor made sense for many. With this announcement Nvidia can entice those gamers.

Pirx 01-07-2019 06:00 AM

this will be a day long remembered. it has seen the end of being tied to a manufacturer, and will soon see the end of the g-sync chip.

or the expensive chip will be kept for a range of high-end monitors so customers have a larger guaranteed sync range (or whatever they can use to make a premium option out of it)

before g-sync, buying a monitor was rather simple. maybe g-sync is the better solution from a technical standpoint (i don't know), but this artificial split into g-sync vs freesync monitors has bothered me since its inception. i never noticed the tearing g-sync was supposed to eliminate, and stuck with g-sync because of the blur reduction (ulmb) tied to it. which is no longer necessary now as many monitors come with their built-in blur reduction tech (dyac, elmb, whatever it's called). but they still cost significantly more than their freesync counterparts due to the g-sync chip.

now, nvidia isn't giving up its g-sync ecosystem for nothing. perhaps they will lose it anyway when intel supports freesync with their integrated graphics. or they think that customers will have even less reasons to buy an amd card if their cards work with cheaper monitors. so, they give up sales of g-sync chips for more card sales. recent share price losses might be a reason for them to act before it gets worse.

Leopardi 01-07-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27792264)
Probably only those 12 were good enough for nVidia to support without further individual tuning. I suppose it dovetails with the notion that most Freesync monitors were never properly designed for VRR in the first place.

In any case, it's more than a step in the right direction; it's a step toward LG and JOLED VRR with nVidia cards. I can't see BFGD's getting a lot of traction if they're competing directly with superior panels found in TV's.

Freesync monitors are also refresh rate locked for AMD cards, so that must be a reason also why so many fail. 75Hz freesync monitors work at 60Hz for nvidia, 144Hz freesync monitors work at 100Hz for nvidia etc.