Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Nvidia Will Support Adaptive Sync (Freesync)! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1717610-nvidia-will-support-adaptive-sync-freesync.html)

The Pook 01-07-2019 08:41 AM

inb4 only for RTX cards?

didn't watch the stream, so if they said it works on GTX then nevermind me :)

Leopardi 01-07-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27792896)
inb4 only for RTX cards?

didn't watch the stream, so if they said it works on GTX then nevermind me :)

GTX10 and RTX cards

Dejam87 01-07-2019 09:25 AM

pretty nice I must say . BUT will it work for the korean monitors that have the same panel ? ( e.g asus mg278q and crossover 144 fast )

TK421 01-07-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopardi (Post 27792856)
Freesync monitors are also refresh rate locked for AMD cards, so that must be a reason also why so many fail. 75Hz freesync monitors work at 60Hz for nvidia, 144Hz freesync monitors work at 100Hz for nvidia etc.

are you 100% sure about this?

because I'm going to get a new monitor and it has freesync and not g-sync, if the refresh rate is less with nvidia then I wouldn't be buying it

ToTheSun! 01-07-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopardi (Post 27792856)
Freesync monitors are also refresh rate locked for AMD cards, so that must be a reason also why so many fail. 75Hz freesync monitors work at 60Hz for nvidia, 144Hz freesync monitors work at 100Hz for nvidia etc.

Almost makes Jensen look like the saint here.

Leopardi 01-07-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK421 (Post 27793054)
are you 100% sure about this?

because I'm going to get a new monitor and it has freesync and not g-sync, if the refresh rate is less with nvidia then I wouldn't be buying it

Yes. Almost always 75Hz units will skip frames on nvidia, unless you back down to 60Hz.

Sweclockers review on the BenQ EX3203R confirms that 100Hz is the maximum that nvidia cards support without skipping frames, while AMD does 144hz smoothly. So be sure to do frameskipping tests before deciding to keep any freesync monitor.

HiCZoK 01-07-2019 12:33 PM

Very nice. Just ordered 4k60 ips from lg with freesync. only 48-60 but still welcome

Tal Shiar 01-07-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirx (Post 27792618)
i never noticed the tearing g-sync was supposed to eliminate, and stuck with g-sync because of the blur reduction (ulmb) tied to it. which is no longer necessary now as many monitors come with their built-in blur reduction tech (dyac, elmb, whatever it's called).

If you have never noticed tearing that means you play with Vsync turned on as it is pretty much impossible to miss during fast paced movement. Gsync eliminates tearing for people who experience the issue when playing with Vsync turned OFF or it eliminates stutter (massive sudden drop in frame rate) for people who experience the issue when playing with Vsync turned ON. Therefore Gysnc provides two major benefits but people will only experience one of those benefits depending on what type of player they are.

Tal Shiar 01-07-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopardi (Post 27793088)
Yes. Almost always 75Hz units will skip frames on nvidia, unless you back down to 60Hz.

Sweclockers review on the BenQ EX3203R confirms that 100Hz is the maximum that nvidia cards support without skipping frames, while AMD does 144hz smoothly. So be sure to do frameskipping tests before deciding to keep any freesync monitor.

There are exceptions. I am pretty sure Acer's 38" freesync ultrawide does not frame skip @75Hz with an Nvidia card, several owners have confirmed that. However LG's version of the same 38" panel does frame skip.

I think the main reason many monitors are failing is because Nvidia will require the max refresh to be at least 2.5x of min refresh. That will eliminate hundreds of 48-60 range monitors without any need for real testing. What I am mostly curious about is what will happen when we force VRR from the Nvidia Control Panel on displays with 48-60Hz range ? I guess we'll find out in a few weeks time...

JackCY 01-07-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27792264)
Probably only those 12 were good enough for nVidia to support without further individual tuning. I suppose it dovetails with the notion that most Freesync monitors were never properly designed for VRR in the first place.

In any case, it's more than a step in the right direction; it's a step toward LG and JOLED VRR with nVidia cards. I can't see BFGD's getting a lot of traction if they're competing directly with superior panels found in TV's.

Monitor makers buy the modules from other companies, Realtek etc. who actually make the input and processing boards etc. Company such as say Acer/AOC/... buys panels from AUO/LG/Samsung/... the boards either bundled with the panel or from Realtek/... maybe they make the plastic mold and stand or have someone else make it and assembly it all while slapping Acer/AOC/... logo on it.

BFGDs are stuck with AUO making the panels and Nvidia actually making a Gsync module capable to drive that resolution and refresh rate which so far they still can't, they can do 2160p 98Hz or so, that's it :/ Where as these BFGDs are supposed to be 2160p144? And that also means full HDMI2.1 or DP1.4 support, neither of which is on Nvidia products yet is it.

Overall I think BFGDs are DOA if they ever arrive at all.

Drivers and firmware are the main culprit for most VRR issues on any kind of adaptive sync. The hardware design should be fine.
The question remains how keen will Nvidia get to try and make fine adjustments to make all adaptive sync monitors work well if there is any adjustment needed. Technically and theoretically there should not be and everything should "just work" but as we all know the reality and practice is often different when things tend to be backwards compatible and forced to make trade offs even on new technology.

They will rather lose the tiny bit of control over monitors to gain GPU sales and now people will be more willing to buy Nvidia GPUs when adaptive sync support on them won't hopefully be locked anymore. Amount of Gsync monitors on market is small and limited anyway and people are complaining about that for years too. Now everyone should be able to choose any VRR monitor but if it will "just work" with GeForce still remains to be experienced.

Only some monitors have adaptive sync defined as 75Hz or 144Hz while their non adaptive sync table is defined as 60Hz or 100Hz. There are monitors on market right now that do work with ANY GPU at the max refresh rate. And even if you have to OC it will not skip frames if the adaptive sync mode can go that high as you're trying to OC and it lets you OC and won't black screen you with out of range message. Frame skipping occurs when the processor can't handle so much data but since it's made to run that fast in adaptive sync mode it should have no probably to run the same with adaptive sync disabled, unless of course it automatically downclocks itself to save power or other efficiency shenanigans that lower it's bandwidth capabilities.

144Hz Freesync certified works 144Hz on Nvidia GPU with no adaptive sync.
75Hz Freesync certified (well 76Hz if you look at the table in a tool that can see it) works 75Hz on Nvidia GPU with no adaptive sync.
Depends on the monitor, it's EDID etc. You would probably have to buy something old that runs higher rate in adaptive sync mode and lacks the EDID definition for as high refresh rate in non adaptive sync mode.