Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel - General (https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/)
-   -   When overclocking I'm having to set voltage high but temps are still low... (https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/1718146-when-overclocking-im-having-set-voltage-high-but-temps-still-low.html)

phalkore 01-12-2019 04:26 PM

When overclocking I'm having to set voltage high but temps are still low...

First time posting so I hope I'm doing this right...

So I'm new to overclocking and just playing around with a few basic settings at the moment (basically multiplier and vcore).
So my issue is, lets say I set my Vcore at 1.35v and my clock at 5ghz then run either Prime95 or Aida64 my temps stay below 70c but I BSOD. Then I up the Vcore to 1.375 and keep the 5ghz. When I stress again it goes longer and my temps hover around 70c to 73c and again BSOD.
So what I'm confused about is I was under the impression that more Vcore means higher temps and from everything I've seen high temps are always the problem before voltage.
So because my temps are so low I thought I would have some more OC headroom, but voltage is definitely winning the race.
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance, any info is appreciated!!

My build just in case:
Aorus Z390 Ultra
Noctura D-15
Corsair DDR4 3200
MSI 1070ti gaming
EVGA 750 psu

bmgjet 01-12-2019 04:43 PM

Iv always stopped because of voltage before temps. But I run custom loop.

ThrashZone 01-12-2019 05:07 PM

Hi,
If you're BSOD'ing what's the difference you're not stable might be able to use 1.3v :)
Probably avx offset needs some if you didn't disable avx in prime95
Using avx offset drops the clock from 5.0 to which ever offset is used to maybe stabilize with a clock drop 1-2-3-..

shilka 01-13-2019 12:08 AM

Please name the model of your EVGA PSU and not just the brand and wattage

jfriend00 01-14-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phalkore (Post 27803454)
First time posting so I hope I'm doing this right...

So I'm new to overclocking and just playing around with a few basic settings at the moment (basically multiplier and vcore).
So my issue is, lets say I set my Vcore at 1.35v and my clock at 5ghz then run either Prime95 or Aida64 my temps stay below 70c but I BSOD. Then I up the Vcore to 1.375 and keep the 5ghz. When I stress again it goes longer and my temps hover around 70c to 73c and again BSOD.
So what I'm confused about is I was under the impression that more Vcore means higher temps and from everything I've seen high temps are always the problem before voltage.
So because my temps are so low I thought I would have some more OC headroom, but voltage is definitely winning the race.
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance, any info is appreciated!!

My build just in case:
Aorus Z390 Ultra
Noctura D-15
Corsair DDR4 3200
MSI 1070ti gaming
EVGA 750 psu

There's more to overclocking than just CPU voltage. Perhaps your LLC is allowing too much vdroop so while you set a certain voltage, under load you're not actually getting that much to the CPU. You can watch the VR Vout voltage in HWiNFO64 to see what voltage is actually going to your CPU. Perhaps VCCSA or VCCIO are set too low. Perhaps it's the cache that's having problems (you don't say what the cache speed is set to).

Aida64 isn't a very tough stress test so I wouldn't expect particular high temps with that. Many settings with Prime95 will make a very tough stress test (I run Prime95/blend).

You haven't found stability yet so your temps don't yet really mean much. You either have a chip that won't do 5GHz or you probably need more voltage somewhere.