Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Home Audio (https://www.overclock.net/forum/352-home-audio/)
-   -   7.1.4 surround from PC (https://www.overclock.net/forum/352-home-audio/1718508-7-1-4-surround-pc.html)

Wildcard124 01-17-2019 08:50 AM

7.1.4 surround from PC

Hi,

Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a 7.1.4 ATMOS speaker system from a PC using a AV Receiver?

From what I am reading soundcards don't havd connectors to so this, therefor 5.1.4 would be the best you could get from the soundcard?

The other option would be a HDMI cable from the GFX card. However I am running a tripple screen setup at 144mhz. So adding a HDMI would require a 4th screen but then would reduce my screens to 60hz.

Many thanks for any help.

Gandlaf 01-17-2019 08:58 AM

I'd opt for optical to an external DAC or AV Receiver. Its the easiest way with the least amount of hassle

Tiihokatti 01-17-2019 09:12 AM

https://blog.dolby.com/upgrade-home-...m-dolby-atmos/

Dolby Atmos basic requirement is the usage of HDMI receiver (with Atmos support). Any other kind of setup is simply impossible.

And optical is of course utterly out of the picture when we are talking about Atmos.

Wildcard124 01-17-2019 09:23 AM

Thanks for the replys.

Are there any soundcards out there with HDMI.

Or is there a way to have the GFX card send an audio only signal without messing up my screen setup.

Tiihokatti 01-17-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard124 (Post 27810996)
Thanks for the replys.

Or is there a way to have the GFX card send an audio only signal without messing up my screen setup.

The only HDMI soundcard I know is the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 from 10 years ago. So that's obviously not an option.

So your only option would be to wiggle around with the Windows monitor settings to see if it's possible to make things work. Most likely it's going to be a huge PITA.

Doubletap1911 03-11-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard124 (Post 27810996)
Thanks for the replys.

Windows does not support audio only HDMI. The receiver requires a video signal of some sort. It would be technically possible to just send it a black screen, but that possibility has not been manifest into a feature.

You either need to make a second screen or mirror your main screen. Both have minor drawbacks, but a lot of us just put up with it because HDMI surround sound is the way to go.

I think the main issue will be content. I think a couple games using the Frostbite engine may support Atmos, but I don't know what else does.

jamesch 03-21-2019 08:43 PM

For movies, you are better off getting a streaming box like Nvidia Shield TV. For gaming, well you can already play surround gaming through HDMI to a receiver.

Blameless 03-21-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard124 (Post 27810932)
The other option would be a HDMI cable from the GFX card. However I am running a tripple screen setup at 144mhz. So adding a HDMI would require a 4th screen but then would reduce my screens to 60hz.

Add a second graphics card.

Doesn't have to be any good, all it needs to do is register the receiver so you can use it's HDMI audio.

Some twenty buck passive card should suffice. On-board video could work as well, if you have it and it's not automatically disabled on your setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubletap1911 (Post 27887574)
Windows does not support audio only HDMI. The receiver requires a video signal of some sort. It would be technically possible to just send it a black screen, but that possibility has not been manifest into a feature.

HDMI splitter (which the receiver may well be) and, if necessary, a dummy connector.

Doubletap1911 03-31-2019 03:25 PM

You can run 3 gaming monitors and a 4th accessory monitor for HDMI audio on a single card. As long as you're not running Youtube or something on the accessory display when you're gaming, it won't force your 144Hz screens to 60Hz

I ran 3x Dell S2417DG 144Hz 1440P gaming monitors and a 1080P BenQ off a single GTX1080Ti. It worked great.

sok0 06-05-2019 08:07 AM

Buying a Nvidia Shield for my home theater was one of my best purchases. Just load your PC folder on the network, and the shield can stream anything off of it to the receiver. Dont have to worry about HDR swapping or anything, it just does it automatically.