Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1718600-phoronix-quake-2-now-has-real-time-path-tracing-vulkan.html)

Jarhead 01-18-2019 09:51 AM

[Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan

Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan
Quote:

Q2VKPT is the first playable game that is entirely raytraced and efficiently simulates fully dynamic lighting in real-time, with the same modern techniques as used in the movie industry (see Disney's practical guide to path tracing). The recent release of GPUs with raytracing capabilities has opened up entirely new possibilities for the future of game graphics, yet making good use of raytracing is non-trivial. While some games have started to explore improvements in shadow and reflection rendering, Q2VKPT is the first project to implement an efficient unified solution for all types of light transport: direct, scattered, and reflected light (see media). This kind of unification has led to a dramatic increase in both flexibility and productivity in the movie industry. The chance to have the same development in games promises a similar increase in visual fidelity and realism for game graphics in the coming years.

Just an FYI to NVIDIA, /\THIS/\ is how you sell RTX. Not a brand new game that already brings a lot of systems to their knees, but old games where you can breathe entirely new life into it without massive performance penalties like having to drop from 4K to 1080p when you turn RTX on. I just watched a vid from UFD Tech(?) where they were running Battlefield 5 and half the time they couldn't tell if it was even on. It's EASY to see the difference on a game from this vintage.

How many games out there have an SDK where this could be implemented? I know there are literally dozens of Unreal engine games like Deus Ex that have one. How about Half Life? And NVIDIA would not have had to coordinate with any current developers, they could just hire the team and do it and then get 1,000,000 Brownie Buttons when the community got to mess around with path traced Deus Ex. How much would the coding team cost to do this for the RTX launch? I could just hear the tag line, "We didn't remaster anything, we just updated the renderer and take a look! This is what's possible. This is what we''re baking into the new games right from the start." Apply the future to the past deliberately so that the contrast between the two could not be more pronounced.

Oh, and this also makes my point about SDKs - it should be illegal to ship a game without an SDK so that the community can keep the game running in perpetuity. It should also be mandatory that the source code be uploaded in it's entirety ten years from the latest patch or upon bankruptcy of the company. In fact I would apply this to all software, not just games.

kevinf 01-18-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarhead (Post 27812932)
Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrq1T93uLag

Just an FYI to NVIDIA, /\THIS/\ is how you sell RTX. Not a brand new game that already brings a lot of systems to their knees, but old games where you can breathe entirely new life into it without massive performance penalties like having to drop from 4K to 1080p when you turn RTX on. I just watched a vid from UFD Tech(?) where they were running Battlefield 5 and half the time they couldn't tell if it was even on. It's EASY to see the difference on a game from this vintage.

How many games out there have an SDK where this could be implemented? I know there are literally dozens of Unreal engine games like Deus Ex that have one. How about Half Life? And NVIDIA would not have had to coordinate with any current developers, they could just hire the team and do it and then get 1,000,000 Brownie Buttons when the community got to mess around with path traced Deus Ex. How much would the coding team cost to do this for the RTX launch? I could just hear the tag line, "We didn't remaster anything, we just updated the renderer and take a look! This is what's possible. This is what we''re baking into the new games right from the start." Apply the future to the past deliberately so that the contrast between the two could not be more pronounced.

Oh, and this also makes my point about SDKs - it should be illegal to ship a game without an SDK so that the community can keep the game running in perpetuity. It should also be mandatory that the source code be uploaded in it's entirety ten years from the latest patch or upon bankruptcy of the company. In fact I would apply this to all software, not just games.

:claps: these are very good ideas. Legal and corporate mentality get in the way of good progress... shame :(

ToTheSun! 01-18-2019 12:19 PM

It's amazing how much more realistic an old, crappily textured game can look with ray/path tracing. We've known this for a while, but it's still fun to watch the technology slowly becoming a reality in the near future for gamers.

Vulkan wins again! inb4 pathtraced Doom 2019

Jarhead 01-18-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinf (Post 27813174)
:claps: these are very good ideas. Legal and corporate mentality get in the way of good progress... shame :(

What can I say, Right to Repair should include software.

Toology 01-18-2019 01:45 PM

I need this !!

Asmodian 01-18-2019 05:31 PM

It works with the Steam edition of Q2. The juxtaposition of the lighting and textures is great.

pLuhhmm 01-19-2019 12:33 AM

sick. idk what im looking at tho lmao

anejchy 01-19-2019 04:08 AM

This will be insane for horror games! The realistic darkness makes an enormous impact in my opinion.

ToTheSun! 01-19-2019 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anejchy (Post 27814142)
This will be insane for horror games! The realistic darkness makes an enormous impact in my opinion.

It makes sense. A well made horror game will play a lot with illumination and the contrast between light and dark.

Someone needs to port FEAR to Vulkan and do this.

white owl 01-19-2019 05:18 AM

This game needing a 2080+ makes me wonder if Nvidia is going about this correctly. A 2080TI for this? I bet the GPU core is barely being used right? This is all on the RTX goodies?
Why do we need them built together as a single unit? Does it need to be done this way due to latency or could we have RTX accelerator cards?
I guess if mGPU still isn't totally viable in every game that's too much to hope for right?

Next game to be ray traced? Zelda: Ocarina of Time with a new texture pack...or Mario 64. Someone make this happen!