Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/)
-   -   Noctua DH15 and DH15S (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1718690-noctua-dh15-dh15s.html)

postem 01-19-2019 11:24 AM

Noctua DH15 and DH15S

Hi, im currently a user of H110i GT, im pretty happy with it, however, since its summer here, im starting baseline with 32C on coolant. Current room temps are around 30C.
I was always a little worried about liquid cooling due to possible issues it could cause, however until now, no issues.

Since summer hot, i constantly hit 40C on coolant what lead me to wonder if i can go back to a pretty decent air cooler like noctua DH15 or DH15S.
Specs are:
8700K Dellided 5ghz 1.34v, 2080ti zotac amp, Asus hero X z370.

Max temperatures i seen, even on summer on this setup are 71C on CPU, considering noctua coolers i have 3 questions:

1) Can i have the same level of cooling using noctua as h110? Consider that i usually keep rad fans around 1200rpm now.
2) There is any bending risks due to the extreme weight of this cooler? Im already with an 2080 ti that weights 1100kg. The case i use is the regular vertical mount, thermaltake v41 (clearance allows all noctuas)
3) Someone had any experience with 9900K on noctua, can it keep reasonable temps on a 9900K around 4.8 - 4.9 ghz?

thanks!

shilka 01-19-2019 12:20 PM

Cooling with a D15 is going to be the same or better than with a H110 but with far less noise
There are no risk with the weight of the cooler unless you mount it wrong

As for the D15S its the same cooler as the D15 but asymmetric to give better clearance over the top PCI-E slot and it only comes with a single fan compared to two on the normal D15

postem 01-19-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27814716)
Cooling with a D15 is going to be the same or better than with a H110 but with far less noise
There are no risk with the weight of the cooler unless you mount it wrong

As for the D15S its the same cooler as the D15 but asymmetric to give better clearance over the top PCI-E slot and it only comes with a single fan compared to two on the normal D15

Do you know if the extra fan makes much of a difference?

shilka 01-19-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by postem (Post 27814778)
Do you know if the extra fan makes much of a difference?

Think it was 2c or something like that when i researchd but that was a while ago so i could remember wrong
I have the D15S and i bought an extra NF-A15 for it and i never noticed much of a difference

postem 01-19-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilka (Post 27814782)
Think it was 2c or something like that when i researchd but that was a while ago so i could remember wrong
I have the D15S and i bought an extra NF-A15 for it and i never noticed much of a difference

I will probably gonna get one, im blasting H110i fans 1800rpm to keep water temperature reasonable, if i can keep my cpu below 80c with Noctua it will be also less noisy.

shilka 01-19-2019 01:09 PM

Most CLC coolers are not known for being quiet with the stock fans

ciarlatano 01-20-2019 05:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just some food for thought here. Keep in mind that the H110i GT comes equipped with 2100 rpm (low quality and loud) fans, while the D15 comes with 1200/1500 rpm fans that are significantly quieter. It is important to look at all of the information, and keep the noise to temp in mind. So, essentially, the D15 will give similar or better performance at like noise levels.

@shilka - yes, right about a 2C difference between the stock D15 and D15s, or really any situation where like fans are used.

doyll 01-20-2019 07:07 AM

@postem
As has been said, top tier air coolers are easily as good as CLCs, but we need to setup case airflow so case is flowing air in sync with air cooling components' needs. This means lower airflow at idle and low load and case progressively flowing more are as componet load increases and their cooler fans' speed increases and use more air.

What case do you have? What is the case fan setup going to be with CPU being air cooled?

You might find the basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow in below link of interest.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

postem 01-20-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyll (Post 27815910)
@postem
As has been said, top tier air coolers are easily as good as CLCs, but we need to setup case airflow so case is flowing air in sync with air cooling components' needs. This means lower airflow at idle and low load and case progressively flowing more are as componet load increases and their cooler fans' speed increases and use more air.

What case do you have? What is the case fan setup going to be with CPU being air cooled?

You might find the basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow in below link of interest.

Hi doyll, thanks for your kind response.
My case is a thermaltake v41.
https://www.thermaltake.com/products...?id=C_00002499

The reason im prone to go back to Air cooling are the follows:
1) I never trusted that much AIOs (or water in general). I must give in that the AIO is keeping good temps for 2 years, it was just when i added an Axis style GPU that i crossed the "magical barrier" (at least for me) of 40c, and rising, of the coolant.
2) Due to current situation in my room, which is posed to change in 6 months, i cant manage to replace the case. The case lies behind, lined with my desk.
3) Even if sound levels are similar, and i dont think so at 1800RPM, AIO is mounted as top exaust, and fans are very near me. With fans inside the case, sound will be dampened.

Currently, 2 140 ML fans @ 60%, 1 120mm ML fan jury rigged as top intake, so 3 intake fans, and 1 rear 120mm jetflow fan @ 60%.
All fans with curves going up to 90%, except radiator fans, those make very bad noises when changing rotation, so usually i keep radiator fans around 1200-1300 RPM, and during the day, due to room temperature around 31-32c, i blast 1800-1900RPM to keep coolant below 40c.
PSU is with fan turned inside case, mostly due to very dusty enviroment.

GPU is always kept below 67c due to zotac fan profiles, but its okay in noise terms to me.

With Noctua DH15 or DH15s, i expect to keep temperatures under control without having to account for coolant temps, while keeping cpu fans at most the max of noctua.
With AIO, even with liquid > 42c, cpu never goes beyond 71c, its 5ghz 1.34v and dellided, there are 3c at most core temperature delta.

The case can support 3 120 or 140mm top fans or up to 2 200mm fans. What you think would be best for air channeling? closing the top or having fans on it? It really annoys me too that with the top grill, i have dust and other particles that often falls into the case.
I was never much of a fan of top grills as it exposes the case to every kind of contaminants than can fall.

postem 01-20-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyll (Post 27815910)
@postem

About top fans @doyll :

And if the top fan in actually used as intake? I found a very interesting statement from silverstone here:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/techt...tid=wh_airflow

Considering the top ventilation is directly near noctua intake it could be capable of pushing fresh air into the DH15 tunnel, while some pressure would keep gpu air down?

Btw, im not trying to reach absolutely maximum cool temperatures, if i can manage to keep my temps on cpu beyond 75c on heavy load its enough for me.