Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1719084-cnet-google-may-break-ad-blockers-upcoming-chrome-change.html)

Defoler 01-24-2019 12:13 PM

[CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

source

Quote:

Google's proposed approach would torpedo ad blocker uBlock Origin, tracker blocker Ghostery, privacy and password manager Privowny, JavaScript software blocker NoScript and a malware blocker from F-Secure, according to their developers.
"This would basically mean that Google is destroying ad blocking and privacy protection as we know it," the company said in a statement Wednesday. "Whether Google does this to protect their advertising business or simply to force its own rules on everyone else, it would be nothing less than another case of misuse of its market-dominating position. If this comes true, we will consider filing an antitrust complaint."
Some developers are only now noticing the part that could hurt ad blockers, called Manifest v3.
One part of that change, though, limits how extensions will be able to examine aspects of websites. The thorny limit affects how an extension can check if website elements originate from a list of hundreds of thousands of advertising sources. Google has proposed a limit of 30,000.
But Privowny's Daniel Glazman lamented the fizzling of an effort to turn Google's extensions technology into a web standard all browsers collectively develop and support.
Basically google plan to limit how much adblocking extensions can run / analyse a site's loading, in the name of protecting users (or advertisers). This could improve chrome performance in exchange of causing adblockers issues.
And since chrome tech is used in other browsers, making it the defacto tech, they expect over time other browsers will also do the same, and eventually, screw us all up.

LumberJakl 01-24-2019 12:38 PM

Well then, Firefox will be my only browser now

Imouto 01-24-2019 12:39 PM

* Furiously Laughs in Firefox, uBlock Origin and Pi-hole *

Darren9 01-24-2019 01:34 PM

Firefox with an adblocker is better than Chrome without one - Something we can all agree on I should think.

ToTheSun! 01-24-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren9 (Post 27823160)
Firefox with an adblocker is better than Chrome without one - Something we can all agree on I should think.

If it ever came to that (ublock origin issues on Chrome), I'd switch instantly.

drewafx 01-24-2019 01:38 PM

Best seller in 2019: Network wide hardware based ad, tracking, pop up blocker...
It's just bad business for consumers who get close to $0 quality content while paying $1 for attention to ad companies.
I'd say actual content comes from creators with non-ad revenue.

The Pook 01-24-2019 02:12 PM

us Opera users with the "Use Chrome Extensions" extension welcome you refugees :laughings

Quantium40 01-24-2019 02:33 PM

I will be surprised if they actually do this. I actually hope they do this.

Chrome has too much browser market share anyway. Too much and they can start to ignore webpage standards. Who could stop them?

I use Firefox as well as Chrome depending on the situation (some of my stuff works better on Chrome), but I will gladly cut Chrome out given a good enough reason.

Or I could fire up a Raspberry Pi...

Bluemustang 01-24-2019 02:38 PM

After switching to firefox I much prefer it over chrome anyway. Chromes memory management sucks next to firefox. I have hundreds of tabs open in firefox (as im always researching many things) and as they unload most from memory until i open them again.

Toology 01-24-2019 02:41 PM

Well it looks like it's time to switch browsers.