Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [Jewish Press]Report: Intel to Invest $11 Billion in Israeli Chip Plant (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1719334-jewish-press-report-intel-invest-11-billion-israeli-chip-plant.html)

Hwgeek 01-28-2019 08:26 AM

[Jewish Press]Report: Intel to Invest $11 Billion in Israeli Chip Plant

Quote:

Technology giant Intel, headquartered in Santa Clara, California, plans to invest $11 billion in setting up a new plant in Kiryat Gat, a city in southern Israel, some It lies 35 miles south of Tel Aviv, Globes reported on Monday. According to Globes, Intel is asking the state for a grant of 10% for its investment.

If the plan is realized, it would be the largest investment ever made by the giant chipmaker in Israel. Also, should the company receive its desired construction grant, it could reach $1.09 billion, also an all-time record.
This is in addition to other investment that was announced last May.
Quote:

Last May, Intel announced it would spend $5 billion over two years to upgrade its Fab 28 in Kiryat Gat, Israel, from 22nm to 10nm production technology.
https://www.jewishpress.com/news/bus...nt/2019/01/28/

Eusbwoa18 01-28-2019 08:43 AM

weird

I thought the general consensus here was that AMD has driven Intel out of business and that they are completely unable to do anything to compete. So this can't be real news right? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

ku4eto 01-28-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgdeaner (Post 27828080)
I thought the general consensus here was that AMD has driven Intel out of business and that they are completely unable to do anything to compete. So this can't be real news right? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

Thats a stupid comment, which brings nothing to discussion.

Why would Intel want to open a fabric in the middle of a warzone, in a potentially unstable state. Plus, it wont be really cheap to open it there and operate it....

My main guess is, so they can sell stuff directly to the Israel government and military and get access to certain stuff (no idea what stuff).

Hwgeek 01-28-2019 08:54 AM

Nope, Just AMD made them realize that Tick&Tock is over and they need to start developing real new products.

ku4eto: Intel has many Development sites in Israel - I am from Israel and it's not "unstable War Zone" lol, this is only what you see in news because this gives rating.

Also many good stuff Intel developed here and they know why to invest- Intel ain't stupid :-).
(you can look after the processors that came after P4 Prescott- they all have Jewish names for some reason, Yona/Dothan/Banias/Centrino(Core)).
You can think from the point of "Many different minds are working there in "
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ael/sites.html
Finally we gonna have good times in PC Hardware in coming Months/Years :-).

Wishmaker 01-28-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ku4eto (Post 27828088)

Why would Intel want to open a fabric in the middle of a warzone, in a potentially unstable state. Plus, it wont be really cheap to open it there and operate it....

My main guess is, so they can sell stuff directly to the Israel government and military and get access to certain stuff (no idea what stuff).

You must be truly new to INTEL business to ask why INTEL does this.
Some of the best INTEL chips have come from ...wait for it ... ISRAEL.
The facilities are underground and some of the smartest people in the world work there.

Eusbwoa18 01-28-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

I was joking around, I'm sorry you didn't find it funny.

I'd guess that Intel has some existing agreements with Israel as you are hinting at. I'd be more inclined to believe that the agreements are financial in nature rather that granting access to "stuff".

Wishmaker 01-28-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Intel in Qiryat Gat began operations in 1999, manufacturing processors using 0.18-micron technology. In 2008, Intel opened it's second Kiryat Gat plant, Fab 28.
Taken from INTEL's official website. It is www.intel.com and not www.amd.com.

EniGma1987 01-28-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Intel has had facilities in Israel for 45 years.

WannaBeOCer 01-28-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwgeek (Post 27828096)
Nope, Just AMD made them realize that Tick&Tock is over and they need to start developing real new products.

AMD still doesn't hold the performance crown and if/when they do it won't be significant. Intel already confirmed Ice Lake will be shipping this year using the Sunny Cove cores most likely for mainstream while servers are getting Cascade Lake which has Optane persistent memory support.

This was probably caused due to tariffs and this is probably one of their plans to get around them.

EniGma1987 01-28-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 27828110)
AMD still doesn't hold the performance crown and if/when they do it won't be significant. Intel already confirmed Ice Lake will be shipping this year using the Sunny Cove cores most likely for mainstream while servers are getting Cascade Lake which has Optane persistent memory support.

This was probably caused due to tariffs and this is probably one of their plans to get around them.

Once again:

Ice Lake on 10nm is NOT FOR DESKTOP this year. Intel is only releasing IceLake-U in 2019, which is mobile form factor only. Same as last gen 10nm chips. Intel still hasnt gotten 10nm node to where it needs to be for desktop and server processors.
I really wonder how many more times this has to be said before people understand it. The only announced processors are -U family and desktop uses -S family.