Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [metrothegame] Metro: Exodus to be an Epic Store exclusive (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1719358-metrothegame-metro-exodus-epic-store-exclusive.html)

Imouto 01-28-2019 04:22 PM

[metrothegame] Metro: Exodus to be an Epic Store exclusive

Quote:

Epic Games and Deep Silver today announced a partnership that will see the digitally-distributed PC version of the highly anticipated Metro Exodus release on February 15th 2019 solely through the Epic Games store.
Source

Looks like it is going to be a long year exclusive.

Diffident 01-28-2019 04:30 PM

That sucks, I guess no Linux version like the previous Metro games, or at least until it's back on steam.

Lhotse 01-28-2019 04:42 PM

I think this is a stupid move on Deep Silver's part in an effort to increase sales with a lower price point, yet increase profits by letting the app take the loss but at what cost to us? If I'm being honest, I would rather pay the full price and get an app that patches and maintains my library and does everything Steam already does perfectly for me. Some people love to complain, because they love to complain about anything but if I'm being honest, I...personally..have ZERO problems with Steam, Steam Sales or anything else related to Steam. I don't care about Gabe or what he says or does, I just want my game to launch correctly when I want to play it. End of.

ToTheSun! 01-28-2019 04:47 PM

That's... not ideal.

Omega X 01-28-2019 04:47 PM

They can keep it.

XAslanX 01-28-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhotse (Post 27828780)
I think this is a stupid move on Deep Silver's part in an effort to increase sales with a lower price point, yet increase profits by letting the app take the loss but at what cost to us? If I'm being honest, I would rather pay the full price and get an app that patches and maintains my library and does everything Steam already does perfectly for me. Some people love to complain, because they love to complain about anything but if I'm being honest, I...personally..have ZERO problems with Steam, Steam Sales or anything else related to Steam. I don't care about Gabe or what he says or does, I just want my game to launch correctly when I want to play it. End of.

This isn't about complaining, this is about competition for publishers. Steam currently offers a 70/30 split of profits, while Epic offers 88/12 so more publishers are moving to Epic for increased revenue. https://www.pcworld.com/article/3326...val-valve.html

umeng2002 01-28-2019 04:51 PM

Say what you will about Steam, but I can still download and play the original Metro 2033 PC version to this day. Do you really think other online stores won't just magically "upgrade" you to the Redux version, and Alex Jones the original?

Competition is good, but exclusively aligning it with one store isn't good for consumers. This is hardly an open market for consumers. It's a slightly wider market for game publishers, but not for consumers.

CelticGamer 01-28-2019 05:01 PM

Steam, a few months ago, before removing the game from it's library, gave out free copies of Metro 2033 to be downloaded. For around 24hrs IIRC. That was pretty decent of them. I have zero complaints regarding Steam, any issues I had they have always done me right.

From what I'm reading, Epic are trying to build themselves up to be a digital distribution platform competitor to Steam.

Could it be that, with the mountains of cash they have to blow, Epic is paying developers to make their titles exclusive to the Epic Store? That would be a good way to gain momentum. No sure about the legal aspects of that, I'm not a lawyer.

Gunderman456 01-28-2019 05:11 PM

Better yet, will it be available in a brick and mortar store, in a box with the full game on a disk that includes a manual, a map and some extra goodies?

D-S-J 01-28-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 27828834)
Better yet, will it be available in a brick and mortar store, in a box with the full game on a disk that includes a manual, a map and some extra goodies?

Definitely, if you want the console version.

I prefer hard copies of PC games whenever possible. Doesn't seem like there will be one for PC this time around.

Steam has it's issues. But it's the current poison of the few available I'll grudgingly accept. I hate all 3rd party game launchers out of principle, it's another form of DRM. One 3rd party game launcher is all I'll accept on my system, currently it's Steam due to it's large library. If I really want a game not available on Steam, I'll just get the console version.