Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/)
-   -   PC doesn't boot up with GPU: MB dead? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1719894-pc-doesnt-boot-up-gpu-mb-dead.html)

_LDC_ 02-05-2019 06:07 AM

PC doesn't boot up with GPU: MB dead?
 
My PC now boots up only with integrated graphic, I tried even a new graphic card without success (no matter which slot I put it in): if the GPU is installed and connected to the power supply, the PC won't boot up (the VGA alarm LED will turn on on the MB).

Should I assume that the MB is dead?


note: everything else works perfectly fine, it is just impossible to use any discrete GPU (in either of the two PCI-E slots)

any input is warmly welcome

ORL 02-05-2019 06:27 AM

Have you tried swapping the PSU out yet? This does not specifically point to the motherboard without testing that first. Its possible the PSU isn't applying proper power to the PCI-E systems or to the GPU itself and the motherboard is simply reacting to this.

pgdeaner 02-05-2019 06:33 AM

I had a bad 8 pin modular cable that caused this issues once. Doubt it's the mobo. Try a different 8 pin connector to feed power to the video card.

_LDC_ 02-05-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORL (Post 27839694)
Have you tried swapping the PSU out yet? This does not specifically point to the motherboard without testing that first. Its possible the PSU isn't applying proper power to the PCI-E systems or to the GPU itself and the motherboard is simply reacting to this.

I didn't consider this because everything else works... atm I have no ways of trying a new PSU without buying one :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgdeaner (Post 27839702)
I had a bad 8 pin modular cable that caused this issues once. Doubt it's the mobo. Try a different 8 pin connector to feed power to the video card.

I can test this, yes

thanks both of you!

pgdeaner 02-05-2019 01:24 PM

If you are able to post some pictures, that might help as well. Have you tried resetting your BIOS to factory defaults?

_LDC_ 02-06-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgdeaner (Post 27840142)
If you are able to post some pictures, that might help as well. Have you tried resetting your BIOS to factory defaults?

atm I disconnected al cables and will take it to a friend that has a similar PSU, so I can test that. Will get back to this thread once this is done ;)

_LDC_ 02-20-2019 01:05 PM

okay so here is the update as promised: the lab confirmed that the motherboard is deceased. RIP.

since I doubt that getting a compatible motherboard for a ten yo PC, installing it and whatnot would be a good investment, I already ordered a new PC and will be selling the old one, either "as is" or piece by piece.


Thanks all you who replied!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.