Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/)
-   -   MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Alternative? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1719966-msi-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-alternative.html)

Jarobata 02-06-2019 06:27 AM

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Alternative?
 
So I was all set on the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC but now it's out of stock everywhere. Is there a comparable motherboard or should I wait on the Gaming Pro Carbon AC? Is there some reason it's OOS or just a coincidence? This is for the following in-progress build:

Purchased Already:
SSD: Corsair MX-500
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580

Planned:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 16GB (2x8GB)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Case: Fractal Design Refine R6
Power Supply: Corsair RM650X (2018)

rdr09 02-06-2019 07:14 AM

Is this available?

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard


https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813144177


For the RAM and avoid any headache, this . . .


G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / B350 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX


https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...30&ignorebbr=1

Jarobata 02-06-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdr09 (Post 27841082)
Is this available?

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard


https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813144177


For the RAM and avoid any headache, this . . .


G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / B350 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX


https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...30&ignorebbr=1

Woah that's some really expensive RAM, if going with Ryzen requires that memory then it's not cheaper than Intel and I have deep regrets. Is the X470 that picky about RAM?

Is the B450 Tomahawk that much of a step down from the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon?

rdr09 02-06-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarobata (Post 27841102)
Woah that's some really expensive RAM, if going with Ryzen requires that memory then it's not cheaper than Intel and I have deep regrets. Is the X470 that picky about RAM?

Is the B450 Tomahawk that much of a step down from the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon?


That no longer holds true. If you go for an intel like the

9900K you'd want a fast RAM as well. Hell, even the cheaper 9700K you would want at least a 3200MHz speed.

Jarobata 02-06-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdr09 (Post 27841146)
That no longer holds true. If you go for an intel like the

9900K you'd want a fast RAM as well. Hell, even the cheaper 9700K you would want at least a 3200MHz speed.

My point isn't about speed, it's that you can get a nice set of 2X8GB 3000MHz ram for $100-$120, if you need to buy special ram that costs $200 to not have compatibility issues with Ryzen that's a big drawback.

Dogzilla07 02-06-2019 08:08 AM

Absolutely no need to get that expensive RAM, any issues where you actually would need that samsung b-die are gen 1 CPUs and x370/b350/a320. And with the newest and/or the best bios for a specific RAM you will probably see no problem even with the old stuff which again is irrelevant in your case anyway.

You're gonna be able to run that corsair RAM at 3000MHz and probably even at 3200MHz with just the RAM voltage at 1.36-1.39v.

Unless you actually need the integrated wireless it's not a stepdown, the b450 Tomahawk is the best next thing you can get after the carbon.

Ricwin 02-06-2019 08:09 AM

Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4 3000 is fine for a Ryzen and B450 board, dont wory about compatibility issues unless you buy a Gigabyte motherboard.

Jarobata 02-06-2019 08:10 AM

Thanks all, I'll go with the Tomahawk!

rdr09 02-06-2019 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarobata (Post 27841150)
My point isn't about speed, it's that you can get a nice set of 2X8GB 3000MHz ram for $100-$120, if you need to buy special ram that costs $200 to not have compatibility issues with Ryzen that's a big drawback.


Not so much the compatability issue. It's that Ryzen works quite well with fast ram. RAM that you can oc to 3466 at least and that FlareX will more likely will. But paired with a RX580, 3200 MHz speed if more than enuf. The speed is one, the tighter timing is the other that is why the FlareX is the bomb. Now, you can prolly find other cheap B-Die RAM.

Use this . . .

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/


EDIT: Yah, the Tomahawk will be fine, but if you'll shoot for the 7nm cpu, then might be better to go with the X470 board.


According to the B-Die Finder this one is B-die and a bit cheaper. Have not seen anyone with Ryzen use it, though.


https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Predat.../dp/B071G19NY3

I have these kits with similar speed . . . FlareX (CL14) and Ripjaws (CL16). Both set to DOCP 3200 on same motherboard.

Dogzilla07 02-06-2019 08:20 AM

The only other tangible differences are the lack of the additional 2nd M.2 slot which i don't think you'll mind :), and slightly worse onboard audio (Carbon has 1220, X470 Gaming Plus have Realtek 892).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdr09 (Post 27841172)

I have these kits with similar speed . . . FlareX (CL14) and Ripjaws (CL16). Both set to DOCP 3200 on same motherboard.

The biggest different in memory latency comes from changes and optimizations on the zen 2 compared to zen1 not from that tiny difference in the timings/latency. Those ripjaws at those timings with that 2700 instead would be like ~67.5-68ns and those ripjaws set to 16-16-16-36 would give be ~66-66.5ns. So that picture and setup is extremely misleading (we need to see those ripjaws on that 2700).

I mean sure the tighter additional timings other than the 4 primary ones on the FlareX will result in slightly better performance unless you go and put the ripjaws through ryzen calculator and manually tighten them, but the huge price increase does not justify the actual increase in performance and fps gain after you factor zen 2, and either tightening the stock 3000Mhz to 14-14-14-34 or running it at 3200Mhz @ 16-16-16-36. Nor do I believe the price is justified even if you leave the non-FlareX(samsung b-die) on stock docp values.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.