Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/)
-   -   Why reinstall Windows on Platform change? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1719976-why-reinstall-windows-platform-change.html)

Conditioned 02-06-2019 08:03 AM

Why reinstall Windows on Platform change?
 
So I just upgraded to a 9600k (yihaa!) after quite a few years on my trusty 4790k. I wanted to see everything work first and just booted into Windows. Of course the old maxim is that you should reinstall Windows every time you swap motherboards. I fail to see why though. I also, after about 36 hours, can't see any reason. There is no lag, no performance issues, no stutter or anything else I detect that's wrong.

Why should one reinstall?

Ps. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I felt it more appropriate here than in the Windows forums.

knightriot 02-06-2019 08:13 AM

because windows suck :D

speed_demon 02-06-2019 08:49 AM

39 Attachment(s)
It's best to reinstall with such a significant change though, really.

Windows is a tricky beast and it's only a few minutes of your time to do things the right way.

Also, long live the 4790k! Woo!

Conditioned 02-06-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightriot (Post 27841178)
because windows suck :D

Yea, but I like to game so. Otherwise, Ubuntu+infinality is so nice to use if you write a lot, which I do. Alas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 27841232)
It's best to reinstall with such a significant change though, really.

Windows is a tricky beast and it's only a few minutes of your time to do things the right way.

Also, long live the 4790k! Woo!

Long live 4790k! I will forever cherish our moments together! But a few minutes? When I reinstall it takes a day until my system is the way I like it. Sure, install ~20 minutes. Updates ~2-3 hours. Configuring, basic~2 hours, full a week or so :).

Unless you talk about the win 10, is it called refresh? I don't use windows 10 cause malware.

knightriot 02-07-2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conditioned (Post 27841270)
Yea, but I like to game so. Otherwise, Ubuntu+infinality is so nice to use if you write a lot, which I do. Alas.



Long live 4790k! I will forever cherish our moments together! But a few minutes? When I reinstall it takes a day until my system is the way I like it. Sure, install ~20 minutes. Updates ~2-3 hours. Configuring, basic~2 hours, full a week or so :).

Unless you talk about the win 10, is it called refresh? I don't use windows 10 cause malware.

May be drivers problems ,you can try use driver booster free to remove all of them like image(but care when setup, don't click to install ads):
https://uphinhnhanh.com/images/2019/...04cfd1d7ce.png
But i still suggest you reinstall fresh windows for best performance.

looniam 02-07-2019 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conditioned (Post 27841142)
So I just upgraded to a 9600k (yihaa!) after quite a few years on my trusty 4790k. I wanted to see everything work first and just booted into Windows. Of course the old maxim is that you should reinstall Windows every time you swap motherboards. I fail to see why though. I also, after about 36 hours, can't see any reason. There is no lag, no performance issues, no stutter or anything else I detect that's wrong.

Why should one reinstall?

Ps. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I felt it more appropriate here than in the Windows forums.

i don't know anymore. years ago i was adamant about clean installs every 6 months.

but about a year ago i had to trouble shoot my rig and swapping in a junk h61 made UEFI booting a no-go so a clean install of windows 7 in legacy mode i go.

after a few months of swapping out what spare components i had, psu, cpu, ram and gpu i swapped the mobo back and then after a week upgraded to W10. that was a good 8-9 months ago and haven't really felt the need to clean install in UEFI mode. my rig runs 24/7 so boot shutdown is not a concern for me.

i feel so dirty.

white owl 02-07-2019 03:18 AM

It only matters if Windows doesn't reconfigure it's self for the new platform like new chipset drivers, clearing the old ones from the reg, new USB configuration etc.


Every OS (especially Windows) is susceptible to malware. Only idiots install crap like that anyway, it's very difficult to just get malware without doing it yourself.

Conditioned 02-07-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looniam (Post 27842312)
i don't know anymore. years ago i was adamant about clean installs every 6 months.

but about a year ago i had to trouble shoot my rig and swapping in a junk h61 made UEFI booting a no-go so a clean install of windows 7 in legacy mode i go.

after a few months of swapping out what spare components i had, psu, cpu, ram and gpu i swapped the mobo back and then after a week upgraded to W10. that was a good 8-9 months ago and haven't really felt the need to clean install in UEFI mode. my rig runs 24/7 so boot shutdown is not a concern for me.

i feel so dirty.

Windows 8.1 and 10 are not prone to loose performance as Windows 7 was as the install ages. I'm running 8.1. Very underrated Os imho once you swap out the start menu.

My system is running as I want it to so all drives relevant to me work. I usually disable the chipset in Device manager and have for the last ~10 years. Everything it needs to run it runs from the bios. Haven't installed the ME/Inf drivers either, they are simply not needed.

Anyways, you seem to confirm my suspicions that it's not really need to reinstall. Thanks!

The Pook 02-07-2019 08:43 AM

4690K to 6400/6700 to 9900K on one install and was fine for me, ended up being a benchmark for HWBOT that "broke" my install and I decided to reinstall.

I'm getting random hangs (they're so infrequent it's hard to figure out what it's from) occasionally where I never used to so technically it's running worse :laughings

JedixJarf 02-07-2019 09:03 AM

Well back in the day it was driver and pch related, now though with win 10 it's much less of an issue.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.