Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Any Glossy 1440p or above IPS monitors? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1720316-any-glossy-1440p-above-ips-monitors.html)

junglechocolate 02-12-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27850848)
There are a few monitors around that are semi-glossy, but they're all pretty low end, AFAIK.

NO better than the Korean monitors?

ToTheSun! 02-13-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglechocolate (Post 27851126)
NO better than the Korean monitors?

Not to my knowledge, no. If you want something better, like 4K, you have to start looking at TV's.

There's the more recent 43" Philips monitors, which are semi-glossy, but they have problems of their own.

blodflekk 02-13-2019 02:25 AM

If you are in a pitch black room, like I am then a glossy screen is perfect. I have an old dinosaur HP2511x, its 1080p, 60Hz, TN. Everything that sounds terrible but it looks amazing, far better than it sounds and does a very good job for watching movies and playing games (with respect to color and image quality, not display frequency)

junglechocolate 02-13-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blodflekk (Post 27851400)
If you are in a pitch black room, like I am then a glossy screen is perfect. I have an old dinosaur HP2511x, its 1080p, 60Hz, TN. Everything that sounds terrible but it looks amazing, far better than it sounds and does a very good job for watching movies and playing games (with respect to color and image quality, not display frequency)

Yeah honestly, the glossy thing makes all the difference

deafboy 02-13-2019 10:38 AM

Ooh, keeping an eye on this.

My main panel is matte but I have a touch screen panel that is glossy and I love it for the colors.

junglechocolate 02-13-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27851330)
Not to my knowledge, no. If you want something better, like 4K, you have to start looking at TV's.

There's the more recent 43" Philips monitors, which are semi-glossy, but they have problems of their own.

I already have an OLED 55" which is semi glossy. It has much better accuracy but the color don't pop quite as well as my Korean. I'd take the OLED in a heartbeat because of the blacks but glossy really makes a ton of difference

I use my smaller 27" to 32" for RTS games. trying to play RTS on a 55" screen is ridiculous

mosmike 02-28-2019 08:43 AM

Can't you just peel off the matte film?

mosmike 02-28-2019 08:46 AM

matte-glossy

can't you just peel off the anti glare film that is laid over the polarizer?
- sorry for double post, not sure how to delete.

- I bought the monoprice mp35 monitor/ 100hz, 1440 ultrawide, va panel. When it arrived it had a matte coating. It was unbearable. I did some googling and ultimately laid damp paper towels over the entire screen, kept them damp for 4 hours (screen was face-up) and then I removed the towels and carefully peeled off the anti-glare film. Bam! Glossy screen!

I have no idea if it is this will be bad in the long run since I think the polarizer film that is now exposed could deteriorate? no idea. Also, if the matte film tears while you are removing it, it is very difficult to 'pick it back up' without marring the polarizer it re-applied itself to. Maybe using a little spray bottle with warm soapy water to moisten the under side of the matte film as you peel it back to prevent it from sticking should it tear.

I know you can buy glossy/clear screen protector film but I never bothered to find the right film and/or the right size. It's the same idea as a glossy ipad screen protector I believe.

Anyway, just my experience.

https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-...m-lcd.1674033/

CallsignVega 02-28-2019 11:30 AM

I removed the AR film on my Asus PG278QR and it looks AMAZING.

JackCY 03-06-2019 10:16 AM

Why they soak a plastic film with water is beyond me, the water is not going to penetrate the plastic film to get to the glue if there is any. Hot water I could understand, it could heat up and soften adhesive.

On some old cheap monitor sure why not for the heck of trying it, on a new expensive monitor would definitely not recommend removing the AG coating.

Plus glossy done right reflects much less than glossy with no coatings. The coatings don't have to be matteing it up they can be clear layers, not even plastic, this is normally done on glass where they coat it to reduce reflections. A pure untreated panel with no AR at all will be super reflective compared to a glossy that has been AR treated. Nothing better than to stare at your own reflection in a monitor all day every day.

A well made and AR treated glossy, yes nice. An AR coating removed glossy... not nice, it's a damn mirror.