Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Any Glossy 1440p or above IPS monitors? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1720316-any-glossy-1440p-above-ips-monitors.html)

junglechocolate 02-10-2019 09:48 PM

Any Glossy 1440p or above IPS monitors?

Hi

I've had a thickly bezeled Korean 1440p IPS monitor for a while. It does the job very well and does look crisper than my Dell Ultra sharp monitor even at a bigger size but this was one of the first Korean monitors and only has DVI. Any recommendations for a newer or reasonably sized 25 to 32" 1440p glossy monitors?

JackCY 02-11-2019 06:53 AM

No one makes glossy anymore.

Something like HP 27es may be close, ask others who have it.
Q3279VWF VA is close to glossy.

Chargeit 02-11-2019 07:00 AM

#Glossymasterrace :(

12345us3r 02-11-2019 08:40 AM

The AOC Q3279VWF's coating is as good as it gets, no matter how much you are willing to pay. Be warned, though. The VA panel smears a lot.

h2o ANALyst 02-11-2019 08:58 AM

I bought a Dell 27 inch G Sync 1440p @ 144hz and I love the thing, has a bunch of usb ports and full rotation. Great stand 10/10 would recommend. Here is a link for amazon so you know the exact one i am referring to. (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S.../dp/B0149QBOF0) Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC

junglechocolate 02-11-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 27848650)
No one makes glossy anymore.

Something like HP 27es may be close, ask others who have it.
Q3279VWF VA is close to glossy.

Yeah its sad they don't. But yeah, I'd take something as close to glossy as possible. But Not pure MATTE or aggresive AG coating

8051 02-11-2019 12:27 PM

What's so good about a glossy panel? Wouldn't it tend to reflect ambient light more?

Chargeit 02-11-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 27849046)
What's so good about a glossy panel? Wouldn't it tend to reflect ambient light more?

Glossy enhances colors and contrast. It's the reason you see glossy panels on phones, tablets, laptops and AIO's that are competing with each other in a showroom. A glossy screen just pops. Though the trade off is you have to worry about ambient light and possible glare. If you can control the lighting then a cheap glossy screen will look better then an expensive screen using a matte coating.

Kaltenbrunner 02-11-2019 02:52 PM

Glossy still scares me too much. I can remember how bad reflections were on big CRT TVs growing up.

If I moved into the wrong house, with the wrong lighting and windows, and had crazy reflections, I'd go crazy.

If I had more money tho, I'd buy both, and a robot arm to switch between monitors when ever needed. Glossy must look so nice sometimes. Never had 1 before, all went with matte.

junglechocolate 02-11-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner (Post 27849236)
Glossy still scares me too much. I can remember how bad reflections were on big CRT TVs growing up.

If I moved into the wrong house, with the wrong lighting and windows, and had crazy reflections, I'd go crazy.

If I had more money tho, I'd buy both, and a robot arm to switch between monitors when ever needed. Glossy must look so nice sometimes. Never had 1 before, all went with matte.

A curtain solves most of those problems and or proper placement. I'll take the glare over teh muted picture you get from AG coating. its so gross and dull. My old 27" 1440p Korean Potallion still looks way better than my 2016 25" 1440p Ultrasharp. Picture has so much pop and vibrance to it that AG severely hinders

Peter Nixeus 02-11-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglechocolate (Post 27848130)
Hi

I've had a thickly bezeled Korean 1440p IPS monitor for a while. It does the job very well and does look crisper than my Dell Ultra sharp monitor even at a bigger size but this was one of the first Korean monitors and only has DVI. Any recommendations for a newer or reasonably sized 25 to 32" 1440p glossy monitors?

If you are in the USA, I think we are still one of the only company that makes and ships Glossy 2560 x 1440 monitors:

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-2560x1.../dp/B00F2K4M0C

It has DP, HDMI, and Dual Link DVI inputs.

junglechocolate 02-11-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Nixeus (Post 27849418)
If you are in the USA, I think we are still one of the only company that makes and ships Glossy 2560 x 1440 monitors:

I AM! Thank you. I will check it out. at a glance, despite the thick bezels, it seems like what I'm looking for.

ToTheSun! 02-12-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Nixeus (Post 27849418)

You'd have had your own monopoly on this niche of the market if you had had released a glossy 1440p AHVA monitor with 144+ Hz. =(

You'd have certainly gotten my money instead of Viewsonic.

I know it's not that black and white to make monitors because you're dependent on how AUO produces the panels, but I think some consumers wonder whether the inexistence of high-end gaming monitors with glossy or semi-glossy panels is solely the manufacturer's fault or the assembler's, or, if it's the latter, if market studies absolutely invalidate, financially, the legitimacy of their existence altogether.

I mean, glossy and AR treated TV's have an obvious market.

JackCY 02-12-2019 02:39 AM

The only recent glossy were panels used in Apple monitors and some Korean monitors and probably also the Nixeus linked above it seems. Not sure Apple still does glossy monitors hence panel makers might have stopped manufacturing them (newer ones) if there is not big customer to buy glossy panels from them.

Semi glossy is the way to go but still hard to find. Pure glossy is a pain to use unless you're dark skinned living in a pitch black room, etc. Nothing better than to stare at your own reflection on a fully glossy monitor.

wiseman92 02-12-2019 05:35 AM

I am also looking for exactly the same thing, with minimal bezels and 24"-27" in 1440p, and I'm based in Asia. Any recommendations?

Nixeus is definitely out due to its hideous bezels.

elgreco14 02-12-2019 06:56 AM

What kind of coating do televisions use these days?

Chargeit 02-12-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgreco14 (Post 27850252)
What kind of coating do televisions use these days?

Usually a Semi-Gloss or gloss. They have to look good next to other tv's so they don't use matte.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...tte-and-glossy

ToTheSun! 02-12-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargeit (Post 27850284)
Usually a Semi-Gloss or gloss. They have to look good next to other tv's so they don't use matte.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...tte-and-glossy

To be more precise, high-end TV's have AR treated glossy panels. It's very different from the usual glossy panels you see on monitors. Some Apple monitors are AR treated, but they're the exception, not the norm.

junglechocolate 02-12-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 27850012)
The only recent glossy were panels used in Apple monitors and some Korean monitors and probably also the Nixeus linked above it seems. Not sure Apple still does glossy monitors hence panel makers might have stopped manufacturing them (newer ones) if there is not big customer to buy glossy panels from them.

Semi glossy is the way to go but still hard to find. Pure glossy is a pain to use unless you're dark skinned living in a pitch black room, etc. Nothing better than to stare at your own reflection on a fully glossy monitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27850368)
To be more precise, high-end TV's have AR treated glossy panels. It's very different from the usual glossy panels you see on monitors. Some Apple monitors are AR treated, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Is there a list of semi glossy monitors? I hate hate hate MAtte. I can deal with the coating I get on my C6 OLED TV. if pure glossy is very limited, then any list of semi glossy?

ToTheSun! 02-12-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglechocolate (Post 27850730)
Is there a list of semi glossy monitors?

There are a few monitors around that are semi-glossy, but they're all pretty low end, AFAIK.

junglechocolate 02-12-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27850848)
There are a few monitors around that are semi-glossy, but they're all pretty low end, AFAIK.

NO better than the Korean monitors?

ToTheSun! 02-13-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglechocolate (Post 27851126)
NO better than the Korean monitors?

Not to my knowledge, no. If you want something better, like 4K, you have to start looking at TV's.

There's the more recent 43" Philips monitors, which are semi-glossy, but they have problems of their own.

blodflekk 02-13-2019 02:25 AM

If you are in a pitch black room, like I am then a glossy screen is perfect. I have an old dinosaur HP2511x, its 1080p, 60Hz, TN. Everything that sounds terrible but it looks amazing, far better than it sounds and does a very good job for watching movies and playing games (with respect to color and image quality, not display frequency)

junglechocolate 02-13-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blodflekk (Post 27851400)
If you are in a pitch black room, like I am then a glossy screen is perfect. I have an old dinosaur HP2511x, its 1080p, 60Hz, TN. Everything that sounds terrible but it looks amazing, far better than it sounds and does a very good job for watching movies and playing games (with respect to color and image quality, not display frequency)

Yeah honestly, the glossy thing makes all the difference

deafboy 02-13-2019 10:38 AM

Ooh, keeping an eye on this.

My main panel is matte but I have a touch screen panel that is glossy and I love it for the colors.

junglechocolate 02-13-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 27851330)
Not to my knowledge, no. If you want something better, like 4K, you have to start looking at TV's.

There's the more recent 43" Philips monitors, which are semi-glossy, but they have problems of their own.

I already have an OLED 55" which is semi glossy. It has much better accuracy but the color don't pop quite as well as my Korean. I'd take the OLED in a heartbeat because of the blacks but glossy really makes a ton of difference

I use my smaller 27" to 32" for RTS games. trying to play RTS on a 55" screen is ridiculous

mosmike 02-28-2019 08:43 AM

Can't you just peel off the matte film?

mosmike 02-28-2019 08:46 AM

matte-glossy

can't you just peel off the anti glare film that is laid over the polarizer?
- sorry for double post, not sure how to delete.

- I bought the monoprice mp35 monitor/ 100hz, 1440 ultrawide, va panel. When it arrived it had a matte coating. It was unbearable. I did some googling and ultimately laid damp paper towels over the entire screen, kept them damp for 4 hours (screen was face-up) and then I removed the towels and carefully peeled off the anti-glare film. Bam! Glossy screen!

I have no idea if it is this will be bad in the long run since I think the polarizer film that is now exposed could deteriorate? no idea. Also, if the matte film tears while you are removing it, it is very difficult to 'pick it back up' without marring the polarizer it re-applied itself to. Maybe using a little spray bottle with warm soapy water to moisten the under side of the matte film as you peel it back to prevent it from sticking should it tear.

I know you can buy glossy/clear screen protector film but I never bothered to find the right film and/or the right size. It's the same idea as a glossy ipad screen protector I believe.

Anyway, just my experience.

https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-...m-lcd.1674033/

CallsignVega 02-28-2019 11:30 AM

I removed the AR film on my Asus PG278QR and it looks AMAZING.

JackCY 03-06-2019 10:16 AM

Why they soak a plastic film with water is beyond me, the water is not going to penetrate the plastic film to get to the glue if there is any. Hot water I could understand, it could heat up and soften adhesive.

On some old cheap monitor sure why not for the heck of trying it, on a new expensive monitor would definitely not recommend removing the AG coating.

Plus glossy done right reflects much less than glossy with no coatings. The coatings don't have to be matteing it up they can be clear layers, not even plastic, this is normally done on glass where they coat it to reduce reflections. A pure untreated panel with no AR at all will be super reflective compared to a glossy that has been AR treated. Nothing better than to stare at your own reflection in a monitor all day every day.

A well made and AR treated glossy, yes nice. An AR coating removed glossy... not nice, it's a damn mirror.

junglechocolate 03-17-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallsignVega (Post 27873284)
I removed the AR film on my Asus PG278QR and it looks AMAZING.

I'd like to find out how you did that lol

junglechocolate 03-17-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosmike (Post 27873090)
can't you just peel off the anti glare film that is laid over the polarizer?
- sorry for double post, not sure how to delete.

- I bought the monoprice mp35 monitor/ 100hz, 1440 ultrawide, va panel. When it arrived it had a matte coating. It was unbearable. I did some googling and ultimately laid damp paper towels over the entire screen, kept them damp for 4 hours (screen was face-up) and then I removed the towels and carefully peeled off the anti-glare film. Bam! Glossy screen!

I have no idea if it is this will be bad in the long run since I think the polarizer film that is now exposed could deteriorate? no idea. Also, if the matte film tears while you are removing it, it is very difficult to 'pick it back up' without marring the polarizer it re-applied itself to. Maybe using a little spray bottle with warm soapy water to moisten the under side of the matte film as you peel it back to prevent it from sticking should it tear.

I know you can buy glossy/clear screen protector film but I never bothered to find the right film and/or the right size. It's the same idea as a glossy ipad screen protector I believe.

Anyway, just my experience.

https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-...m-lcd.1674033/

Thanks for the post