Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Sound Cards and Computer Audio (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-sound-cards-computer-audio/)
-   -   PCIe card help please, similar to auzentech prelude (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-sound-cards-computer-audio/1720750-pcie-card-help-please-similar-auzentech-prelude.html)

Dunan 02-16-2019 10:21 AM

PCIe card help please, similar to auzentech prelude
 
Hey all, I have an auzentech prelude 7.1 PCI card in my old system, and love the sound but am having a hard time finding a PCIe replacement of the same quality. I'm currently looking at a few options like the ASUS Sound Card Essence STX II or the HT OMEGA eCLARO, with the outputs on the eCLARO being very similar to the auzentech, which would seem to be easier to use with my old Klipsch 4.1. As of right now, I cant get the rear speakers to work with any onboard audio regardless of the onboard setting (quadrophonic, etc).

The Asus has RCA outputs on the card I believe and a 4pin connection and that's where I run into issues with that card.

Do you guys have any suggestions I can try or how I can get the Asus to work with the Klipsch 4.1?

Tjj226 Angel 02-16-2019 11:59 AM

I assume you need a new pcie sound card because you upgraded your motherboard which no longer has PCI slots?

If that is correct, can you tell us what motherboard you got? There is a good chance your on board audio on your new motherboard is on par with these sound cards.

If not, I would go for the asus stx 2 card. All you need are some 3.5mm to RCA adapters and you will be good to go.

Dunan 02-16-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel (Post 27856122)
I assume you need a new pcie sound card because you upgraded your motherboard which no longer has PCI slots?

If that is correct, can you tell us what motherboard you got? There is a good chance your on board audio on your new motherboard is on par with these sound cards.

If not, I would go for the asus stx 2 card. All you need are some 3.5mm to RCA adapters and you will be good to go.

That is correct, there aren't any more PCI mobos left so PCIe it is. The motherboard I have is an MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC. Actually the onboard audio isn't bad at all but I cant use the Klipsch 4.1 I have as it won't engage the rear speakers and I have tried everything I can think of. Testing the rear channels thru software works but they won't come on for anything else. If I plug them into the auzentech they all work fine.

I heard that card is really good but the RCA outputs were throwing me off. I'd like to add that along with the Klipsch speakers I also use Sennheiser HD650's and an older headroom.com headphone amp FWIW.

Tjj226 Angel 02-16-2019 01:43 PM

So first things first, stick with your motherboard for audio and forget the sound cards. Your motherboard can do everything you want just fine AND it is a pretty nice custom sound solution, so there isn't any need to upgrade.......for now ; )

Second off, we need to get your rear speakers working with your motherboard.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I would follow in order to get things working.

1: Make sure your any extra audio drivers for your motherboard are installed.

2: Make sure you are plugging your speakers into the right port. Be sure to consult the mobo manual here.

3: Make sure both your motherboard's driver software AND windows is set to run for 4.1 or most likely 5.1 (not totally sure here since 4.1 is a sort of odd ball standard).

4: Make sure you are using multi channel test tones from youtube or a known source.

5: make sure you have removed all other audio drivers from your hard drive.

Hopefully we can get you running fairly quickly.

Darren9 02-16-2019 02:07 PM

^ It's a 4.0 I think @Tjj226 Angel , just front and rear channels (no center/sub), bass is filtered off later in the Klipsch. It should be possible to set "Quadraphonic" in the "Audio Channels" option if you "Configure" the onboard device in "Sound>Playback". I haven't actually done this myself for a 4.0 output from the onboard sound since Windows7 though.

Dunan 02-16-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren9 (Post 27856256)
^ It's a 4.0 I think @Tjj226 Angel , just front and rear channels (no center/sub), bass is filtered off later in the Klipsch. It should be possible to set "Quadraphonic" in the "Audio Channels" option if you "Configure" the onboard device in "Sound>Playback". I haven't actually done this myself for a 4.0 output from the onboard sound since Windows7 though.

It's a 4.1 but there is no sub output.

Darren9 02-16-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunan (Post 27856284)
It's a 4.1 but there is no sub output.

Is it a ProMedia? If not could you link to it please. I think it is a 4.1 but between the PC and the Klipsh is 4 full range channels, the Klipsh filters the sub-bass from the 4 full range channels it recieves and creates 4.1. You should set 4 speakers (Quadraphonic) in Windows sound.

Dunan 02-16-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren9 (Post 27856300)
Is it a ProMedia? If not could you link to it please. I think it is a 4.1 but between the PC and the Klipsh is 4 full range channels, the Klipsh filters the sub-bass from the 4 full range channels it recieves and creates 4.1. You should set 4 speakers (Quadraphonic) in Windows sound.


Yes, it's the old school 4.1 ProMedia setup. In the Auzentech drivers (on the other PC) it's set up as 4.1 as there is an option for it, but in the Realtek software and windows sound settings, both set to quadrophonic. I just tried a 4.1 sound test but its still acting like a 2.1. There is an audible hiss coming from the rears but its very light, but no real audio.

This is the test I just tried:


acquacow 02-16-2019 03:40 PM

Best audio these days for PCs is with an external USB DAC. You get power and data isolation and much cleaner D2A conversion, plus amplification if desired.

Don't go internal, there's way too much noise inside your case.

Dunan 02-16-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel (Post 27856240)
So first things first, stick with your motherboard for audio and forget the sound cards. Your motherboard can do everything you want just fine AND it is a pretty nice custom sound solution, so there isn't any need to upgrade.......for now ; )

Second off, we need to get your rear speakers working with your motherboard.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I would follow in order to get things working.

1: Make sure your any extra audio drivers for your motherboard are installed.

2: Make sure you are plugging your speakers into the right port. Be sure to consult the mobo manual here.

3: Make sure both your motherboard's driver software AND windows is set to run for 4.1 or most likely 5.1 (not totally sure here since 4.1 is a sort of odd ball standard).

4: Make sure you are using multi channel test tones from youtube or a known source.

5: make sure you have removed all other audio drivers from your hard drive.

Hopefully we can get you running fairly quickly.

Doublechecked 1-5, all pan out. I've never gotten this to work with any other motherboard either, hence why the Auzentech has gone thru 4 builds since purchase - that and it was a $250 sound card at the time. I'm stumped as to why the Klipsch wont work with any onboard sound motherboard I've tried to set it up with before just giving up and using the Prelude.

$$ for the Asus isn't a problem, and I know I'll be able (or SHOUD be able to use) it in future builds as well. I can say though, the audio from the board isn't bad by any stretch, but if I can't get the klipsch's to play with it, I'll have to get a card.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.