Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [AnandTech] The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Review (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1721110-anandtech-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-review.html)

steelbom 02-22-2019 06:10 AM

[AnandTech] The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Review

Quote:

When NVIDIA put their plans for their consumer Turing video cards into motion, the company bet big, and in more ways than one. In the first sense, NVIDIA dedicated whole logical blocks to brand-new graphics and compute features – ray tracing and tensor core compute – and they would need to sell developers and consumers alike on the value of these features, something that is no easy task. In the second sense however, NVIDIA also bet big on GPU die size: these new features would take up a lot of space on the 12nm FinFET process they’d be using.
Source

Additional reviews:

PCGamer
TechRadar
EuroGamer
Tom's Hardware

Jedi Mind Trick 02-22-2019 06:26 AM

Seems like a nice little card for anyone that does not want to spend the RTX money. I wonder what nV does if the GTX line sells well - are they going to keep splitting features out going forward?

Slaughtahouse 02-22-2019 06:32 AM

Maybe they will release at GTX 1670? I would love to buy a new card with 8GB memory and a 256bit bus... without paying the RTX tax.

Do it Nvidia!

Defoler 02-22-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick (Post 27864112)
Seems like a nice little card for anyone that does not want to spend the RTX money. I wonder what nV does if the GTX line sells well - are they going to keep splitting features out going forward?

Well the tuning cards have big GPU cores because of the extra tuning cores.
So they can't cost the same as the cards without them, and they are a bit of a wasted space if they aren't being used.

So it could be that nvidia will split the line, considering the tuning seems to not be as profitable and selling.
Making a high performing GTX line and extra feature more limited and higher priced RTX line.

It could be that currently they only made RTX in order to sell their new tech and in the hope that more developers use it. Once that is nailed down, they can split it up on the next release.

Of course they could stick with a split on the low range/high range. GTX to fight navi as the smaller cores without tuning will cost less to make, and RTX to fight whatever AMD is planing to bring next (if).

tpi2007 02-22-2019 06:57 AM

So, it's on par with a GTX 1070, not bad, a bit better than I expected. The price was predictable and on 12nm and with a bigger die size we can't expect anything different at this point really. I'd say that Nvidia could probably have hit a $249 price point though, but they don't have to because there is no competition.

AMD on the other hand will have to lower the price on the RX 590. But they were probably expecting that too; the existence of that card at that price was more to promote the low price of the RX 580 after the mining cool down, at this point they'll have to position the two cards a lot closer and eventually phase out the RX 580 (they probably aren't making any anymore). Now, the pricing of Vega 56, that will be interesting to see, it's a bit faster, but can they afford to sell it for that low for an extended period of time? That would actually be a good sign in a way, which would signal that HBM2 is getting more and more affordable. My bet is that they'll run a few promotions here and there to keep the illusion and hurry up the Navi card that competes in this segment as much as they can.

Anyway, the GTX 1660 Ti is in my opinion probably the most solid card in terms of overall balance in the whole line-up. The price is not optimal, though, but that affects the whole line-up to varying degrees.

ZealotKi11er 02-22-2019 07:02 AM

Why not get 2060? Its FE which was always more expensive. You get 14Gbps and more Cores. This should have been $250 max.

Hwgeek 02-22-2019 07:10 AM

+1, some AIB cards are too close to RTX 2060 pricing.

WannaBeOCer 02-22-2019 07:13 AM

Buy a RTX 2060, on your free time learn Python. Train neural nets using FP16. It's faster than a GTX 1080 ti by 26% at training.

Ding Chavez 02-22-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwgeek (Post 27864156)
+1, some AIB cards are too close to RTX 2060 pricing.

Agree this thing is OK not great. I was hoping for GTX 1070ti level and a bit cheaper. Power consumption and noise aren't great either for a low end card.

Jedi Mind Trick 02-22-2019 07:15 AM

B&H had the Ventus (MSI) dual fan for $260; which seems pretty solid.

Personally, I would get the Vega 56 over this card if similar prices, but mostly because I think the 3-game pack and the extra 2GB are worth the added noise from the reference cooler on it. Though this card has much better thermals/power consumption.

Seems like the sub-$300 range finally has some good upgrade-options for those rocking a 970-level GPU.