Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Tom's] Intel Confirms Apple Macs Will Switch to Arm CPUs by 2020, Says Report (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1721262-toms-intel-confirms-apple-macs-will-switch-arm-cpus-2020-says-report.html)

Imouto 02-24-2019 07:52 AM

[Tom's] Intel Confirms Apple Macs Will Switch to Arm CPUs by 2020, Says Report

Quote:

Intel officials and developers have reportedly told Axios that Apple is preparing to launch Arm-based Macbooks next year. The report follows a story from Bloomberg Wednesday saying that Apple plans on combining iOS and macOS applications by 2021.
Source

Hwgeek 02-24-2019 09:17 AM

MacBook Air and MackBook, MackBook Pro will keep using Intel&D.Graphics IMO.
Battery time and Profit per unit... ShareHolders gonna be happy :-).
Also in 2020 TSMC already gonna use improved 7nm+ or even 5nm, so Power and Thermal going to improve even more.

And I still think MacPro will not use Intel.

P.S I think ARM and other custom developed Asic's, etc' are bigger threat for Intel then AMD in the long run.3

tpi2007 02-24-2019 10:16 AM

One more step in the walled garden plan.

ZealotKi11er 02-24-2019 10:20 AM

So they will make their own CPU but what about GPUs? I know they make their own stuff for iPhone SOC but for Laptop it's another ball game.

AlphaC 02-24-2019 11:14 AM

It will likely be a glorified iPad or chromebook device if it's based on ARM.

xJumper 02-24-2019 12:05 PM

So they're dropping the entire x86 architecture? Going solo again.

I expected this to happen to a certain extent, they're trying to blur the lines between home computing and mobile computing; hopping to combine desktop/mobile into one. Microsoft seems to want to do the same with Windows/Windows Mobile. There must be some power constraint that going ARM solves that can't be done on x86 because other than that I don't understand it, they lose on every other front. I don't know how they would expect to compete, other than at the VERY beginning of their Power PC venture were they in the lead over Intel/IBM, didn't take long from them to get spanked and never recover. With the current economies of scale at work, you would be paying way more for something way crappier on ARM than with x86.

As for mobile/desktop being combined into one, that'll be the bane of computing if there ever was one. Just look at the web now, the mobile web vs the desktop web that we used to have, it sucks. Every website now, replaced nice logical drop down menus and text pages with giant icons, flashing crap, big emoji like buttons like it's a fisher price set because were three and we can't read. Were going backwards... I don't want my desktop to basically be a giant tablet. Microsoft tried that with Windows 8 and failed hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpi2007 (Post 27867006)
One more step in the walled garden plan.

The entire plan by the big three is to turn everything into a walled garden, you can see the steps being taken right now and the slippery slope it's headed down. Microsoft, Google, Apple, they're all doing it.

Microsoft is pushing the Windows app store hard, they don't like the old way of just downloading an .exe of the net. They are pushing the one OS model as well, software as a service, etc. They were the founders of the open garden that once was and now they're trying really hard to close it.

Google is pushing Chrome OS, same deal a really walled in OS. Android is for all intents and purposes just as walled in as iOS, people just don't see it because it all goes on in the background. In reality nothing runs without Google services, the few who have broken out and actually use pure Android need 101 workarounds for most things to work without Google.

Apple, original gangster of walled gardening. Controlling hardware/software even when there's no need for it.

The end game is, they're all pushing for this one OS thing, a software as a service OS that runs on all the devices, that you need to pay a sub for to use forever and that you dispose of and change the hardware every two years. You're basically gonna rent everything, hardware, software, services from them in perpetuity.

TK421 02-24-2019 01:55 PM

Maybe the idevice and macs can finally use the same OS now?

luisxd 02-24-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er (Post 27867018)
So they will make their own CPU but what about GPUs? I know they make their own stuff for iPhone SOC but for Laptop it's another ball game.

, maybe radeon or adreno? they already have some experience on the both fields, arm and gpus

PwrSuprUsr 02-24-2019 03:02 PM

I don't have see a problem with this so long as we get massive improvements in performance.

Imouto 02-24-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisxd (Post 27867348)
, maybe radeon or adreno? they already have some experience on the both fields, arm and gpus

They ditched PowerVR so they might be making an in-house solution.