Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/)
-   -   How do u reach GPU PCIe- latch ? without breaking stuff (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1721462-how-do-u-reach-gpu-pcie-latch-without-breaking-stuff.html)

Kaltenbrunner 02-26-2019 04:16 PM

How do u reach GPU PCIe- latch ? without breaking stuff

I have a huge silverarrow 2x140mm CPU cooler so it's always been tricky to un-latch the PCIe slot the past few years. My hands aren't fat, but there's barely any room for my hand when there's no GPU backplate. This time I have a backplate on the GPU, so that's good in a way, and I used a ruler to "hit" the button several times, for real, it's not easy to un-latch.

Then I put in a M.2 NVMe in the upper slot, and put the GPU back in. And there's barely 1-2mm from the PCIe latch, upwards to the M.2 drive, and it's not protected at all, just bare little SMD parts on a PCB. This is going to be SUPER SUPER RISKY to un-latch the GPU without hitting the M.2

It's crazy, I'm really worried. IDK if I could have used the lower #2 M.2 slot, never occurred to me, I was thinking #1 would always have to be used 1st.

What do u guys do or suggest ? If the tool jumps upwards at all, it's going to smash into the M.2

Cerberus 02-26-2019 04:41 PM

undo the screws on the pci bracket to the case, rock your card back and fourth slightly, it should loosen up/release the lock.

8051 02-26-2019 10:10 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about and I broke the PCIe latch on the slot closest to my CPU, but I haven't had any problems without it for three years now.

kill 02-27-2019 12:46 AM

I loosen screws on back then use something like a pencil or long screwdriver to unlatch it from the board

The_Rocker 02-27-2019 12:50 AM

Small flat blade screwdriver, usually wrapped in a bit of tape to stop it stabbing the board.

OneFunGenesis 02-27-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 27871080)
I know exactly what you're talking about and I broke the PCIe latch on the slot closest to my CPU, but I haven't had any problems without it for three years now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kill (Post 27871160)
I loosen screws on back then use something like a pencil or long screwdriver to unlatch it from the board

I have tried both of these methods. My first mobo the latch broke off immediately. Didn't pose any problem. This one, I use a long stick I have from an old driveway marker.

white owl 02-27-2019 05:28 AM

I cut a hole in the motherboard above the PCIE latch so I can get my finger in there.

GnarlyCharlie 02-27-2019 05:42 AM

Chopstick

BinaryBummer 02-27-2019 06:06 AM

Sounds to me like you could make a special tool to serve this purpose.

Dollar store screw driver bent to reach or even a Allen Wrench would work.

Put driver in the Motherboard box for easy find.

Kaltenbrunner 02-27-2019 07:05 AM

Ok so undo the screws that hold the GPU in, and then try to wiggle it loose. I'll try that 1st

Actually the metal ruler is probably a good tool, it's under 1mm thick and it's flat against the PCB backplate. Next time I'll use a lot more light, and put it right up against the latch, and tap it with something.