Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD (https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/)
-   -   RX 580 Mining Cards Worth? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1722078-rx-580-mining-cards-worth.html)

YumBlin 03-07-2019 10:12 AM

RX 580 Mining Cards Worth?

I'm making my first build using parts from my uncle kind of special. The motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and it has some nice blue accents, including the heat sinks. I really want a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 SE to go along with the blue, but I think $260-290 is a bit much. I've seen used mining cards for $150-190 that at least at first glance look to be in good condition. However, I am not experienced in how cryptocurrency mining affects a GPU, so could someone tell me why or why not it would be a good idea to get one of these?

TheHorse 03-07-2019 10:14 AM

Mining is never worth it, you're also being a dick by ruining video card supply.

tl;dr don't do it.

YumBlin 03-07-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27882134)
Mining is never worth it, you're also being a dick by ruining video card supply.

tl;dr don't do it.

Sorry not sure if you read my post fully. I’m wondering if a card previously used for mining is worth getting for the reduced price. I will not be doing any mining myself, I will be gaming on it.

TheHorse 03-07-2019 11:03 AM

I mean I read your post but it never clarified that you weren't going to use it for mining.

Some people will tell you video cards used for mining are perfectly fine and I disagree completely.

Think about it. If you're going to buy a used car, would you rather pay $8k for one that has been treated normally or $7k for one that has been driven by a 16 year old who admitted they abused it and every time they accelerated they floored it, never changed the oil, and ran over the biggest potholes and speed bumps they could find for fun? Really not at all worth it. It may be fine, but it's probably not going to be.

DarthBaggins 03-09-2019 09:41 AM

I just picked up a brand new RX 580 8GB for $169.99 from MicroCenter, I'd try to source one new for around that price if I were you. Plus it came with the choice of a couple games (Resident Evil 2, The Division 2 or Devil May Cry 5). The shroud on mine was black and the only accents were on the fan hubs - so you can paint the shroud if you like.
Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Cerberus 03-09-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27882226)
I mean I read your post but it never clarified that you weren't going to use it for mining.

Some people will tell you video cards used for mining are perfectly fine and I disagree completely.

Think about it. If you're going to buy a used car, would you rather pay $8k for one that has been treated normally or $7k for one that has been driven by a 16 year old who admitted they abused it and every time they accelerated they floored it, never changed the oil, and ran over the biggest potholes and speed bumps they could find for fun? Really not at all worth it. It may be fine, but it's probably not going to be.

Thank god that's your opinion...

kd5151 03-09-2019 10:40 AM

When buying used you're always taking a risk. However if it means saving money. Then it's a risk some are willing to take.

On the flipside which retailers can you purchase from? Maybe I can find something new with a better price tag. Also what CPU do you have? The ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard supports pile driver. AKA AMD FX series of cpu. Which could create a potential bottleneck. In that case. A RX 570 might be a better and cheaper option. Mostly putting an emphasis on the cheaper part. And your not wrong if you can get a used RX 580 for $150 or less that works just fine. I see a lot of those blue sapphire gpus on ebay when I look.

lightsout 03-09-2019 11:31 AM

I don't personally trust eBay as much because there's not much accountability. But on sites like this I'll happily but a mining card. Especially something cheap like a 580. I got a 1050ti the other day that was mined for 8 months.

Runs great. Get a card that has some warranty that you can use, meaning a company that allows warranty transfers. Preferably serial based.

white owl 03-09-2019 12:17 PM

Nothing wrong with most mining cards. To be as profitable as possible they're typically run at 70% TDP and much lower voltage and speed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27882226)

That's exactly how mining cards aren't treated. Do you really think they're treating their profit machine poorly?
You can't compare a machine to silicon that way, you just can't. Literally none of those things apply.
Mining cards are actually treated better than server cards since the researcher probably aren't underclocking and under volting their cards.

FWIW I'd gladly buy a mining card from a place like OCN.
The latest mining bubble was only about a year long so almost all the current "mining" cards are going to have a warranty so that's good.