Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/)
-   -   Drivers for RTX and GTX in same PC (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1722114-drivers-rtx-gtx-same-pc.html)

MrBalll 03-07-2019 06:47 PM

Drivers for RTX and GTX in same PC

I currently have two GTX 970's, not in SLI, and am running four monitors.
What I'd like to do is sale one of the GTX 970's and purchase an RTX 2080 and use it solely for my 1440p monitor for gaming. I would then use the one remaining GTX 970 and run three 1080p monitors for misc. things.

So I am wondering if:
A) can I use an RTX 2080 as my primary and run one monitor and use a GTX 970 to run three other monitors
B) how would I go about drivers for two different cards?

If specs are needed it is for the "New Gaming" pc in my signature. Fairly sure I'll have more than enough power, but let me know if not.

TheHorse 03-07-2019 07:03 PM

Nope. You can't. You'll need 2 separate computers.

The Pook 03-07-2019 07:27 PM

you don't need two drivers, just install 419.35. it's the latest driver for both cards. it'll detect both and work just fine. I ran a 1060 + 950 + 7850 just fine when I used to fold.

Even if the cards needed separate drivers (they don't), just install both drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27883056)

....no.

MrBalll 03-07-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 27883088)
you don't need two drivers, just install 419.35. it's the latest driver for both cards. it'll detect both and work just fine. I ran a 1060 + 950 + 7850 just fine when I used to fold.

Even if the cards needed separate drivers (they don't), just install both drivers.

I read several other threads on having two different GPU's and was confused by TheHorse's post so thanks for firsthand info and confirmation.

white owl 03-07-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Yep, the cards covered by the driver go all the way back to the 600 series.
You can also use Nvidia and AMD cards in the same rig if you install both drivers.
Games will run on the primary card.

TheHorse 03-08-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

....no.

Yeah no that's not how drivers work, drivers detect the card you have installed and install the appropriate drivers for the specific card. That's why you can't SLI say a 970 and a 980. Don't talk if you don't know what you're talking about.

skupples 03-08-2019 03:18 PM

maybe some freaky VM action, but that's it.

you can run different series on the same server, but not in SLi.

I don't get why he thinks he needs two drivers to run two different series card. They won't sli, n the drivers drive both.

if it'll actually work how you expect? I have no clue.

I did run AMD & NV in the same system for awhile. peripheral displays on AMD.

BroadPwns 03-08-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27884168)
Yeah no that's not how drivers work, drivers detect the card you have installed and install the appropriate drivers for the specific card. That's why you can't SLI say a 970 and a 980. Don't talk if you don't know what you're talking about.

xD. You can run two different Nvidias just fine, you only won't be able to use an SLI profile. Regardless, using 2080 and 970 on a gaming PC will provide only issues and worse performance.

The Pook 03-08-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27884168)

"Yeah no." :rolleyes:

Where did OP say anything about SLI? He wants to run a second monitor.

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about and it's not me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 27884182)
xD. You can run two different Nvidias just fine, you only won't be able to use an SLI profile. Regardless, using 2080 and 970 on a gaming PC will provide only issues and worse performance.

How will it reduce performance? Outside maybe higher temps from having multiple GPUs lowering boost clock it shouldn't affect it at all.

I agree though, it's a bit of waste, but it shouldn't hurt performance unless something's changed in the past few years since I mixed cards.

mattliston 03-08-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse (Post 27883056)

Incorrect.

You can even have AMD and Nvidia drivers operating each family of cards on the same computer.

The computer doesnt care what you have, as long as there IS A driver.

Nvidia and AMD both do a good job of allowing multiple generations of cards in the same system.

I did it with a 1080 TI and a gtx 770. Each drove a single monitor just fine.