Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [Steam] Capcom releases Denuvo-free version of Devil May Cry 5 by mistake, 20fps improvement over Denuvo version (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1722128-steam-capcom-releases-denuvo-free-version-devil-may-cry-5-mistake-20fps-improvement-over-denuvo-version.html)

KenLautner 03-08-2019 07:22 AM

[Steam] Capcom releases Denuvo-free version of Devil May Cry 5 by mistake, 20fps improvement over Denuvo version

Note: This has nothing to do with Piracy. A Denuvo-free version of Devil May Cry 5 was released on Steam's public branch. Copying the denuvo-free exe over the one which we actually get with the game shows a 20fps performance increase.

Quote:

A few hours after the game was released, there was a public branch on Steam, which was used by the QA team to ensure the game quality. (guess from the branch name)
This branch is not encrypted by Denuvo. Reasonably speaking, this branch should not be public.
Because the visibility of branch was public, the Denuvo free file we have.

FPS from 74 to 93, about 20 FPS improvement and more stable.
The data above was tested in the author's computer environment.

Source

Edit: Updated benchmarks by various outlets

DSOGaming (Reports 6-10fps loss)
Techpowerup (Reports 3-4% fps loss)
Eurogamer (Reports 10-13 fps loss)

Zurv 03-08-2019 07:32 AM

I wonder what the author's PC was? (something seems very of. If there is some hit with denuvo it isn't 20fps. (unless someone had a super gimped CPU.)

that said i'm having no problems playing around 100fps in 4k with the maxed settings...

fragamemnon 03-08-2019 07:34 AM

That's interesting.
Some people claim no performance difference. I am willing to bet their GPUs are pegged at 100% even when running the DRM version.

KenLautner 03-08-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurv (Post 27883574)
I wonder what the author's PC was? (something seems very of. If there is some hit with denuvo it isn't 20fps. (unless someone had a super gimped CPU.)

that said i'm having no problems playing around 100fps in 4k with the maxed settings...

https://youtu.be/CLXMDViSWKw

Going by their track record, DMC games are very well optimized (or requires very less resources if you may). I could run DmC in 4k60fps even on an old GTX 760.
I do think this needs more testing tho as we don't really know how Denuvo is implemented in this game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragamemnon (Post 27883576)
That's interesting.
Some people claim no performance difference. I am willing to bet their GPUs are pegged at 100% even when running the DRM version.

It's either that or their denuvo was not really working during the portion of the game they tested it.
I hope someone can research and see what all triggers denuvo's check in this game.

JackCY 03-08-2019 08:09 AM

Denuvo is a scam and developers are the victim while every customer of their product gets annoyed to the point they may not even buy the game or source it elsewhere without this crap of a wanna be piracy protection.

SoloCamo 03-08-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurv (Post 27883574)

https://youtu.be/CLXMDViSWKw

What gpu are you running?

I'm having zero problem running this at 4k Ultra on a V64. Games runs great which is a rare thing these days, especially on launch.

bigjdubb 03-08-2019 09:10 AM

Well that's an awful lot of speculation. It seems as though the only reason we have to believe that denuvo is the difference between the two exe's is because this guy said so. Either way it will be patched or fixed so that only the exe they want you to use will work.

Is this game any good, I'm supposed to get a code for it. I kinda sped through that gameplay video and it made me think of Duke Nukem as imagined through the mind of an anime fan.

KenLautner 03-08-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjdubb (Post 27883698)
Well that's an awful lot of speculation. It seems as though the only reason we have to believe that denuvo is the difference between the two exe's is because this guy said so. Either way it will be patched or fixed so that only the exe they want you to use will work.

Is this game any good, I'm supposed to get a code for it. I kinda sped through that gameplay video and it made me think of Duke Nukem as imagined through the mind of an anime fan.

Multiple tests report similar results and the graph above also shows more stable fps so it's hardly speculation. The exe difference is obvious, so Denuvo is the clear culprit here unless someone else proves otherwise.
DSOGaming did their own testing as well and saw performance improvement. Anyhow, when you receive the code you can try it yourself too. If capcom patchs the game to force you on the denuvo version, I think it'll be a pretty bad move.

The game itself is pretty good. It's a hack n slash done right. Old DMC fans can definitely love this one and even new fans can enjoy it.

bigjdubb 03-08-2019 12:29 PM

The performance difference isn't what I was talking about. I didn't see anything that showed what the differences are between the two exe's. He says that one is running Denuvo and one isn't, but how does he know that one is and one isn't? For all I know it's running faster because there is something else different between them besides Denuvo.

DNMock 03-08-2019 04:06 PM

Doesn't sound right. Never seen that much of a change on other titles purely from denovo.

Given that it's a test version, it's essentially a beta so more than likely there are further optimizations that are leading to more improvements but are not yet deemed stable enough for full release.

edit: Or denovo runs like crap/is poorly implemented on the RE2 engine.

Are there any titles developed on RE2 that had denovo but it was later removed, like monster hunter per chance?