Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD CPUs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/)
-   -   Threadripper freezes during renders with Adobe Media Encoder (https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1722206-threadripper-freezes-during-renders-adobe-media-encoder.html)

Jedi Ryan 03-10-2019 12:39 AM

Threadripper freezes during renders with Adobe Media Encoder

So I built a 1950x TR with the intention of it being able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it editing wise. I was having the same freezing issues a while back and someone on another forum said that I was having these issues due to my cpu being undervolted. So I upped it from 1.350v to 1.375v, which made no difference, so I pushed it to 1.40v and everything seemed to work fine. I recently have been taking on heavier work loads doing batch renders now and the freezing issues have started happening again. I know the easiest solution would be to just undo my OC, but I feel like I would be losing out on quite a bit of performance if I drop my cpu from 4.0 ghz down to stock 3.4 ghz. I also like to game on my PC from time to time and there is a noticeable difference at stock speeds. I use an EK Performance 360 water cooling loop so I have adequate cooling, temps never go above 60c even under full load so I don't think heat is the issue. I am wondering if pushing the voltage to 1.425v is safe or should I be going at this a different way? I can also provide screenshots if needed, don't hesitate to ask! I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that I can test. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

white owl 03-10-2019 01:15 AM

I'd get it stable and what ever voltage you're comfortable at. Supposedly up to 1.45v is safe but "safe" is very subjective.
Sounds like it just wasn't stable based off the little info I have. How did stress testing go?

rdr09 03-10-2019 01:39 AM

Op, no need to go all the way down to stock. Just lower your oc. Maybe 3.9GHz at 1.35V. Are you sure your RAM is stable?

Jedi Ryan 03-15-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white owl (Post 27885658)
I'd get it stable and what ever voltage you're comfortable at. Supposedly up to 1.45v is safe but "safe" is very subjective.
Sounds like it just wasn't stable based off the little info I have. How did stress testing go?

I use CINECENCH and OCCT for stability testing. Both tests complete without issue at stock clock speeds.

Jedi Ryan 03-15-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdr09 (Post 27885668)
Op, no need to go all the way down to stock. Just lower your oc. Maybe 3.9GHz at 1.35V. Are you sure your RAM is stable?

I should be able to achieve 4.0. I think my RAM is the problem as I recently upgraded from 32gbs to 64gbs. When I first put the new sticks in I was getting BSOD's instead of freezes. Since then I lowered the RAM speed from 3200mhz to 2933mhz and the BSOD's stopped but not the freezing occurs. Any suggestions as to how I can tweak my RAM? I have this kit: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820232488 I know that the RAM itself is not the problem as I have tested it with memtest86.

Nighthog 03-16-2019 02:29 AM

memtest86 isn't the only memory testing software, try some others like TestMem5 or Memtest in windows enviroment.
I found TestMem5 to be most practical and fast to find issues.

VeritronX 03-16-2019 02:49 AM

Ryzen has 0.25 multiplier increments, just drop the clocks by 25mhz at a time and see where it works? Maybe try lowering the ram speed a notch or two if 3.9ghz isn't low enough then once ram is low enough try upping the core again.

AmaKatsu 03-16-2019 08:30 AM

Threadripper freezes during renders with Adobe Media Encoder

by upgrade 32 to 64GB, you mean 8 dimm or just 4 dimm with size upgraded?

if 8 dimm, I think that may cause a problem. TR run quad-channel 4 dimm without problem like Non-TR run dual-channel 2 dimm. But when you go with full dimm slot, that will be another tale for stable. You may need to stock speed CPU and reconfig RAM and test again

by Memtest5 may give accurate result, try 10 cycle or more. while GSAT press more heat.

I have passed 20 cycle for Memtest5 but almost instantly crashed in GSAT
have to lower some SoC or DRAM voltage

Finally HCI Memtest, for 64GB I think that may the long hours for test, 100% per hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ryan 03-16-2019 07:08 PM

I went from 4 dimm's to 8 dimms.

I ended up dropping the CPU to 3.9ghz and the RAM to 1866mhz and now I'm stable in all stress tests. I was also able to successfully render 9 videos today without issue, so I guess now I just have to decide if the extra RAM is worth the sacrifice in memory speed. I may end up taking 32gbs out, putting the CPU back to 4.0ghz and the RAM back to 3200mhz, since it was stable and compare render times. I also want to compare the gaming performance of the two configurations and see what the results are.

I attribute my success thanks to the discovery of this chart: https://www.overclock.net/forum/atta...9&d=1518612831

chrisjames61 03-16-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi Ryan (Post 27895092)
I went from 4 dimm's to 8 dimms.

I ended up dropping the CPU to 3.9ghz and the RAM to 1866mhz and now I'm stable in all stress tests. I was also able to successfully render 9 videos today without issue, so I guess now I just have to decide if the extra RAM is worth the sacrifice in memory speed. I may end up taking 32gbs out, putting the CPU back to 4.0ghz and the RAM back to 3200mhz, since it was stable and compare render times. I also want to compare the gaming performance of the two configurations and see what the results are.

I attribute my success thanks to the discovery of this chart: https://www.overclock.net/forum/atta...9&d=1518612831

1866? Do you mean 2666?