Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   New Aquacomputer D5 pump has become noisy after only a couple of weeks (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1722264-new-aquacomputer-d5-pump-has-become-noisy-after-only-couple-weeks.html)

Zammin 03-11-2019 12:58 AM

New Aquacomputer D5 pump has become noisy after only a couple of weeks

Hi everyone

Only a few weeks ago I finished my latest watercooling loop. I used an Aquacomputer D5 PWM purchased new from Aquatuning and it was very quiet for a few weeks, but now it makes the noise in the video. It gets worse at certain speeds but can be heard all throughout the entire PWM range.

The pump was running at around 2400RPM (10% PWM) in the video. If you can't hear it try turning the volume up, it was recorded on my phone but it's particularly audible and annoying when the system is at idle (fans at 600RPM, relatively quiet environment).

I'm assuming this means it's faulty and I have put in a request with Aquatuning but incase it might be something I can fix myself, has anyone here heard this before? Any advice? It's very odd, I've never heard of a D5 pump going bad this fast (other than maybe those Alphacool VPP D5 copies).

I doubt Aquatuning will do an advance RMA so unless there's something I can do to fix it I will need to try and return for a refund so I can buy another pump elsewhere first, otherwise I will be without my PC for however long it takes them to replace it.

ezveedub 03-11-2019 01:01 AM

Did you take the pump apart and check the impeller for anything in it? Might want to do that before going RMA. I’ve only had one D5 make noise and it was right after fully bleeding a system and then running it at close to full speed. Never found anything wrong inside and it was replaced by EK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoMBrA 03-11-2019 01:18 AM

Check impeller as suggested. Use some specific product to clean it and should be fine!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Zammin 03-11-2019 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezveedub (Post 27886658)
Did you take the pump apart and check the impeller for anything in it? Might want to do that before going RMA. I’ve only had one D5 make noise and it was right after fully bleeding a system and then running it at close to full speed. Never found anything wrong inside and it was replaced by EK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoMBrA (Post 27886668)
Check impeller as suggested. Use some specific product to clean it and should be fine!

I haven't pulled it from the system yet, but I did check it before installing it. While bleeding and testing the system I had an inline filter installed. However this noise only began a few weeks after the final assembly.

When I take it out I'll check it for debris again.

SoMBrA 03-11-2019 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zammin (Post 27886682)
I haven't pulled it from the system yet, but I did check it before installing it. While bleeding and testing the system I had an inline filter installed. However this noise only began a few weeks after the final assembly.

When I take it out I'll check it for debris again.

I would recommend getting rid of the filters. Gave me a lot of problems with flow

Zammin 03-11-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoMBrA (Post 27886688)
I would recommend getting rid of the filters. Gave me a lot of problems with flow

Thanks, yeah it was only during the test period. No filter now.

ThrashZone 03-11-2019 11:33 AM

Hi,
Only time I've notice sound from my pump is if there was a clog.
I use filters they catch what I don't want my cpu/ gpu blocks to catch :)

go4life 03-11-2019 11:36 AM

Recommend a better fluid in that case.. Also the Alphacool and AquaComputer VPP/D5/Other series are certainly not copies.

ciarlatano 03-11-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go4life (Post 27887538)
Recommend a better fluid in that case.. Also the Alphacool and AquaComputer VPP/D5/Other series are certainly not copies.

The Alphacool VPP755 is ABSOLUTELY a D5 "compatible" knockoff, with an absolutely horrific service record and is what @Zammin was referring to - https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...-problems.html

cloppy007 03-11-2019 01:59 PM

I wouldn't rule out electrical noise yet, but, as others have said... check the impeller. It should be pristine even if it's 2 weeks old; mine is 4yo and still is. Besides that, are you sure it's not a coupling/vibration issue?